PDA

View Full Version : SX fender restore .

Huffa
11-17-2007, 08:57 PM
I bought this 250SX rear fender on ebay and am going to resell it when I'm done.

Just thought I'd show how nasty this thing was (well 1/2 still is) and the amount of weathered sun blasted plastic I had to scrape off with razor blade and then sand to get it to look respectable again.

I figure I'll get (I hope) a good buck for it because nice SX rear fenders are extremly rare.

badasskfx
11-17-2007, 09:01 PM
wow looking good how many hours do you have into that?

ProCarbine2k1
11-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Lookin' good Gary!

Huffa
11-17-2007, 09:09 PM
wow looking good how many hours do you have into that?

I'd say about 3 hours. The tool box is in great shape too but lid is same way.

That pile there is over a foot long, sort of hard to tell in pic.

Huffa
11-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Lookin' good Gary!

Thanks buddy.

I'm really anxious to put it back on ebay but can't decide if I should put that on my SX which will make it nicer to sell or let the stiched one on (it's still solid, just one corner stiched) and sell this one seperate, just don't know which way to go :wondering

chris200x
11-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Ebay it. Everyone and their mothers are looking for OEMs in nice shape. I'd even go a step further and get the decals for it. if you can find cheap ones.

Lookin good!

jasonb01
11-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Man, you've got more patience than me! Especially to resell. I would have to make a $400 profit to do all of that. Looks real good.

Huffa
11-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Well if you could still buy them they are over 300 new if you add all the parts up, so you guys think I could get 200 for it possibly ? maybe more :naughty: , :( less?

Huffa
11-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Man, you've got more patience than me! Especially to resell. I would have to make a $400 profit to do all of that. Looks real good.

Well it really isn't hard work at all and if I could get 150-200, that's fine by me.

I can't recall EVER seeing a nice SX rear fender on ebay, so maybe it will surprize me and I'll get enough to buy another trike! :D

You can get brand new maiers yet but they don't have the tool box and certainly are not as nice.

You really think decals will make that much difference Chris, I mean they can just buy them themselves and slap them on ?

chris200x
11-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Well it really isn't hard work at all and if I could get 150-200, that's fine by me.

I can't recall EVER seeing a nice SX rear fender on ebay, so maybe it will surprize me and I'll get enough to buy another trike! :D

Last set I seen in nice shape went for $160 or so... depends on who wants them. shipping charges is what hurts the final price. mucho dinero to ship rear fenders...

never know about the decals... wouldn't hurt (if you get them for a few bucks) and people like things that are easy. if they already have decals... that's one less thing a potential buyer has to worry about.

When you list them (if you do) be sure to take good closeup pics.. are there alot of deep scratches? also gotta remeber that it seems ebay is a buyers market lately.. must be with the upcoming holidays and gas prices. folks are just sitting on their money.

Huffa
11-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Last set I seen in nice shape went for $160 or so... depends on who wants them. shipping charges is what hurts the final price. mucho dinero to ship rear fenders...

No, they are not that much to ship, I shipped one already quite a ways and it was only 22 bucks or so BUT YES, I have seen some ask 30, 40 even 50 bucks for shipping.

Come to think of it, I have another set yet, that was on the 250 I gave you, dang, I forgot all about that. I think just one corner is rivited a few inches and thats it, have to go check that out.

BTW ........a couple year ago there was a guy that posted yellow yamaha fenders that he did, spent 10 hours on them and did a excellent job, they looked like brand new if I remember correct, I did a search but can't find it, can't recall which model either, maybe a 200 ?

Huffa
11-17-2007, 09:46 PM

never know about the decals... wouldn't hurt (if you get them for a few bucks) and people like things that are easy. if they already have decals... that's one less thing a potential buyer has to worry about.

When you list them (if you do) be sure to take good closeup pics.. are there alot of deep scratches? also gotta remeber that it seems ebay is a buyers market lately.. must be with the upcoming holidays and gas prices. folks are just sitting on their money.

Nope, will have no deep scratches, the fender certainly isn't a a perfect 10 but will look darn nice when done. There are a few minor surface cracks but not all the way through.

I think the other side will be easier to do, it's not quite as bad and the mold on that side (side of fender) will let me razor blade the crap off easier.

For sure on the close ups, I always do that.

I could call it a OEM custom one now because it will be a light weight one with all the shavings I took off :lol:

One thing that blows is once those mud flap screws rust, forget trying to get them out, just FORGET IT! If you try to drill them out, the heat will melt the plastic, been there/ done that a few years ago.

