PDA

View Full Version : 86 tecate question?

oOGoFastOo
11-16-2007, 01:31 PM
will a 1985 tecate rear shock work on a 1986 t3? also can some one post a pic of the seat lach and fender brackets. the one i bought is all rigged up and itsnt right.

scooterroo
11-16-2007, 02:19 PM
i would have to say it would. i have both an 85 and an 86 t3 and to me the mounts look almost identical. there is no seat latch on the 86 however. the seat bolts up to the fenders and the rear fender brace, which bolts up on the first grabbar bolt hole. there are hooks that slide into tabs off the frame in the front and the brace is what holds it all in place once bolted up.

oOGoFastOo
11-16-2007, 02:27 PM
ok thanks thats how mine is sorta, but its missing the fender brace and has a home made grab bar.

Curtis-Tecate3
11-16-2007, 05:10 PM
What is wrong with the original shock?
How about a pic of that homemade grab bar.. I was thinking about making one of my own.

Thanks,

Curtis

ovhonda1
11-16-2007, 05:54 PM
IF his original shock is anything like my 86-it is very spongy. I need a place to rebuild it reasonably or need to know what will for sure mount without any mods.

oOGoFastOo
11-16-2007, 11:13 PM
i all ready took off the grab bar it was verry crappy. the shock is extremely spongy and this thing wheelies like a mofo im going to take the 85 swing arm and lengthin it and put it on there.

HondaHarry
11-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Ive never been able to confirm this, but a Cannondale Quad rear shock should be a direct replacement for the 86/87 Tecate Shock, even has the long line for the res. (at least the one I saw did.) I see you are from Oregon, ever hear of a shop called Rusty McGrath Racing in Central Point Oregon? Supposedly my 86 Tecate was built by them a LONG time ago, and ive never been able to find any info on this shop, so I always bug people from Oregon about it :cool: The number for the shop that is on the stickers plastered all over the bike is disconnected. So I figure they are out of business, but hope to find someone that knows anything about them and what kind of bikes they built. Oh yeah, lets see some pics of that tecate of yours. Mines posted around here somewhere. HH