PDA

View Full Version : Big Red 200ES frustration!!

willrideanythin
11-15-2007, 08:30 PM
My wifes Big red is an 84 and we are having some issues that I cant get to the bottom off but I think it may be a as simple as a battery.

The problem is the lights flicker, Head, tail, and dash lights. Alos when you get doe riding it it doesnt want to start. We just put a new stator (what I though it was) and CDI in it because we had them laying around in the parts pile. Still no change :( .

Next we tried a good battery from another machine we have and the light did not blink. My thought was the engine would run the lights by itself because the other Big Red I have doesnt have any lighing issues with a dead battery. The wiring is good.

Im lost and have no idea what to do. I am going to try a new battery and see how that works but if the engine wont run the lighing system, Will it run the lights and charge a new battery?

Any ideas?

Luke and Jen

longbedGTs
11-15-2007, 08:41 PM
The engine should be able to run the lights with no battery. If its not, then the battery probally isnt being charged either. Start it up and take a test light to the battery cables with the battery un-hooked. Are you sure the stator you installed was good?
Have you checked for voltage coming directly from the stator? I believe it is a yellow wire? Not sure, but Id start at the source and work your way towards the battery. Also, check for loose connections at the CDI box. Possibly a pin has worked its way loose, making intermittant contact.

willrideanythin
11-15-2007, 08:46 PM
I am 90% sure the stator was good, It came from an 84 200ES 1 week ago, that I was riding. I know the battery is toasted, and prolly wont take a charge, but I will check the wires after work Friday. I dont have a voltage meter because mine craped out. I will try to borrow one.

You must have a nice living room.

rx7turbo1
11-15-2007, 11:31 PM
It sounds like a loose or corroded connection. Did you check the on/off key switch? It's possible it is corroded, mine was.

But now my situation is different. I have solid lighting and primary voltage is 12v, but the secondary voltage (ignition) side of things is bad. Consider yourself lucky. I bet it's something simple. Bad ground or something. Get yourself a good battery!! cheapo hehe

ccdhowell
11-16-2007, 12:31 AM
How about the voltage regulator behind the battery box?

Somekindofjerk
11-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Yeah im with CCDHOWELL the voltage regulators do tend to go bad over time...

willrideanythin
11-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Ok guys I got myself a multi metyer from a buddy from work < I rreally am cheap. I tested the stator and it reads 22v output. I have checked the key switch wires a 100 times. The 12v plug by the head light is only putting out 2v, same with the battery. I am checking the voltage regulator next.

Sorry for the slow replies but I hant got any emails from 3www lately.
Thanks,
Luke

willrideanythin
11-17-2007, 08:05 PM
ok so I pull the the VR off my other Red and hook it up, Lights are bright and no flicker. I hook the original VR and the same no flicker and they are bight. I hook up the battery and the lights die, I mean go out totally. I just dont get it, So i pull the battery out of my other Red and hook it up and its fine. Did I mention the donor battery is dead too. I figure the 200 Reds pull easy so why not keep my arm and shoulder in top condition?

Next question is: Can a battery really be that dead? To pull the power away from the lights like that is way beyaond dead.

Luke

Howdy
11-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Yes the batteries can do that. I had one ( car ) that developed a dead short in it and it killed the car. You could take it some where and have it checked to be 100&#37; sure that is the problem.
Howdy

bigreddaddy
11-17-2007, 08:35 PM
I think the easiest thing to do would be to buy a new battery.

willrideanythin
11-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Yea, battery is on going to be purchased Monday after work. Im sure the battery will do it. Thanks for all the help guys!
Luke