I was darn lucky to get the three bolts out for tool box, I was praying that they turn and of course the last one was the toughest (aren't they always?) but I did get it out.

ceaserthethird
11-18-2007, 05:21 AM
post a link to the Auction so we can watch $ $ $

Huffa
11-18-2007, 05:52 AM
post a link to the Auction so we can watch $ $ $

Will do. under the "Ebay Discussion and Linkage" that is.

I hope to put the whole SX on in about a week or so .

I'd put items on here in the classifieds but it seems I have no luck selling stuff on here.

cr480r
11-18-2007, 06:16 AM
Nice work on the fender... that is quite a dust pile...lol... Now you can sell them as "light-weight racing fenders"

Huffa
11-18-2007, 06:22 AM
Nice work on the fender... that is quite a dust pile...lol... Now you can sell them as "light-weight racing fenders"

:lol: Those were my thoughts too !

Your up early or wait a minute, what time is it out there, it's 5:30 here, axious to get fender done :lol:

Those skid plates for the 200/350X are absolute :twisted: killer :twisted: looking (love that "H" style), I can't believe more members don't run these, the prices seem unreal for the guage of aluminum, time it takes to make them and the quality work they do.

http://prm-atv.com/MN.asp?pg=products&grp=40&mfr=2

RedRider_AK
11-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Nice SX fenders! They look almost new!

Hey Huffa, I've got some 06 Big Bear plastics I want to bring back to "showroom condition", for when I sell it. It's got some fairly deep scratches from rollovers and a lot of scuffing from boots and such. Any method you can explain to me? Not afraid of a couple hours sanding/buffing work.

P.S. Those skidplates ARE very nice.

edog
11-18-2007, 03:48 PM
I now what Gary wants for xmas!!!!!!!!

And it ain't his 2 front teeth.lol

Fender is looking good!

I sold my 200X rear for $200

jason 32
11-18-2007, 06:35 PM
yea wet sand - sticker it then clear over it- with the flexible bumper clear thats out these days

Dammit!
11-18-2007, 07:15 PM
I have a PRM rear skid plate for my 200x project and a nice OMF for the 350x. Need a nice one for my R. Still got the cheesy stocker for that one.

TwoHundredEx
11-22-2007, 08:27 PM
BTW ........a couple year ago there was a guy that posted yellow yamaha fenders that he did, spent 10 hours on them and did a excellent job, they looked like brand new if I remember correct, I did a search but can't find it, can't recall which model either, maybe a 200 ?

Bringing this back up again...
These the ones you were talking about?
Came up in a steering stop search :crazy:
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=24247&page=2&highlight=fender+restore

Huffa
11-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Bringing this back up again...
These the ones you were talking about?
Came up in a steering stop search :crazy:
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=24247&page=2&highlight=fender+restore

Actually that's an even better post concernig the "how to" of it, I have learned a few mistakes I did already that should help me get the other side done a bit quicker.

Thanks soooo much, appreciate it for sure !! :beer

Huffa
11-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Well it's all done, looks a bit better in pic then actually is but came a heck of a long way from how it used to be.

Main thing I was doing wrong (got lucky on 1st side somehow) is letting the sand paper get small patches of plastic grit on and all I was doing was rescratching it and not getting anywhere. :crazy:

I then discoverd the best way is to have a garden hose and have a constant low water flow while sanding, this way it's always getting rinsed and you get no build up. Once your at a fairly high grit 600 or so, you don't really need the hose anymore.

No 7 heavy duty compound helps a lot too after your done with 1500 grit.

Then I used what was mentioned in link a few threads back to take swirls out.

Found one small area by side of tool box lid (on fender though) that needed a small stitch job.

Now I hope i get a decent buck for it :rolleyes:

I don't want to look at another sheet of sandpaper for quite a while now :lol:

stealthduner
11-24-2007, 05:39 PM
You really think decals will make that much difference Chris, I mean they can just buy them themselves and slap them on ?

I think he is right, if it has the decals on it, they will look practicly new and possibly bring in more $$$$

Huffa
11-24-2007, 06:03 PM
I think he is right, if it has the decals on it, they will look practicly new and possibly bring in more $$$$

It's possible for sure but soley depends on if the guy (hunter/farmer) just wants a solid fender or it's someone that is really into trikes and cares a lot about the decals at all.

Certainly something for me to think about but I can't represent it as looking new, it's not perfect by any means and that is how I must describe it, I don't think it's worth 200 like I had thought, a fair price more like 175 or so.

:wondering Is my thinking wrong and if someone would pay 200 would that be ripping them off or still a fair deal ?

Never looked at SX decals either, I'll have to check them out.