PDA

View Full Version : Big problem

Drifterdude
11-21-2007, 05:05 PM
I know its been a while since ive posted if anyone remeberes me.

Well I was riding a new trail about 10 miles from the house. I was on a nice loooong trail out in the woods and was in about 4th or 5th I dont remember and I had a blow out. My freaking 6ply carlise had a massive tire failure and blew out whole section of tread on the inside tire wall. It was not under inflated or over inflated. It was .5 from max PSI. It was not a rocky trail or anything just a long grassy wooded trail. So I had to limp it back home without ruining my rim and my arms are dead from fighting the pull. How does a 6ply just blow a hole out like that. My cams dead or id get some pics.

longbedGTs
11-21-2007, 06:14 PM
I know its been a while since ive posted if anyone remeberes me.

Must....resist...the...urge...to..comment.. :crazy:
Bro, youve only been here two months. :wondering Get over yourself.

Now, to your question. Maybe the tire hit a sharp point increasing the pressure inside when the tire compressed. IDK.

rally4x4racer
11-21-2007, 07:11 PM
you were riding at max psi - or close to it? what psi?

sounds like you hit something sharp

300rman
11-21-2007, 08:02 PM
yeah.....sounds like it might have been damaged or something...

Dirtcrasher
11-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah man, I remember you!! You were like that Drifter dude!!.... that guy gets everywhere man!! But he need some better sneakers MAN!! yo yo yo.......

J/K Brah.... Did you buy em new? maybe they had some time on them or dry rotting? I'm never a fan of cheap tires, I flatten tires REAL quick!

Drifterdude
11-22-2007, 12:57 AM
I never said I was a old member or that i was popular buh. I came in making quite a few post then just left. I was just seeing if anyone remembered me from that short time most people wouldnt I was just seeing who pays attention.

As far as the tires max PSI was 5 I was riding at 4-4.5 PSI and it was on a flat fresh made dirt trail. Nothing would be sharp out there it was in woods that have nothing around them and its deep off in the woods. Loggers are using it for clearing cause it can be seen from the road and when cleared leaves no noticable bald spot on the land from the road. NO glass or anything.

It was a new tire. I just dont see how a 6 ply tire blows along with all the nylon belts inside with it. Im possibly getting another tommarow from a guy who has alot of ATV tires for sale. Im going to inspect them inside and out and get one. I think he wants like 15 each and itll be that much to mount and im good to go. Beats 70 or so for a new one.

They are kinda cheap tires compared to what everyone on here seems to like. They are carlise trail pros. Everyone here say they suck but ive made my way through plenty of rivers and rock trails and clay banks with them and places that I didnt think a 3 wheeler could get so im going to keep using them. But I am going to buy a spare set of tires when I finish work on my car.

300rman
11-22-2007, 01:35 AM
figures there trail pro's....thqat wheeler will go more places without 700 extra pounds of tire in it.....

but yeah....its odd a 6 foot thick tire would blow out........... get some regular tires and fill them with cement. they will be lighter and last longer :lol:

RedRider_AK
11-22-2007, 02:38 AM
OMG DID YOU JUST SAY TRAIL PROS? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have a running joke here in the site that Trail Pros have all sorts of arcane powers, ranging from making your trike feel like it's running on nitrous all the time, to turning you into a redneck overnight, but I haven't actually heard of a Trail Pro being a terrible tire until now.

Sorry this won't be much help, but I suggest you simply ditch the Trail Pros (for life), and then replace them with some NON CRAPPY tires.

longbedGTs
11-22-2007, 04:29 AM
Wait, a Trail Pro? Are you sure it didnt blow out from a dry rot crack? :lol:

rally4x4racer
11-22-2007, 06:51 AM
Now that you mention they were trail pros I am not surprised at all. At first it was sounding like you had a blow out. Now I know you had a "break out". Those tires are hard, and you breaking one proves how hard they are.

