PDA

View Full Version : strange 200s problem.

threewheelin-feelin
11-18-2007, 03:48 AM
well i was riding one of my 200s's last night and everything was fine...i went to down shift and all of a sudden the shifter felt like it had no resistance and came way up...so i tryed up shifting and i had to move it way down to shift...i messed with it for about 30 seconds now it wont shift at all...and the shifter will move about and down about 7 inches...anyone have any ideas what this could be? im a motor guy i have very little knowlege of trannys so im kinda screwed lol

Huffa
11-18-2007, 06:40 AM
It seems like it is not really a trans problem but more like the shifter splines, shaft splines or both are worn and it is just slipping on the shaft or the pinch bolt is just loose.

If they are worn then your next ? would be of course be how to replace the shaft.

Yamada
11-18-2007, 09:38 AM
If the splines are good, remove the engine side cover and look what going on in there. It is easy to remove and after a couple of minute at moving the shifter you should be able to understand the gear change mechanism. I repaired a bayou 220 that the plate welded on the shift shaft broke. So the shifter was moving like you described. Good luck

jason 32
11-18-2007, 06:59 PM
im bettn on the shifter stripped- i had top replace mine- nodda bigge

Dirtcrasher
11-18-2007, 11:22 PM
You've got over 1500 posts so I doubt you missed stripped splines. I've seen lots of shift shaft problems within the motor (not the center case) on the side cases.

But, if it moved that far it sure seems like the splines are shot. I don't like doing it, but I have mig welded it on there when I lost some splines before. Unless you need to split the case, it won't bother you much.

84honda200s
11-18-2007, 11:36 PM
yep sounds like the shift drums or the the shift pins on the shifting linkage messed yup or broke. pull the motor and crack the case open. if you need any tranny parts i have a spare tranny. ill rip parts out and hook ya up cheap.

could be splines too. (as said above) if it is the splines find a new/good one and put it in. i had a welded on shifter from the old owner of my motor and it was a pain when i needed to crack the cases open.

threewheelin-feelin
11-20-2007, 12:25 AM
guys it was the shifter...some one moddified it and it made it very hard to see...but the damn bolt broke to tighten so now im gonna have to cut it off lol...i hate stupid problems like this that make you scratch you head lol