PDA

View Full Version : Atc Insurance - Who Has It??

Rustytinhorn
11-25-2007, 03:03 AM
I hope this is the right forum, as it is 3 wheeler related.

How many riders here have some sort of insurance policy for your trikes?
I am looking at getting insurance and trying to explore all my options. On the one hand, I was looking for something like the basic liability coverage where it would cover the personal injuries and property damage of anyone I might run into. And also one that would cover my PI and PD if I were to crash into myself.
Then on the other hand, it would be nice to have something to cover my atv's against theft or vandalism.
At first I was reluctant to look into insurance for my atv's. But the more I think about it the smarter of an idea it becomes. Accidents arent planned for, and with the way that MaryAnn is sueing JoeBlow for thousands of $$ because of her "mental anguish" over a broken fingernail or whatever, it wouldn't take much for one personal to loose everything they own for the rest of their lives.
Seriously, I mean its to the point where if I were to crash, someone could probably sue me for the "mental anguish" it caused them to watch me crash!!!! Or for the exhaust of mine they had to sniff and it caused them lung cancer and deformed their children, or for the sand I whipped up that got in their eye.
Anyways, back to the subject. I'm just curious as to what everyone else has going. I know Geico just started offering ATV insurance of somesorts. I know it might get to the point where I end up paying for what the bike is worth in insurance, but if it were to get stolen out from under my nose and I hadn't done everything possible to stop it, I would be sick. Hey, who knows, then maybe I could sue the thief for the "anguish" he caused me by not being able to go riding and releive my stress anymore. lol (That ought to be worth millions of dollars in its self!!)
Thanks

stealthduner
11-25-2007, 04:36 AM
My family and i have always carried insurance on our ATC's. We use State Farm (which is also our car insurace provider) And they are pretty reasonable to us anyway. Our 250R's are about $12 a month, and the 250SX's are about $8 a month for full coverage. I know we never use it but last summer my sister was doing wheelies and crashed, brake her perfect factory plastic on her 83 250R and they paid for replacements (minus deductable)

Unfortunatly I didnt know you could claim this a couple years ago when i endo-ed my 250R and bent my forks,

Rustytinhorn
11-25-2007, 04:47 AM
Thats exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thanks.
Any others please comment also.

ChrisD
11-25-2007, 08:39 AM
I also use State Farm and have a $2 million general liability umbrella policy. It covers my ATC's, cars (in addition to regular insurance), home etc. I pay about $160 per year for it. That is cheap in my mind and well worth the coverage. The F'ing lawyers are out of control in this country and people won't take responsibility for their own actions, so you need to protect yourself. Plus the cops can't give you grief either.

deathman53
11-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I wish insurance was that cheap, the cheapest I could get was $400. why can't NJ get this cheap insurance too??? Only 1 insurance company in NJ will cover 3 wheelers and charge you out the butt.

p26575r16
11-25-2007, 03:59 PM
I have state farm insurance as well. I insure a new car (2004), an old truck ('70 c20), my '86 350x, a 2005 sportsman 500, a 2005 atv trailer, renters insurance, and life insurance. All of it is full coverage, and I pay $180 a month for everything. My '86 350x is about $2.00 a month, and the 2005 Sportsman is $9.00 a month, The trailer is only $.83 a month. I do have a very good driving record and I believe that helps a lot, I have looked into other insurance companies, but state farm was the cheapest with the best coverage (just because it may be cheaper is not always better). I will say though, I do have my streetbikes insured with progressive. State farm was way higher with worse coverage on them.

Rustytinhorn
11-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I have a clean driving record, so hopefully that will help. lol. I guess I will be calling State Farm and seeing what I can come up with for coverage. It will be worth it.
Thanks again.

ChrisD
11-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Oh...and they do not surcharge sport bikes as well. I have had some crazy street bikes in the past, including a 900RR and 954RR and State Farm was awsome. Geico wanted $4000 per year, Progressive wanted $1700 per year and State farm charged me $400 for the same coverage.

rally4x4racer
11-26-2007, 12:38 AM
I also use State Farm and have a $2 million general liability umbrella policy. It covers my ATC's, cars (in addition to regular insurance), home etc. I pay about $160 per year for it. That is cheap in my mind and well worth the coverage. The F'ing lawyers are out of control in this country and people won't take responsibility for their own actions, so you need to protect yourself. Plus the cops can't give you grief either.

people are out of control, but the insurance companies are right there with them.

the insurace companies are standing in line with the cable companies and the government waiting for us to bend over :eek:

I like the idea behind insurance - but they are in business, and it is not profitable to pay your claim. It is only profitable to accept your premium.

protraxduner
11-26-2007, 12:12 PM
For those with insurance (specifically state farm). What/how much is covered. I was generally thinking of getting insurance for total loss(fire, stolen,etc). What do they use to determine value? My guess is that if they use 'blue book' value our wheelers are worth next to nothing and we all know you can get $5000 tied up in these in a blink of an eye. Does anyone know what/how much is covered for those that have heavily modified/customized/rare atc's?

Aka_am
11-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah if my atc is worth 300 bucks...why did thief insurance?

protraxduner
11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Exactly, I would hate to pay $XX every month only to find out when it is stolen they are going to give me $300 minus my $250 deductable and I end up with $50.

Rustytinhorn
11-26-2007, 07:47 PM
I was told by someone that you can insure it for whatever $$ amount you want (within reason), and the monthly charge would come off of there. I will find out for sure though, and let everyone know. Might not be till later this week though.

jenndnn3
11-26-2007, 08:59 PM
State farm does replacement value, you find a replacement....
That is how I insure mine. To protect yourself from this IE $300 vs the true cost, you keep your reciepts, plus take plenty of pictures and so on. It is the same for older vehicles as well....

We had an old nisson truck worth book 700 but to replace it was 1300.... They replaced it... MAKE sure to ask that question, I want replacement value insurence...