PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys run for tires on your z's r's tech's..?

evand
11-17-2007, 10:46 AM
well im going to order a tire and rim package soon, and i was wondering what itres you guys run? im was looking at the 20-11-9 razr's and the 20-11-9 knarly's there both under 200 for a tire and rim package and look like they would hook/slide good, these are going on my z. it has 22 dirt dogs on there now and i hate them, can get them to slide at all.

thanks
Evan

Mosh
11-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I would look at a new set of takeoff yfz rear tires and rims.Get some yfz hubs or banshee hubs and slap them on there.I like those dunlops that are factory.They work well on a trail trike.Plus alot of times you can get them cheap from a stock yfz or raptor.
The razors and knarly's would be nice as well though,but I would still get the banshee yfz rear rims and hubs,so you have a easier time getting wheels when needed,vs. the small bolt pattern the tri-z and blaster rims.

Hot Trikes
11-17-2007, 11:21 AM
I run Super Grip SG Stingers. I don't think a lot of people have heard of them, but they make an awesome tire. They are six ply and handle really well. You can get them with a puncture proof lining also. I have never been very impressed with Razors or the ITP's, I spend most of my time on the trails and wanted something that would perform like a race tire, but was tough. 3 sets of the SG Stingers and not one problem, or puncture in almost 3 years on my 86 Tecate & 2 Tri Z's. They have a rim guard / bead protector built into them. The only negative I have found is they are a little heavy.

I am glad you started this thread, I think its time for a good tire discussion.

http://moderntire.com/supergrip-index.html will show you the tires.

brrcuda
11-17-2007, 12:42 PM
I really like to slide my trike whenever i can. I think that it's the best part of riding these relics.

For my tri-z, my favorite combo is .190 10" douglas wheels with 20" original razrs. I have trail ridden those tires everywhere and no problems in the northeast. They are 4ply and pretty light. I could break those loose pretty much anywhere and still climb up the big mountain trails. I liked them so much, i bought the same combo for my other tri-z (at the time). RAZRs with 10" rims on a tri-z look sweet.

Now if you have nice easy fast trails and you really want to slide - look into the duro h245s. They are 2ply, but the fun factor multiplies. I trail ride my duros, but I have to be conscious of sticks and sharp rocks with those. Oh, they look really cool too- more of a flat tracker.

Neither of these tires are great for winter though - but you didn't mention anything about that...... I am still looking for a good set for me for winter riding.

thats MO

Kintore
11-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Razrs are a great all around tire. Had the same set for 3 years now and never had 1 problem. Wear like iron too!

Depends what kinda riding your doing too. Turf tamers are dirt cheap and work great but 2 ply.

deathman53
11-17-2007, 01:14 PM
I have a set of itp xcr holeshots from 02 that I use for woods riding(you can see how oftem I do woods riding) and I have a front max tire that I use for the front. Most of my riding is done on mx tracks, so its grooved turf tamers and stock tread dunlap front tire.

NINJA
11-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Well, I'm still a huge fan of the Kenda Klaws combined with the Front Max. Been runnin that setup on the 200R since I had it and I have nothing bad to say about them. They slide very predictably and have excellent forward bite. Plus you can flip them around for mud or snow.

RID3R
11-17-2007, 07:18 PM
I have turf tamers on my 85 t3, like said cheap but very good tires for price, very easy to slide for me...