PDA

View Full Version : Is it this hard to remove the Tri Z rear axle hub??

Darius1502
05-22-2003, 02:54 AM
Question:

I am restoring my 1986 Tri Z. I took my rear axle and axle housing to a motorcycle shop to change out the bearings because the hub seemed to be stuck on the axle (very hard to remove). Now the guy says the only way to get it off the axle is to cut the axle and whack it out. I ordered another axle on eBay...but I am wondering if this seems reasonable.

Thanks in advance!!

asc180
05-22-2003, 07:39 AM
I have never had one that would not come out.Spray it with wd-40 for a day or two then try to beat it out. Just be careful of the thread on the hub. Double nut it and go to town. If you do damage the threads it is a 14mm-1.50 or 1.75 pitch. Snap on makes a die for it. I know from experience.

adam

Jeb
05-22-2003, 09:04 AM
If that's your Z in the pic, it's super clean!

Can we see more? :-D

Darius1502
05-22-2003, 12:41 PM
Yes thats the bike. I have been working on it for about 3 weeks now. When I bought it the thing was only in boxes...EVERYTHING!! I have never even started it. I trusted the owner and decided to buy it. I have everything together except the rear axle, etc. Every part that looked old has either been thrown out, replaced, or refinished.

I decided to use banshee hubs and gold rear wheels to increase the availabiliy of rear wheels and tires...especially whats available on ebay for sand dune riding. I will ONLY be riding this trike at Kermit Sand Dunes in Kermit Texas. My bikes must be clean.

Darius1502
05-22-2003, 12:50 PM
more...this one is before I started doing any work. The frame is in my living room. I just had to put my new graphics, fenders, and airbox cap on for a fit...

Darius1502
05-22-2003, 12:54 PM
I had the graphics specially cut at a premier graphics shop. They are much more vibrant than the stock ones. Also they can create any size or color combination I want.