PDA

View Full Version : Chain Question

bigreddaddy
12-03-2007, 02:19 AM
Can you soak an old, dirty, rusty chain in motor oil to bring it to a decent working condition? I did a search but didn't really find anything, but I thought I had read about someone cleaning them with oil.
I know a chain doesn't cost that much but I'd rather not spend $$$ if the one I have can still be used.

RedRider_AK
12-03-2007, 04:11 AM
If it's non-o-ring, you can soak it in kerosene to get the rust off, and then give it a good soak in some motor oil. Be sure to wipe it off before riding unless you like greasy dirt on your chain. After you wipe it off, spray it with a good quality chain lube (not WD40 or PB Blaster)

Huffa
12-03-2007, 07:02 AM
You know the history of the chain, how far back on the adjusters was it ?

There is no use spending time cleaning it if the chain is shot to begin with.

What type of machine is it on .

If it's good yet I'd wire brush it to get the rust off, use kero or diesel to clean it good , then use some Honda or Belray Super Clean lube, both those lubes don't attract dirt and the Honda goes on clear while the Belray is like a whitish/grey color.

If it's rusted that bad and is a oring they say don't wire brush them but those O-rings are pretty strong, I already did with no problems.

The side plates are no biggie, just take care with not too much pressure on o-rings and they should be fine.

If you can lift the chain off the rear sprocket teeth a fair amount with it properly adjusted, the chain is shot.