Drifterdude
11-22-2007, 09:39 AM
if everyone says its the tire it must be. well then when i get some money ill change. what do you suggest for a trail tire for climbing and dirt with some mud in between.

Huffa
11-22-2007, 09:57 AM
What kind of machine do you have ?

I'd take that tire back to store or if you ordered it send them a pic, it sounds like it was defective, like the firestones on SUV's years ago.

For the kind of riding you do these would be great. You should be able to find them for around 45-50 a piece.

http://www.maxxis.com/products/atv/product_detail.asp?id=49

SYKO
11-22-2007, 11:00 AM
I just cant beleive a trail pro died!! i have super old trail pros on my lifted golf cart (longbed can attest to this) that are just destroyed!! and yet hold air fine and get all kinds of abuse!!! hey drifter are you any way near south ga??

Drifterdude
11-22-2007, 06:06 PM
No im in Andalusia alabama.

As far as defective it may be but its long past warrenty. Few years old. I do like the trail pros though. To me they are agressive enough to get through what you want if you know how to ride.

Im using a 225DX. So its not like im going to fast or anything.

Those other tires look like crap but sound good. The side tread does me good on those if I get them. they remind me of lawn mower tires with treads cut out.

RedRider_AK
11-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Those All-Traks are a really good small-bore machine tire, they have the hook up. The tread is actually very deep (probably about 3/4 of an inch?) and it works really well. I rode a Recon 250 quad with those tires on the back, and it would throw a pretty decent roost and power out of corners pretty well.

Huffa
11-22-2007, 07:17 PM
No im in Andalusia alabama.

As far as defective it may be but its long past warrenty. Few years old. I do like the trail pros though. To me they are agressive enough to get through what you want if you know how to ride.

Im using a 225DX. So its not like im going to fast or anything.

Those other tires look like crap but sound good. The side tread does me good on those if I get them. they remind me of lawn mower tires with treads cut out.

Well I happen to love the way they look, the trail pro's are the ugliest, strangest tread pattern I have ever saw. Guess this is a perfect example of beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D

Read this and enjoy :D

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=68733&highlight=trail+pro%27s

Drifterdude
11-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Yea they are ugly tires those trail pros but they are nice in my opinion. I have never had a bad experiance with them till now and I am guessing it was a simple defect in a tire that doesnt happen often.

Those all tracks or watever realy sound nice but they are 2 ply. Where I ride most of the time they would come out of a trail looking like they just came from the iraq war full of bullet holes. Most of my riding is done in rock pits and loging fields that still have all the trees and branches to bash over that and I normaly ride now and up 60-70 degree clay banks with large rock at the bottom.

I realy do abuse tires they dont look abused when new but they get put through more use than most ATV riders ever put on their tires. Now people on this forum I know abuse tires and alot ride track.

Keep in mind for my use I need a heavy duty tire. I dont care if they are a hard tire they got be able to be run at low pressure 3-4.5 PSI and agressive enough to climb a 2 foot verticle clay stone wall. If you know what its like to climb a clay wall then you know what im takling about. All they do is desintegrate under your tires into dust and you just dig into them without moving over. Its hard to grip and get over. Trail pros seemed to do it for me with just little slip when first getting bite on a climb.

Still I cant get over the beautifuly ugly remark lol. :lol:

Ill get pics of the tire tommarow up and some of the ridding area when ever I get back on trails after a new tire.

It blew on the back side of a tread knob on the sidewall. Still makes no sense cause you grip and pull from the front of the tread not the rear.

The other trail pro on the left rear shows no signs of giving out or of physical abuse to the tread or structure of the tire.

Huffa
11-23-2007, 06:23 AM
Those all tracks or watever realy sound nice but they are 2 ply. Where I ride most of the time they would come out of a trail looking like they just came from the iraq war full of bullet holes. Most of my riding is done in rock pits and loging fields that still have all the trees and branches to bash over that and I normaly ride now and up 60-70 degree clay banks with large rock at the bottom.

