PDA

View Full Version : question for everyone who owns more than a couple 3 wheelers.........

Threes company
11-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Okay, going by some of the pics :pics: I see everyone putting up it seems as though there are many here who own more than 1 or 2 trikes. Heck, some of you guys might as well open up a rental agency because you have a FLEET of 3 wheelers! Ok, heres the question.... how does everyone keep track of all of their individual machines?? Like oil changes, what needs to be fixed, what needs to be found or ordered or bought....., etc. Me? i have an 85 KLT250, 84 125M, 84 Big Red, 86 200x and a project 185..... for each i keep a notebook with dates and notes on whats been done and needs to be done, etc. So what about the rest of you?? .......... later guys.

Mrs.Mosh
11-20-2007, 06:58 PM
We use post-it notes on each seat.I am not kiddin either.:lol:
Mosh shakes down every machine before and after a ride.When something gets a little wobble to it,it stays home and a note gets attached.

longbedGTs
11-20-2007, 07:15 PM
This doesnt pertain to trikes, but relates to your question. At one time, I had a collection of 7 Ford Rangers. It was very tough to spread money among the 7 but to keep up with each truck, I just had a maintainence sheet for each truck.
With my 4 trikes, I just remember what each one needs. If I forget, I will find out when Im riding! (probally out in th emiddle of no where :rolleyes:)

250rfan
11-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Its simple - i dont ride mine, so i know they're perfect. :D

However i do change the air in the tyres every 6 months wether they need it or not - :lol:

rally4x4racer
11-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I like the post it note idea.

Sometimes I worry that I will take off on a trike that has a part off for repair etc. so I put the bolts or whatever on the seat. The other day I had the oil out of the airfooler to let the new seal dry and I put the quart of oil on the seat before I left the shop.

blue27
11-20-2007, 07:40 PM
dry erase board on the wall , I keep track of oil changes and what needs to be done or ordered

ColeTrickle
11-20-2007, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=250rfan;556284]Its simple - i dont ride mine, so i know they're perfect. :D

:wondering :wondering :wondering

ATC-Eric
11-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Out of my 7 trikes, only 4 of them are currently running. Its not to hard to remember. I check the oil and jetting on the 2 strokes every time I ride, if the oil looks bad, I change it on the spot. Otherwise, with only 4 runners to keep track of, its not to hard to remember the specifics for each one in terms of broken parts, or parts in need of attention.

All in all, most of my bikes get oil changes every few rides. I cant really have a chart for that, because theres no regular schedule that they go out in.

So I go like the Moshes do. Everytime they go out, they get gone over.

350xrider911
11-20-2007, 08:24 PM
do one at a time i put a big sighn on it saying do not ride me i need oil air filter changed ect.

Dammit!
11-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Well I trimmed my stable down from 9 machines to five but out of those five, only one is a rider right now so it's pretty easy. :lol:

350x is almost done though. Just ordered a few parts. After that I'll pick which one is next out of two 70's and a 200x.

jenndnn3
11-20-2007, 08:37 PM
1 time a year I have a very big bill....

brapp
11-20-2007, 09:32 PM
well every 6 monts i change oil and clean filters except for the few i ride alot they get serviced every3 months. and the coupe i use every day i just keep an eye on fluids and ti seems liek i am always fixign soemthing

84honda200s
11-20-2007, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=250rfan;556284]Its simple - i dont ride mine, so i know they're perfect. :D

:wondering :wondering :wondering

means he has a bunch of garage queens.

Threes company
11-20-2007, 09:51 PM
I guess the reason I asked this question is my addiction isn't limited to 3 wheelers...... i also have 3 Jeeps: a 78, 76 and a 66 CJ5........ yamaha v-max, kawasaki kdx...... 93 DODGE Ramcharger, 91 ram pick up, 04 F150..... a couple of Arctic Cat snowmobiles........ and I'm sure there are others........ I tell my wife, "some guys cheat, some guys gamble, some guys drink or do drugs...... my addiction is even worse........ TOYS!"

atctim
11-20-2007, 09:55 PM
I build an excel spreadsheet - about 4 times a year - Shelly and I go out to the garage and go over each machine - what it needs - what needs fixed - what needs ordered - and so on and so forth. Then we put it in the computer, print it out and set it on the work bench. Then at our leisure, we do all the odds and ends till they are done. Once done - it is time to start another list. Oil changes in the riders is about every 4 to 6 rides - the non riders - about every other year or so. It gets confusing if you don't keep up.

