PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225dx jumps when you put it in first gear ??

bushwacker51
11-28-2007, 02:32 PM
I rebuilt the motor in my yamaha 225dx and when you put it in gear it jumps foreward and if you apply the breaks it dies. I messed with the nut on the side of the case and it makes no difference. I put all new clutch parts in the motor including a new basket. I put the trike on jack stands and started the motor and ran it through the gears and it shifted fine but whan you put it in first gear the tires will not stop turning . It almost acts like the clutch will not disegage. The motor was put together this summer and I did soak the new discks in oil. Any ideas what the problem is????. Thanks for any ideas in advance. Also in case you are reading this e-dog I do have a manual. Thank Glenn O.

RedRider_AK
11-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Are you sure you have the clutch set up properly? It could also be that your idle is set too high and the clutch doesn't want to disengage even when you have it set properly.

The proper clutch nut setting is to

- unlock the locknut
- turn the slotted bolt counter clockwise until you feel resistance
- turn it 1/4 turn clockwise
- tighten the locknut again while holding the bolt in place.

But you already knew that. ;)

bushwacker51
11-28-2007, 07:23 PM
I thought I set the clutch up correctly. But one never knows. I really dont think its the idle. It seems like it jumps when it is put in gear. I am going to mess with it a little tonight. Glenn O.

bushwacker51
11-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Well I found the problem.When I rebuilt the motor I put a new horse shoe clutch in the primary clutch. When it arrived it was different. I called power sports pro where I bought it and they said it was the upgraded clutch. So I put it in. Here is the problem. On the old clutch there is a raised collar on the back of the clutch where the splines go through the clutch. There is a large washer {shim} that goes over this spline and will press against the one way bearing. The new clutch is welded where the raised collar is and does not allow the shim to fit over the collar. Also the rivits on the new clutch are not counter sunk so the shim if it did fit would hit the top of the rivits. So when put together with new clutch and old shim it puts to much pressure on the cluth housing and dosent alow the clutch to dissenguage. Yamaha shows a different part number for the shim that goes with the latter clutch. So I will call today and keep you posted. Glenn O.

RedRider_AK
11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Yep, that'll do it. Tell us what turns out.

bushwacker51
11-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Well I talked to the guys at power sports pro and the sales person did not know a thing (imagine that). I talked to the guy in the service department and he didnt know a thing either (imagine that). He called the yamaha tech line and the guy on the tech line didnt know a thing either (imagine that). So I bought the shim they have listed for the new style clutch and will hope for the best. I will keep you posted on the out come. Glenn O.

bushwacker51
12-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Just an update in case anyone ever runs into this problem. I recieved the shim from yamaha today. It is thinner then the original 1986 shim. I put the thinner shim in the motor and it worked great didnt jump when you put it in gear. So I learned if you put in a new updated primary cluch you Must use the thinner shim for the updated cluch to work. Glenn O.