PDA

View Full Version : New Guy with a US90

Vehiclemaniac
11-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Hello all,

I hope I'm posting in the right place for starters if not I apolagize.

Second I'm new to atv's but i picked up a couple of old us90's yesterday with the intent to drive one and maybe restore and sell the other.

Neither one runs right now but I think I can get one running soon and the other eventually.

My biggest question is what to do about tires for these things. I know they don't make original balloon tires anymore. Has anyone bought wheel adapters for these things and ran normal wheels. I've seen a couple adapters but I don't know which is best and why.

Also one of the tanks leak and I plan to weld it back up. and the other is rusty inside, does anybody know a good way to clean them out?

I'm at work so I don't have the pics of them but heres the link to the ebay auction that I won.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=290180464952

Have a good one,

Jed

RedRider_AK
11-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Hey there Tennessee Jed (or Wisconsin Jed, I suppose)!

The place to post about trike questions is Trikesylvania, but that's ok for now. You'll learn more as you visit here more often.

The tires I don't know about, not a big US90 guy. The tanks you can recoat inside with either Kreem or RedKote, which are plastic pour-in tank liners (think truck bed liners) that eliminate rust problems. I would also clean out the carburetor and the petcock screen (under the 2 screws in the petcock).

Welcome to 3ww and we hope your stay is a long, productive, and FUN one! :welcome:

Thorpe
11-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Hey Red-- The is also a really good tank coat I have used before made by POR-15... Just a fyi

james9r9r
11-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Yes for cleaning the rust in the gas tank just goto a local paint shop and pickup some gas tank sealer and marine clean to eat out the rust. Works really good.

Or you can buy another gas tank sealer called Red-Kote. Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RED-KOTE-GAS-FUEL-TANK-LINER-SEALER-REDKOTE-QUART_W0QQitemZ270188842071QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6755 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Once you clean the gas tank rust out use Red-Kote to seal the inside of the gas tank and prevent future rust from forming.

Thanks, James

james9r9r
11-19-2007, 09:34 PM
I used US Standard Por-15 gas tank sealer. Worked great.

mike from long island
11-19-2007, 09:34 PM
You can also get wheel adapter from here plus many other parts..

http://www.vintagemotorsports.net/

blue27
11-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Welcome I had a tank coated with redkote by a local radiator shop. You can look for a tank also on here or ebay. Post up some pics.

Vehiclemaniac
11-19-2007, 09:56 PM
thanks everybody,

Not quite sure what I want to do with the gas tank but I'll figure it out.

Is it sacriledge to just make one of these things work. I heard Us90's are rare. Maybe put a 125cc in it or something like that, I just wanna get one rideable at the moment anyway.

broke the recoil cord already trying to start one. bought a new one on ebay already though too.

jed

jason85atc250r
11-20-2007, 12:10 AM
i have 2 off the us 90 also. a red one and a yellow one both 1970's

the tires were so wasted i put the complete front wheel assembly and rear axle assembly from a 1980 atc 110 on the one and a 1976 atc 90 on the yellow one. All this stuff just bloted rite on no modifying.

you then dont have to mess with adaptors and get rid of the old rear axle assembly with all the spacers and stuff. you also get 8" wheels and tires which you can find reall easy

Rex Karz
11-20-2007, 12:55 AM
It is not sacrelige to get a us90 in running shape at all. It should be really easy to find an axle and hubs from a 110. That is a good idea. I have one out in the garage if Ya can't find one. You might be able to sell your tires to a collector. I've seen them go for stupid high prices from time to time. They'e not the best for real riding, especially if you pop one.

jason85atc250r
11-20-2007, 01:41 AM
i did the swap to newer stuff for ease off getting tires and stuff + the cool look of a old us 90 chassis.

my red us 90 has a orange fork and front fender assembly somebody had a mishap back in the day.:D

Vehiclemaniac
11-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Atc 110 eh? I'll have to start looking around. The adapters will cost 60 bucks alone so maybe getting a scrap 110 is a good idea.

RedRider_AK
11-21-2007, 03:19 AM
There's a nice motor company nowadays that's called "Lifan". I just ordered a 125cc manual clutch 4-speed from them to stick in my SDG pit bike, I think you might want to look into that as a way of getting the US90 running. Just swap motors and save the US90 motor for when you sell it all-original. The 125 engine I ordered was 299, the smaller ones are even cheaper, and you can get them in ELECTRIC START as well.