PDA

View Full Version : 200x oil pump chain

Scout79
11-22-2007, 09:43 PM
I have a 87 200x and noticed quite a bit of play in the oil pump chain. Is this normal?? Is the chain a common replacement??

Dirtcrasher
11-22-2007, 09:59 PM
There is no tensioner and they can be loose. I haven't seen a replacement chain available.

Why are you into that sidecase anyhow. Just sell it to me, LOL!!

Scout79
11-22-2007, 10:21 PM
opened it up to clean and check the filter... I can still get a chain from honda...
didnt know if i needed to replace it

Dirtcrasher
11-22-2007, 10:36 PM
The chain may or may not be available. Even though it's listed on websites, lots of parts are gonezo for most of the ATC's. The 86/87 stuff is nearly ALL discontinued - I placed an order for an 86 200X and they called me to tell me about 60% of what I wanted was gone which STINKS!

Howdy
11-22-2007, 10:44 PM
If your good, or know someone who is good, they can take a standard timing chain and shorten it to the proper length for the oil pump chain. I know this can be done, because I have done it before.
Howdy

Scout79
11-22-2007, 10:47 PM
should the chain be replaced??

Howdy
11-22-2007, 10:53 PM
should the chain be replaced??

There is no correct answer to this with the little info you have given. How much play exactly is there?
Does the chain skip while installed?
Ect, ect,
More information given = better chance of a correct anwer.
Howdy

Scout79
11-22-2007, 10:57 PM
i do not think it skips... but on inspection it is loose and creates play iand allows the sprocket and shaft to slide out a bit

Howdy
11-22-2007, 11:08 PM
i do not think it skips... but on inspection it is loose and creates play iand allows the sprocket and shaft to slide out a bit

There is a plate that goes in that side that holds the shaft into the oil pump. This is not an optional item either. I rebuilt a 86 200x that the guy had removed the plate and then ran it for a while. The shaft came out of the oil pump and thus starved the motor for oil. The cam was in VERY bad shape.

Back to the question: I still don't see enough info to say if the chain is wore enough. But as a general rule: If you replace it with a new chain now, then you will know that it's good. The down side is you might replace a part that is still good.
Howdy

Scout79
11-22-2007, 11:12 PM
i am waiting on a new plate... The orignal one is well grooved...

It seems like an easy job to swap the chain

tyman
11-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Dirtcrasher.. i'm not sure what you ordered, but my father put in a big order for 86 200x engine internal parts and he got all that he ordered.. i also ordered some parts for my brakes and drivetrain... we got everything we ordered... absolutely no problem.. from www.servicehonda.com....

scout79.. do yourself a favor and replace the chain now...

you REALLY don't want that shaft coming out and that gear flying up through your engine... first hand experience, it is not an easy fix... or a cheap one at that...

Scout79
11-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks tyman,
That is what i plan to do... have you replaced the chain on your 86??

Dirtcrasher
11-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Yes I did use Service Honda and it was about a month ago. I just wish there parts list was updated more often as far as discontinued items went. If it is gone, I do as Howdy suggested....

I wonder why that cover got scraped up?? The 5 86/87 200X motors I have all have loose chains but the covers don't show any wear? You better take a look and make sure it is all assembled correctly. Just don't forget that the crank has LH threads. 2 of my cranks are junk and I'm certain the previous owner tried taking them off the wrong way.

Maybe that motor was ran low on oil or something??

Scout79
11-23-2007, 06:27 PM
The plate has a wear mark from the oil pump shaft being in contact with it... I am assuming since the chain has play the shaft is able to worm itself out and contact the plate....

tyman
11-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Yes i have replaced the chain on my FATHERS 86... i plan to check mine this winter.. the shaft came out of his pump and went up between the clutch basket and the transmission shaft..... it made one heck of a mess...

Their was a slight wear mark in the cover of my fathers plate... more like a polished mark, not an indent..

Scout79
11-24-2007, 08:23 AM
how much play in the chain would you say is normal??

tyman
11-24-2007, 07:00 PM
sorry scout79 but i can't really give u an exact measurement of allowed play...
and the chain got mangled on my dads oilpump so i can't look at it and tell you...

its more of a judgement thing.... wiggle it back and forth... if it looks like it could jump off the sprocket if it wiggled, then its too much play... look at how much play is in the new chain compared to the old one....