PDA

View Full Version : carb help please driving me nuts

711jurasich
11-23-2007, 04:26 PM
here is the deal, i have a 85 tecate 3, i just got running new piston rings cly cly shave head shave new rickey stator coils, from day 1 it ran to rich, the carb is not stock and no 1 can tell me what it is off of it has stamped on it 5w and v20, the main jet size was a 320 so i put it back to stock size a 230, still to rich down now to a 210 and still to rich, smoke bad a 1/2 trrottle to full, plug is black fouls after 30 min of drive time, had the whole carb done floats set new neadleandseat , went down to a 30 pilot jet, plug is a b7es engine oil is good, dont know what to do should i keep going smaller in jet till the plug get tan in color ,just dont want to blow it up, but when i drive it it runs perfect except for the smoke and fouling plug issue please give me advice i am going nuckinfuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks 4 your time JEFF

rally4x4racer
11-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Jeff,
:welcome: to the boards!!

I looked through your post a few times and there is a lack of punctuation. It is hard to figure out what you are trying to say when you are using webonics. If you are looking for intelligent conversation, speak the right language.

Half throttle richness is from your needle jet. Try getting the carb as close to stock as possible and then make minor adjustments. My guess is that your needle needs to be lowered into the main cutting off a little fuel. If you have not read the sticky on jetting you should check it out. There are some links in the sticky that are very useful also.

How about some :pics: of this machine you speak of?

Jeff

711jurasich
11-23-2007, 04:50 PM
hi i have the neadle set as low as possible

rally4x4racer
11-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Can you verify that it is the stock needle? Lean out your pilot screw some more. Sounds like your pilot (air/fuel mix) is clogged. Is your air filter clean?

Something is not right.

Dirtcrasher
11-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Shaved head. Are you running race gas? That needle is all the way down or as lean as that part of the circuit gets, I'd keep dropping the main. Are you running the airbox lid? Pop it on and see if that leans it up a bit more.

OR, if your really concerned and confused, take that carb off and pick up a stock carb. Then I'd simply drill out the main jet until you get it right.

When I begin jetting on a modded motor I don't do wide open plug chops until I'm close. I don't want to blow up anything myself either and I can easily feel the leanness in the main jet when I'm in the higher revs. The motor just won't pull untill your close.

Jason Hall
11-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Could It be sucking trans oil In through the right side crank seal? That will cause major smoking and give you nasty running conditions especially at high rpm's.

cr480r
11-23-2007, 05:52 PM
hi i have the neadle set as low as possible

So the clip is in the top groove? Dropping main jet sizes isnt going to do anything for your half throttle richness... get the pilot and needle jet circuits dialed before messing with main jets... Mains only really come into play past 3/4 throttle... and fuel build-up in the crankcase can make the bike act rich even when the main is lean....

711jurasich
11-23-2007, 06:01 PM
neadle clip is on top groove. the trans oil is stable.should i keep jetting down till i get it right . is it common to jet way down from stock

cr480r
11-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Is the air intake blocked? I would not drop any more main jet sizes... in fact I would go back up to where you started... I would get all the other carb circuits dialed in first.... Once you get it running clean from an Idle to 3/4 throttle then worry about main jets.... Are you sure you dont have spark issues?

jason 32
11-23-2007, 08:30 PM
plug is black - from oil?- whats the mixture your using- 32:1-? try 40:1
if the plug is wet- its too much fuel-
are you burning crank oil in the cylinder as well as the premix oil-?
check the oil level - it might need a new oil side crank seal-

set the floats to the proper height- not lower ect...

fuel and oil go through the jets - not just fuel-(unless it is oil injected)- or a 4 stroke)
clean out the cylinder - some times when you flood them ect.. - there will be oil,and fuel at the bottom of the crank case setting in there- and it takes a while to burn it all out--(a few passes after starting)- then check the plug

if your too lean your not going to get enough fuel in the cyl- it will just keep fouling the plug
put it where it ran,then start from there-

start with good oil ,and the right ratio- i use klotz-

711jurasich
11-26-2007, 08:43 PM
thanks 4 all the help. found the problem with the carb,someone put a r-8 needle jet in,that is the richest one,that would give me rich cond,any help in picking a needle jet to put back in, the stock 1 is a Q-6, should i go to a Q-4 or Q-8 or just stay stock thanks 4 all the help JEFF

rally4x4racer
11-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Keep it stock and tune it all out. After you get it dialed in you will have a better idea