PDA

View Full Version : good or bad idea

rip_1986
11-29-2007, 11:21 AM
i have a 84 200x frame laying around just needs a motor. well the other day i found an old honda 550 street bike. and am thinking about putting the 550 motor in the 200x, good or bad idea and how hard would it be?

booblinker
11-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Good idea :p

TwoHundredEx
11-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Somewhat bad idea, it might go fast in a straight line IF you can get it to to fit, but it'll be heavy and handle like crap.
Not to mention, you'll have a whole lotta frame modifications you'll need to do, routing the exhaust won't be easy, you'll have to figure out a rear brake setup, and depending on where the carbs sit, you'll have to modify the rear shock.
But, if you have the ability, and don't plan on trail riding it, you could do it..

rip_1986
11-29-2007, 11:49 AM
ya i figure i would use for sand duns riding only, then trade if off for someything els...............if not what all motors can i fit in the 200x with out alot of modifications ?

TwoHundredEx
11-29-2007, 11:59 AM
125cc 2 strokes fit in there, but still require a little modification, definitely not as much as the 550 would.

rip_1986
11-29-2007, 12:14 PM
like what will need moded

oldsking86
11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Obviously the mounting areas where you bolt the motor in. Possible notching of the frame but I'd doubt it be very extensive. A nice 125cc 2 stroke would rip in that little thing

cr480r
11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
I dont thinks its a very good idea... It will be too heavy and handle poor... and it will still get smoked in drag races... A 250 or 500 2-stroke would be much nicer IMO...

RedRider_AK
11-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Almost all Honda 185 and 200cc 4-stroke trike engines fit in the 200X chassis. It's fairly easy and called an "Auto-X", because the there's a semi-auto clutch on those engines. Pretty fun project too. Pick up an older ATC200S or something and stick that motor in there. Plenty of threads about it here on the forum.

Erics350x
11-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Almost all Honda 185 and 200cc 4-stroke trike engines fit in the 200X chassis. It's fairly easy and called an "Auto-X", because the there's a semi-auto clutch on those engines. Pretty fun project too. Pick up an older ATC200S or something and stick that motor in there. Plenty of threads about it here on the forum.

I have yet to understand why you would waste the time to put an S motor in a X. Maybe if you just can learn to ride with a clutch? Why not find a cheap rebuilder X motor?
If you jusy want something different go with a 125 or 250cc 2 stroke, or better yet a Rotax.

TwoHundredEx
11-29-2007, 08:26 PM
I have yet to understand why you would waste the time to put an S motor in a X. Maybe if you just can learn to ride with a clutch? Why not find a cheap rebuilder X motor?
If you jusy want something different go with a 125 or 250cc 2 stroke, or better yet a Rotax.

I'm not really sure why people do it either, I mean, if they have a blown X and a good running 185/200 then sure, that makes sense, but other than that, I don't know.
When I first heard about the 125 2 stroke being put in there I didn't think it would have enough power but a lot of people seem to think different and I'm glad because that means my 175X should haul :D
But seriously, I'd look into a 125cc 2 stroke. An older air cooled model would probably be easier since you wouldn't have to worry about rad placement. Exhaust will probably end up being the most difficult, I had a hell of a time getting mine to fit, but since the 125's are smaller, I doubt it would be as hard. I don't think you'd have to mod the frame either, just make new mounts. Then theres just a bunch of little things to take into consideration like the shifter will probably need to be extended, rear brake setup, rear kick, chain alignment/height, etc.

84honda200s
11-29-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm not really sure why people do it either

i did it because i had a 200s engine that was not stock by any means. thats all i stsarted with. i just bought parts little by little and now its starting to look like a x. allot of the parts were given to me cheap or free and needed some "help" but none the less it works, moves, and i hope will look good soon. i used the s engine because im too dam broke to buy a x engine. besides i hear bad thing about the kick starter shafts on the x. id rather pull a pull starter off than pull a engine apart to fix the kicker. but hell i wish i had a manual. now just think how sweet it would be .... a manual with a pull start.

anyways back to the subject: that big of a motor would tare that frame to hell. thats if you could get it to fit. even with allot of frame mods it will not go easy. carbs and motor mounts would be a big issue. the exhaust wont be that easy either. as said by other members.... put i pinger in that bad boy.

The Goat
11-29-2007, 08:50 PM
what's a rotax...yes i'm a noob

84honda200s
11-29-2007, 08:53 PM
what's a rotax...yes i'm a noob

a rotax is a kick butt engine. normally found in ski-doo sleds and bombardier quads. ooo yea and tiger trikes. they are/use to be made in canada. god i love them motors.

TwoHundredEx
11-29-2007, 09:06 PM
i did it because i had a 200s engine that was not stock by any means. thats all i stsarted with. i just bought parts little by little and now its starting to look like a x. allot of the parts were given to me cheap or free and needed some "help" but none the less it works, moves, and i hope will look good soon. i used the s engine because im too dam broke to buy a x engine. besides i hear bad thing about the kick starter shafts on the x. id rather pull a pull starter off than pull a engine apart to fix the kicker. but hell i wish i had a manual. now just think how sweet it would be .... a manual with a pull start.

anyways back to the subject: that big of a motor would tare that frame to hell. thats if you could get it to fit. even with allot of frame mods it will not go easy. carbs and motor mounts would be a big issue. the exhaust wont be that easy either. as said by other members.... put i pinger in that bad boy.

Well see I completely understand that, you already had the engine, I just find it kind of odd when someone goes out and buys an auto engine for their X, when that money could be used to rebuild the stocker.

NINJA
11-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah, putting that cb550 four powerplant (did i guess right) in there is a bad idea. You'll end up with a redneck POS trike that'll be worth less money then when it was a rolling chassis. Why not try putting a crf230 motor in it? Looks like it would almost bolt up.

rip_1986
11-30-2007, 02:13 AM
well guys thanx just an idea. and not a good one, i dont a have the money to be dumpimg on a motor, spend it all on R\C stuff so it looks like in will be put on hold unless any of you guys have a cheap motor for sale.

RedRider_AK
11-30-2007, 01:57 PM
they are/use to be made in canada.

Rob, they are used to be made in Austria (the little country above Germany). The stuff made in Canada is the actual snowmobile/jetski/quad that they go into.