I'm on my third pair of All Traks, having them on various machines I have learned through the years not to judge a tire on plies and learned that from these tires.

You are waaaaaay off base and oh so wrong DD in judging how bullet proof they are. They wear like iron and are reversible for different conditions and the side tread helps protect the rims. They are on the heavy side though and hard to slide on a low powered machine but for wear, reliability, forward traction and price, they get an A+ from me.

Quote from tire add..... "They are designed for use in the most challenging conditions and have been used by Mike Penland in the GNCC race series as well as the Baja 1000."

I have them on my SX here and at one time, I admit, I had your 6 ply only thoughts too, not any more though. The tire even seems like a 6 ply to me, not sure how they do it because it's not a real sidewall flexin tire and usually they are when they are only 2 plies.

Drifterdude
11-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Well Im just afraid of spending money on some tires and then they blow on me again. If it comes down to it ill get those cause I do like the tread pattern and the side tread. I guess ill have to give them a shot I dunno. Let me find some cash first though ill figure something out im getting pics today as soon as cloud cover goes and I got proper lighting.

chris200x
11-23-2007, 01:15 PM
I like the maxxis tires as well. Another option (cheaper yet!) would be a set of wooly boggers. You can probably find them for around $30 a piece. I've run them for years through some of the toughest terrian imaginable and never had any issues. In fact... the rim usually gives out before the tire! :D

IMO they'd be perfect for the back of your 225. :beer That thread about the TP's is something else! :rolleyes: :D

RedRider_AK
11-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah, Drifter, I would certainly look into those All-Traks. They are nice.

Drifterdude
11-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Well more good opinions of the Maxxis tires. Ill look into them then. On those wooly boggers anyone have a link? they sound intresting. I wana see something last longer than my rims. they dont seem to get beat at all to me. I want them to die cause I want a reason to spend money on some prettier ones lol.

Tri-Z Pilot
11-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Anyone remember Buckshot Mudders? I had them on my first z and loved them, I think they were six ply. Dont even know if they still make them.

chris200x
11-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Well more good opinions of the Maxxis tires. Ill look into them then. On those wooly boggers anyone have a link? they sound intresting. I wana see something last longer than my rims. they dont seem to get beat at all to me. I want them to die cause I want a reason to spend money on some prettier ones lol.

Any atv tire seller will have boggers... click the link in my signature. There's a 250sx there with WB on. Great tire!!!

Huffa
11-23-2007, 08:30 PM
I like the maxxis tires as well. Another option (cheaper yet!) would be a set of wooly boggers. You can probably find them for around $30 a piece. I've run them for years through some of the toughest terrian imaginable and never had any issues. In fact... the rim usually gives out before the tire! :D

IMO they'd be perfect for the back of your 225. :beer That thread about the TP's is something else! :rolleyes: :D

I think the woolies are good tires too and frankly they may suit the 225 better because I think they are quite a bit lighter and will break loose a little easier, just depends what your after, if you care about sliding at all or are in to absolute traction.

The Maxxis may be too much tire in that respect (sliding) but it does self clean really well, is durable (not that the woolies aren't) and you can reverse them too. They are stiff enough that if you got a flat, you could still finish out the day on them I bet. good rim protection too with those beefy side knobs.

There are tons of good tires out there besides those too .

Here, go :crazy: nuts checking them all out (great pic's of them too)......... http://www.tiresunlimited.com/atv_tires.htm

Drifterdude
11-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Ok here are the pics. The cracks around the blow out happend after I rode home on a flat. It chewed up the tire bad riding on the ashpalt with a blown tire like that.

Well im looking for money to replace tires so ill let yall know what happens when i get them and I still wonder what happend to this thing.