Having alot of trikes - you also find you only ride about 25% of them alot - the others only get pulled out of the garage for a leisure putt putt around the yard or if lucky or handsome enough - they get selected to go on a summer vacation to Laurel, Indiana.

Dammit!
11-20-2007, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE=ColeTrickle;556305]

means he has a bunch of garage queens.

Have you seen his machines? Museum quality restorations would be a better description.

250rfan
11-20-2007, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE=84honda200s;556366]

Have you seen his machines? Museum quality restorations would be a better description.

Thank you SIR!,

In my defence, i only have 2 out of 4 TRIKES running at the moment, which unfortunately are not really riders, but i am building 2 riders right now.

Russell 350X
11-21-2007, 12:16 AM
3 out of the 4 I have run. Basically I service them as its needed. Change the oil when it starts to get dark, replace bearings when then get a little loose, etc. I try to catch everything before it happens, but we all know how that goes.

scooterroo
11-21-2007, 09:07 AM
got a three ring binder with dividers in it, one for each bike. in each section for each bike, i have the owners and service manuals, parts schematics and numbers, and a list of parts that i either want or need, and even a pocket folder so i can store all reciepts for whatever parts i buy so i can total it all up if i want too. in my 85 t3 file i also have the jimmy white manual as well. and each file has a list of maintenance needs and dates when they were done. very detailed and organized, the way i like things. :beers

cr480r
11-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Its simple - i dont ride mine, so i know they're perfect. :D

However i do change the air in the tyres every 6 months wether they need it or not - :lol:

Geez that sounds really fun... :lol:

Basically I service them as its needed...

same with me... kinda... I run mostly 2-strokes so the oil is fresh with every tank of fuel:naughty:... I change transmission oil after every actual "ride"... Chain tension and lube also every ride... And I do repairs/upgrades on all the rest whenever my spare time and budget catch up to the particular machine... I hate to say it, but for me riding has priority over maintenence... I dont miss a ride unless its really "broken"...

ovhonda1
11-21-2007, 09:29 AM
I rotate the trikes in the garage according to thier condition. If a trike has any issue, it gets put in line in the back of the garage until it is fixed. I only ride the ones in the front. They are also stacked according to the severity of the issues. Right now, the 250R is on the stand with no front/back end-new bearings all the way around. next in line we have the tri-z with impeller issues, then the Tecate with carb issues, then the 350x, 85triz and the fat cat-all of which are ready to go. Works for me anyway.

keister
11-21-2007, 12:48 PM
I write oil changes and other misc maintenance / replacements on the wall in my garage. That way, there is no possible way for me to lose the records. I also try to sync it up when possible and do several at once. Last weekend I changed oil in 2 toyotas, 3 atcs, and a lawn tractor.

Hair Bear Bunch
11-21-2007, 03:37 PM
I use a windows based program called 'Fleet Manager' by a company called 'Vizual Buisness Tools' http://www.vizual.co.uk/
It holds the records for all my vehicles/boats/machinery. Everything from make and model, to chassis and key no.s, maintainance records and costs, colours, fuel type, radio and key codes, finance and insurance details, even pictures. Separate databases can be used for machines you've disposed of, still keeping the details pics and prices. It can also be set up to remind you when insurances and tests become due.
It can also hold driver/operator records, contact details, licence details, individuals accident history and mugshots!
So you could instantly see if someone wants to use a machine, and it cost x or y amount to put right last time, or if your happy to let them use it.
I can't remember what it cost, I know it wasn't cheap, but it's been very useful.
Rob.

Dirtcrasher
11-21-2007, 05:59 PM
I really only ride the 350X so it's easy to keep track of...

I like the three ring binder with different files in it though....

sandpuppi101
11-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Well I actually have a pretty good memory on getting the part's and what not, I need.I also have a clipboard I carry along everwhere with me that I am alway's writing note's on and putting inside for daily reference also.But for the most part,I only ride 2-3 of them and have 2-3 going at a time,then on to the next one's,but it can get a bit teadious...

trimoto.125
11-21-2007, 07:58 PM
I got 31 sleds, 3 trikes, 1 atv, 2 dirtbikes and 1 minibike and i don;t have a problem remembering maintenace stuff, cuz i write most of the stuff i have 2 fix down on a bristol board lmao.

Jim mac
11-22-2007, 12:57 AM
I usually drag them home, get them running, then sell them before they even need a spark plug. Jim

Dirtcrasher
11-22-2007, 12:39 PM
I also meant to post that if you want to keep track of what you need to do before rippin it up again, a dry erase board works great. I have one hangin near the bikes that reminds me to tighten the chain, change the oil or clean the air filter.

You do the work and erase it when your done....