PDA

View Full Version : my first yamaha!

Jim mac
12-01-2007, 01:27 AM
so all the other trikes ive had for some reason were always hondas. then this hybrid shows up on craigslist. it was advertised as a part yamaha part honda trike. but the more I look at it, (i'll post pics later) I think its just a 84 yamaha ytm200el. its a 200cc motor, electric start, shaft drive. its set up for a key, neutral indicator light. really wide looking triples, 25 12 9 tires on the rear, 25 13 9 on front, trike came with a new battery, guy said if you jump it, the solenoid gets hot, but it does get spark, but if you use the recoil it wont spark. the thing is missing all the plastics, but I got a great deal on it. So I guess im back up to 5 trikes again. Jim

Jim mac
12-01-2007, 08:15 PM
isnt much to look at, but here it is in all its glory. I just cant get spark. and its kind of naked without plastics. anyone got any? jim

bigreddaddy
12-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Check the stator/electrical wires with a meter. I like those wide forks.

Jim mac
12-01-2007, 09:34 PM
are those forks stock for yamaha? jim

rally4x4racer
12-01-2007, 10:06 PM
is that frame chromed?

Vealmonkey
12-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Are you going to be fixing it up pretty nice or will you just try to basically get it running to be a rider? What do you plan on changing? Maybe getting a nice exhaust? Since the trike looks a little crusty make sure to check all your electrical connections very well and make sure all your ground wires have good contact and are not rusty. Are those honda forks on the front of that trike. The yt175 forks I put on my yt125 are way different looking than that. I believe I have a protec exhaust that would fit that trike. It's NOS but has some shelf wear and I think a ding or 2 but way nicer than a stocker.

Yamada
12-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Those forks are stock yamaha unit.
The triple tree are supposed to be black but it seems that the last owner like the bling :lol:
Painted gas tanks without the tank cover.

What is your truck, a el camino???

Jim mac
12-01-2007, 11:06 PM
well I fired it up! I dont think it smokes. I still need to figure the wiring for the starter solenoid. someone cut the harness from the key switch so ive got 2 blue, a black a black white and a red wire, I gotta figure where its got to go. But it seems to run okay. I have to remount the tank, and see if the carb holds fuel. Im hoping maybe edog has some plastics for it.
the truck is a 68 el camino. We have a 71 that we're hoping to make a bracket car out of. nothing fast, hoping for 14s or if lucky high 13s. Jim