PDA

View Full Version : I s there a way to bring back the color in faded plastic?

Threes company
11-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Is there a way to buff out faded plastic to bring back the original red? I have plastic fenders om my 185s project that are almost pink. Other than that there are no cracks or breaks........ any ideas??

deep purple
11-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Hey there.Try sanding with 1000 grit sand paper then apply silicone spray.:beer

84honda200s
11-22-2007, 08:17 PM
here ya be. i hope it helps ya a bit.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=24247&highlight=fender+restore

lokisbuddy
11-22-2007, 10:02 PM
i scraped a layer of the plastic off with a razor blade and it restored the yellow to my yamaha

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=65281 here are pics

pickleweasel_00
11-22-2007, 10:15 PM
try the sanding and polishing method first, and if all else fails the Krylon Fusion paint works really well. I've had good luck with it. The only drawbacks are it isn't as shiny (but waxing after it is cured helps) and it scuffs easier than just plain platic

TwoHundredEx
11-22-2007, 10:30 PM
try the sanding and polishing method first, and if all else fails the Krylon Fusion paint works really well. I've had good luck with it. The only drawbacks are it isn't as shiny (but waxing after it is cured helps) and it scuffs easier than just plain platic

I used a rattle can clear coat after the last coat of Krylon on my fenders. Worked pretty good, not super shiny, but definitely better than the dull finish it had before.

Threes company
11-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks everyone :beer ........... I might even go the camo route here..... anything but this pink plastic. The bodywork on this 185 is so faded, it looks like its been sitting out in the sun for the past few decades. Hmmmmmmm...... now what kind of camo scheme should I go with????????? :wondering

84honda200s
11-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks everyone :beer ........... I might even go the camo route here..... anything but this pink plastic. The bodywork on this 185 is so faded, it looks like its been sitting out in the sun for the past few decades. Hmmmmmmm...... now what kind of camo scheme should I go with????????? :wondering

i like desert camo :D :D