PDA

View Full Version : Got PRM skid plate for 84R - Problem ..........

Huffa
11-16-2007, 03:21 PM
They insist it is for an 84, I insist it isn't, the rear holes are too far apart.

I need proof from a few others, can you measure the distance, see if it matches mine, please.

They say every 84 plate is like that and never had anyone call.

:wondering Maybe I have a trick OEM swingarm on that slipped out of the factory :lol:

Dirtcrasher
11-16-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't have the right answer for you but mine for the 350X fit dead nuts. Of course you already know that you could mill them out to the side just a bit but you paid 100$ and feel it should bolt on. I'd feel the same way.....

Louis Mielke
11-16-2007, 06:51 PM
I would be patient and not jump up and down too much. Wouldn't want PRM to stop making stuff for trikes.

If I was you, I'd just open the holes up and forget about it but thats my honest opinion. I bought an armadilo plate, it came with spacers but they weren't big enough, no big, just made my own.

It's something we have to deal with because we're trying to preserve a dieing breed if you know what I mean.

SYKO
11-16-2007, 06:57 PM
word!! what luois right there just said!! I agree with him 100%!!

Dammit!
11-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Aren't the 1983 and 1984 swingers slightly different?

Huffa
11-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Aren't the 1983 and 1984 swingers slightly different?

Yes they are and I'm not the type guys to jump all over them and didn't but they insist every 84 is like that and even on there website it shows them wider.

If they are wrong, then they should follow through and correct the fault.

Another minor fault is they say when you buy the optional guide..... http://prm-atv.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=179&from=38&mfr=2..... they will install it free before shipping, well that isn't the case and I mentioned that, he (Brian) said they don't do that anymore because some want it postioned back or front a bit, that's A-OK by me, but take it off the website then.

I did say I love their products, and that all members on 3WW rave about them too.

Here is the 84 on their website, look, it is not the same as the one I have .

The tabs on front are different, the rear bracing is rounded on mine, theirs is more is squared off. On both though, the holes are too wide. The one they sent me does seem built stronger though in back then the other one, that's a plus for sure !

Most likely I will just redrill new holes but still want measurements from someone so I have proof that I don't have another swingarm on, that's what they actually thought, I told them I'm positive it's the stock one, stock linkage, stock everything back there.

I am going to send them a pic of my swingarm, just so they know for sure that it is a 84 but would like verifaction from at least two other guys that theirs is the same.

Cold it be possible Honda change them on the same year, some later ones came my way and earlier 84's had 83 style swingarms ? This is pretty strange :wondering

Dirtcrasher
11-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Do they actually offer both a skid for the 83 and a different one for the 84? If so, then I'd assume there is a mix up with either them or you.

Both years are tubular swingers??

My 350X plate came with the guide installed? I guess yours was an option....

badasskfx
11-16-2007, 08:56 PM
i would send it back. we got some ac stuff for a friend and it fit like crap. but we modified it drilled new holes and done. maybe e mail what you just posted and see what they say! if the stuff doesent fit who realy wants them to keep making it? not me!

Huffa
11-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Do they actually offer both a skid for the 83 and a different one for the 84? If so, then I'd assume there is a mix up with either them or you.

Both years are tubular swingers??

My 350X plate came with the guide installed? I guess yours was an option....

Yep, different one for 83 & 4 they insist I have the right one, I swear it can't be, hole wise that is.

Both years basically same swingarm except for shock mount in rear, I think.

I think you talking about the full length guide, that is on mine also but they offer another guide too, to put on top of that one, did you look at the link I gave ? Sort of confusing:wondering, see, when I orderd that extra guide, I did not know they came with a full length one on, you really can't see it much in their picture.

Huffa
11-16-2007, 09:04 PM
i would send it back. we got some ac stuff for a friend and it fit like crap. but we modified it drilled new holes and done. maybe e mail what you just posted and see what they say! if the stuff doesent fit who realy wants them to keep making it? not me!

I did email them that exact pic, they STILL insist it is for my model !

Normally I would send it back but you can not get them from any other company and really, it's just drilling two more holes, it's just that if you don't speak up, how are they ever going to know it's wrong!

Only takes a minute to measure, hope someone will do so. :beer 83 R too, just for the heck of it, see what we come up with.

jason85atc250r
11-16-2007, 09:11 PM
i got one of there desert grab bars on my 85atc250r and it fit perfectly no problems.

huffa maybe yours has a 83 swingarm on it.

toocheaptosmoke
11-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Only takes a minute to measure, hope someone will do so. :beer 83 R too, just for the heck of it, see what we come up with.

I just hiked out through the dark and cold, mine measures 2.25 as well.

Huffa
11-17-2007, 01:39 AM
I just hiked out through the dark and cold, mine measures 2.25 as well.

Thank you very much toocheaptosmoke !

It really makes me wonder if they KNOW the holes are wrong and just sending them out anyway ?

Huffa
11-17-2007, 01:42 AM
i got one of there desert grab bars on my 85atc250r and it fit perfectly no problems.

huffa maybe yours has a 83 swingarm on it.

Yea, I got a baja job and it fits fine too and no way on the swingarm, mines a 84 for sure. All there stuff is really nice but the hole guy screwed up on this one or rather ALL of the 84 ones !

It makes me wonder now what the measurement is for the 83's ?

Huffa
11-18-2007, 01:17 AM
Out of concern PRM actually called me and admitted they are mistified as to what is going on and even said they would drill other holes if I sent them ny stock skid plate.

Well I'm not going to take it that far and can certainly do that myself, it just seems like everyone they must have sold for a 84, that no one ever called and told them they were wrong.

I'm sure once I show them my swingarm and proof of other swingarm measirements they will know everyone made is wrong, because she said they were alll made that way, never been changed.

I thought that was really good customer realations, to personally call me like that and try to resolve the problem.

Dammit!
11-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Very cool to hear. Make sure to tell them we appreciate them making products for our "relics" ! I have several of their grab bars and at least one skid plate. Great stuff in my opinion.

Huffa
11-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Very cool to hear. Make sure to tell them we appreciate them making products for our "relics" ! I have several of their grab bars and at least one skid plate. Great stuff in my opinion.

Yes, they are built really well and I consider them a bargin, all their stuff, very fair prices.

rally4x4racer
11-18-2007, 11:38 AM
They set up drill fixtures and CNC's that get their position from one or more points on the part and machine the holes. If the part has measurements that are off a little here and there; the whole machine process can go out the window. So it just depends where the position is located from. In addition, some fixtures have bushings and mounts that wear and allow the bits to wobble (or the whole motor) - this looks like an endmill....

Often if something fails like this the company never knows it till the returns department crawls up their exhaust.

I just got a few pieces from them and they fit perfectly. However, if they did'nt they would have been in a box headed right back to them. It's about business, not three wheelers. If we create a demand for garbage - we will get it. If we tolerate trash, then there will be more three wheeler trash circulating the globe.

I guarantee they called you back because they finally figured out there is a process error. I will measure mine and post in a few.

disclaimer: PRM and their product kickass. I will continue to use them and support all high quality low cost products and services.