PDA

View Full Version : Tecate project

ATCT
11-26-2007, 01:35 PM
So, I have a question for you guys. I got the Tecate over the long weekend, and while it's in decent shape, it does need some work, most of which is cosmetic.

So, the question is this? Do you think it's worth putting the time and money into it when I already have a 250R that will be my main driver, or, should I simply replace the flywheel & stator and then sell it or try to trade it for something less similar to an R such as a Big Red or 250SX--something that I don't mind or won't worry about other people riding (with obviously training them first) or that I can take out when I just want to relax and cruise the trails?

Although I think it would be cool to have a nice Tecate (not to mention, I like projects to an extent), I also don't want to sink a bunch of money into it, struggle looking for parts, and then never really ride it or want to ride it as it'll be too similar to the R--2-stroke, manual clutch, fast, etc.

What do you think?

ccdhowell
11-26-2007, 01:45 PM
I'd say Tecate's are their own reward. The differences are many in detail and enough to probably allow you to enjoy the Tecate as a project and as a ride. I know the engine and suspension feel totally different. Yes, both are fast, the Tecate is different. You need to ride a fresh Tecate engine just to be a well-rounded triker.

ATCT
11-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the comment. That's interesting. I've obviously heard they're faster than the R. The other thing about getting, say, a 250SX or a Big Red, is whether after riding an R, I'm going to be completely bored on the SX or Red.

Well, I'll keep taking suggestions before I make a decision....

NE250r
11-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Id definitely say keep it! Make it an old school racer project. Most will agree, theres nothing like blasting sideways out of a corner on a raced out t3. They sit nice and low, and all you gotta do is widen it up a little and they are the best pit rippers and track monsters. I deeply regret selling mine.. it was a red one too :drool:

chris200x
11-26-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm gonna recommend the total opposite of what everybody else says (I like to be diffrent anyways!) Anywho... If you already have 2 stroke.. I say sell that one (without trying to sink too much money into it) and get yourself that SX or Big Red. Nothing better for the trails than electric start and reverse! then... when you get the urge to go fast... you'll always have that R to hop on to feed the need.

Any trike.. escecially the Tecate (IMO) can turn into a money pit right quick and the resale value on these old trikes isn't very good. Don't plan on sinking a ton of cash into it and think you'll get it all back when you resell it. Ain't gonna happen (unless you go for a full OEM restore.) which requires endless amounts of time and money searching for parts.

ATCT
11-26-2007, 04:33 PM
That's sort of the way I've been feeling, Chris. Sometimes, especially in our neck of the woods, riding a 2-stroke racer becomes serious WORK. I mean, it's still fun, but you really have to ride it due to the tight and rocky trails, y'know? I figured it might be cool just to have a trike to go and chill on.

Still pondering....

chris200x
11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
I can almost garuntee you'll fall in love with an SX or RED around these parts bud! Yeah the smokers are fun... but when it comes time to ride the rocky technical tight stuff and the mud. nothings better IMO.

Clean the tecate up a bit to make it run and look half decent.. sell it and buy yourself something that wont take alot of maintenance and not nickle and dime you to death. Those REDS and SX's will run pretty much forever if ya keep a little oil in them!

Good luck to you in whatever direction you decide to go!

digity x
11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
the t3 is a trike that when you ride it you say wow,a 4stroke trike is tamed down to a fun level of enjoyment were you can ride it all day long but not be worn all out from working a 2 stroke i like them both the same they both are great i have both and love them to death,i would keep it and fix her up and ride away.best of both worlds is a good thing.

ATCT
11-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks man. I've always wanted a Big Red.... Ugh, now to selling the thing. Maybe someone on here will want it or trade me.

chris200x
11-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks man. I've always wanted a Big Red.... Ugh, now to selling the thing. Maybe someone on here will want it or trade me.

Thats probably your best bet. find someone to trade straight up (on either forums) this saves the hassles of ebay or paying for an add in the local classifieds. I know brapp has a few SX's he's been trying to get rid of.

ATCT
11-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I just posted it in the classifieds. We'll see what happens, I guess. If nothing, I'll just restore it and make it a Jimmy White racer or something.

cr480r
11-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Honestly.. the only advantage the heavy 4-stroke atc's have over a 2-stroke is less noise and better fuel economy... A properly tuned 2-stroke IMO is a better trail machine.... Lighter and more stable...

P.S.......... I would fix the tecate and ride it before making a decision... you may end up wanting to sell the R...

Tri-Z Pilot
11-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I had an sx and kick myself all the time for selling it years ago. I doing the two stroke/ four stroke thing right now. Have an 86200x that is about trail ready (will be used to just cruise or for trikally challenged people to ride).:D While in the meantime I am about to start a liquid r build from scratch cause I decided that's the next thing I wanted (never even rode an r). The way I figure it's the best of both world, but then again when I hit the powerball, I will have every single trike ever made. Wishful thinkin I guess. Whatever you decide I bet you will be happy in the long run. Good luck!

RID3R
11-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I would keep it, though they dont bring much in sale, I still dont think its worth as much as an sx or red. Just my opinion. You can mod it for the trails.. Parts are not as hard to find as people say too..

ATCT
11-26-2007, 10:00 PM
I had an sx and kick myself all the time for selling it years ago. I doing the two stroke/ four stroke thing right now. Have an 86200x that is about trail ready (will be used to just cruise or for trikally challenged people to ride).:D While in the meantime I am about to start a liquid r build from scratch cause I decided that's the next thing I wanted (never even rode an r). The way I figure it's the best of both world, but then again when I hit the powerball, I will have every single trike ever made. Wishful thinkin I guess. Whatever you decide I bet you will be happy in the long run. Good luck!

That's pretty much the way I was--always a 4-stroke guy, never rode a 2-stroke before I got my R. I just always wanted one so I said why not. And now that I've got it, I love it. I really like the additional power it has for when I need it, and it is a good trail bike. It's just not as "easy" as an auto clutch. I guess the thing is, perhaps I WON'T like the bigger, heavier, slower 4-strokes I'm looking at now.

Man, I dunno. I have a feeling, no one is going to give me a tempting offer anyways, so I'll probably just end up keeping and restoring the Tecate and have a different ride to rest the R.