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/drifterdude/?action=view&current=DSCF1533.jpg

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/drifterdude/?action=view&current=DSCF1534.jpg

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/drifterdude/?action=view&current=DSCF1535.jpg

Howdy
11-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Those were not "New" tires. You can clearly see the weather cracking. That is 100% dry rot problem.
Howdy

Huffa
11-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Those were not "New" tires. You can clearly see the weather cracking. That is 100% dry rot problem.
Howdy

Yea dude, that's not unuasual at all with the shape those tires are in, you failed to mention that to us, no wonder they kabluied!

Drifterdude
11-25-2007, 12:57 AM
I never had any cracks till after the flat. I can get pics of the other tire it is in the same shape as this one was before the blow out. I had to ride it a looooong way on the flat on trail and on paved road. It ate the tire up and cracked it to heck and back like that. The flat running also ripped a few treads off almost. They are not new they are about a year old.

SYKO
11-25-2007, 01:05 AM
[QUOTE=Drifterdude;557945]Ok here are the pics. The cracks around the blow out happend after I rode home on a flat. It chewed up the tire bad riding on the ashpalt with a blown tire like that.

Well im looking for money to replace tires so ill let yall know what happens when i get them and I still wonder what happend to this thing.

QUOTE]

hell I got a set of those damn tires!! just pay the shippin!! I dont want them!! something like 30 bucks or so should work!

Howdy
11-25-2007, 01:47 AM
I never had any cracks till after the flat. I can get pics of the other tire it is in the same shape as this one was before the blow out. I had to ride it a looooong way on the flat on trail and on paved road. It ate the tire up and cracked it to heck and back like that. The flat running also ripped a few treads off almost. They are not new they are about a year old.

Those do not look like fresh cracks at all. The rubber on the tire even looks pretty old. You may not have noticed them before, but I'm 100% sure they were there.
Howdy

Rustytinhorn
11-25-2007, 03:42 AM
Its kinda a harsh welcome to say this, but the other guys are right. That is definitally dry rot or weather cracked. The rubber on a new tire should not crack and seperate like that, even when ran flat for a short time. New tires get folded in half for compact shipping without any issues.
I'd be interested to see a pic of the other tire inflated, then deflate it and take a pic of the fold under the tire and see if any cracks are noticable or if the rubber looks malleable still.

Drifterdude
11-25-2007, 11:28 AM
If the other is dry rotted as well and can be seen when deflated then thats the shops fault for selling me old tires then. To late to take them back but ill give them notice. Cause inflated they both looked fine.

Does that mean they are freshly dry rotting or just starting? Yall know more of tires than I do im just getting into this stuff still. It jsut ticks me off to just get the dang trike running proper again to have this happen. Oh and as luck has it for me yesterday my car tire picked up a nail and now has to be repaired. I have no luck with tires.

Oh those tires whoever it was selling them find out exact shipping and we might have a deal Just give me some pics of the tires condition I dont want this problem again.

Dirtcrasher
11-25-2007, 02:17 PM
It sure looks like dry rot to me...

How long did you actually run it on a flat home? an hour?

Dammit!
11-25-2007, 03:15 PM
The problem with trail pros and most 6 ply tires is that they're too damn stiff. You're better off with a softer tire. They seal around the bead better, give you a better ride, better traction, just better all around. I really like the stock Dunlop tires that come on the yfz450. Most of the new sport quads come with tires that work really well on trikes. They get way better forward traction than you'd think and you can usually find practically new ones on CL pretty cheap.

Edit: I responded to this thread not realizing it was 3 pages long.... :D

Drifterdude
11-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Well i keep tire slime in my tires to keep a bead seal along with puncture seals. That and I dont mind a stiff ride. Most of the time I am going to fast to feel the bumps I just kinda float over everythign. Only time its to stiff is at lower speeds in washboard situations on dirt road realy. I am still intrested in those for sale for just shipping. Ill take them off your hands probably if you get back to me.

rally4x4racer
11-26-2007, 05:02 AM
it wAS syko.... hell I would have sent you some a few months ago but I sent them to the dump