PDA

View Full Version : lost spark

bobpagett@fsmai
11-24-2007, 08:16 AM
hi,
im a new member who lives in the uk, ive just obtained a 1984/5 bigred 200es .
the trike started well when i first had it, but now i seem to have lost the spark /or spark is very very week ,,it will fire once in a while but only run for 20/30 secs then will not go again ??? is this a regular problem ,if so any cures , thank you any replies will be welcome ,,bob pagett

Mrs.Mosh
11-24-2007, 09:26 AM
hi,
im a new member who lives in the uk, ive just obtained a 1984/5 bigred 200es .
the trike started well when i first had it, but now i seem to have lost the spark /or spark is very very week ,,it will fire once in a while but only run for 20/30 secs then will not go again ??? is this a regular problem ,if so any cures , thank you any replies will be welcome ,,bob pagett
:welcome: to 3WW.

All trike technical/mechanical questions should be posted in the Trikesylvania Section here.
You will get more responses.

You had this posted in the site feedback forum.I moved it for you.

bobpagett@fsmai
11-24-2007, 12:51 PM
thanks very much, i will know next time ,,cheers.bob

james9r9r
11-24-2007, 02:33 PM
My atc 70 ran forever then it would not run for 2 years so it sat then when I joined this site I got back into 3 wheelers. So I rebuilt the carb then it tried to start it well it started but had no power and wouldn't run for more then 5-10 seconds.

Turns out all I had to do was gap my points cause they were almost all the way closed.

bobpagett@fsmai
11-24-2007, 05:28 PM
thanks james ,im glad you got yours going i wish mine was so easy ,,
but its a 200es and has a cdi unit ,so no points ..thanks again ,bob

james9r9r
11-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Srry I wasn't sure because I have never owned a BigRed but It took me so long for me to get my little 70 running though.

Now I have a seized motor on my Yamaha Tri-Moto and water in my oil.

jason 32
11-24-2007, 07:28 PM
use a test light to narrow your problem- check the stater for power-
then the black box- then the coil-
shouldn't be too hard-
test lights aren't expensive-
cdi's usually go out when they go- it might be a bad coil-?

ml1275
11-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Hi Bob

Where abouts in Norfolk are you? I guess you've checked the plug, plugcap & ht lead. Also check the wires where they come out of the pulse generator (on l/h of cylinder head) - I had one fail on my xr200 a few years back (basically the same engine).

Cheers
ML

RedRider_AK
11-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Are you sure it's spark? It might be a clogged fuel petcock not letting enough gas get into the float bowl to keep the machine running.

If you're sure it's spark, a dying COIL will sometimes work when it's cold, but when it heats up, it will lose spark.

I suggest you do indeed buy a test light and go through your electrical system, both when it's cold and then after you've run it and it has died on its own. Then you'll know what's going bad.

bobpagett@fsmai
11-26-2007, 05:43 PM
hi bud ,
yes its the spark alright.
waiting for a new loom to come from the good old usa ,plenty of parts over their ,
il fit the loom and go from there ..cheers bud :

bobpagett@fsmai
11-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi Bob

Where abouts in Norfolk are you? I guess you've checked the plug, plugcap & ht lead. Also check the wires where they come out of the pulse generator (on l/h of cylinder head) - I had one fail on my xr200 a few years back (basically the same engine).

Cheers
ML
hi, im near swaffham ,im waiting to fit a new loom and then il go from there ,,i will change coil/cdi and see what happens ,i will check your advice when i get going on the trike again ,hopefully in the next few weeks ,cheers bob

Dirtcrasher
11-26-2007, 06:49 PM
If you have a meter and a manual, I'd test everything first.

You don't have parts right at your doorstep like we do.

Most people here who have electrical problems just start replacing parts and then usually find it was an easy overlooked problem.

The majority of the time it is a bad ground (for machines with starters and batteries) and or a bad on/off or keyswitch that aren't making a good connection either.

Most of those parts can be taken apart and cleaned up, as long as your creative!!

Good luck bud....

bobpagett@fsmai
11-27-2007, 03:34 AM
thansks bud
the loom is pretty much us anyway ,,il fit another one and go from there ,hopefully i will find the cause . il start with the earths and work my way round ,,,all the best ,,bob