PDA

View Full Version : 86t3 carrier..87t4 axle?

scooterroo
11-14-2007, 11:23 PM
think i remember seeing in one of threads on here, someone used a 87/88 t4 axle in a 86/87 t3 bearing carrier...any jist to this? does it work and if so whats involved? how much modding is needed and what parts are required? thinking if this is the case i could always slip in an extended axle for the t4's, like a durablue or something, into the rear of both my 85 and 86 t3's, seeing is how the 86 carrier will bolt right up to the 85 swinger, or just change the swinger altogether to an 86 which would give the 85 a 2inch extension.

RID3R
11-15-2007, 01:47 AM
I was searching the threads the other night on this and someone said they contacted durablue and they said the t4 axle wont work in the t3 carrier.. I was just thinking of getting 400ex hubs with spacers for mine. Or I think you can get extended 400ex hubs....?

BigGreenMachine
11-15-2007, 01:24 PM
You need a 2+2 Durablue Eliminator axle for the T4. Use a RAD locknut with the stock T3 sprocket and disc hubs. Bolts right up says TRIZTUNES so you know it works.

scooterroo
11-15-2007, 04:13 PM
really! well thanks for chiming in here james. maybe i'll hit triztunes up with a pm and see what he has to say about it.

Jason Hall
11-15-2007, 06:04 PM
I have a 85 atc250r axle In my 88 Tecate-4. I don't know If maybe you guys can make them fit the T3. I had to shave about 3/8" off the brake rotor hub so I could use the stock honda lock nut set up. The brake hub spline Is the same from the honda to the tecate. The axle diameter's where It contacts the bearing's are the same. I also had to put the stock 250r hub spacer on the outside of the left side hub & the right spacer on the Inside of the hub to keep the axle centered under the bike. Every T4 axle I've ever seen has a loose sprocket hub. That would mean a 400ex axle would fit the T4 carrier also. The sprocket lines up perfect with the stock T4 chain slider.

BigGreenMachine
11-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Dang! WHat a tidbit! Thanks!

nd4speed
11-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Just too addicted

Look for an extended 400ex axle. I put a RPM Dominator axle in my tecate bearing carrier. I used a 350x brake disc hub and axle nut. I also modified an 84 T3 brake disc to work. You will need to space out your brake caliper if you do this.

RID3R
11-16-2007, 02:35 PM
I contacted durablue about this to confirm they themself say it will not work. I emailed from there website saying I have a 86 tecate and want an extended axle etc etc etc and if a t4 axle will work, even with minor work. Can it fit the 86 t3 carrier?.. Heres what he says copied and pasted, not much but there email is on the site if you want to ask..

It will not work.

The best way is to modify the swing arm to fit the 3 wheeler.

Gary

BigGreenMachine
01-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Bump!

So the easiest way to get an extended axle is the T4 axle.

Has anyone done the 400EX or 250R axle in their Tecate yet?

OZQUAD44
01-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Dura blue don't give two hoots about modifying anything in regard to this topic! Don't listen to them! All they would be concerned about is an easy sale.

They no longer sell 86/7 T3 axles so as far as they are concerned that is end of story. If you look at this thread there are actual photos of a honda axle fitted into a kawasaki carrier. If Dura Blue gave a crap about your three wheeler why didn't they mention that? So I think that the statement by Dura blue that said "modifying the swingarm to fit the three wheeler" whatever the heck that meant? Was just a fob off.

Jason could you answer a couple of questions on the honda axle swap please?
1. Do The T4 wheel hubs fit a honda axle?
2. You said that the T4 brake rotor hub fit onto the Honda axle, Did the Kawasaki Sprocket hub fit also?

RID3R
01-25-2008, 09:18 AM
I take it you work or worked for durablue. You would know right? If I just had money to "maybe" waste I would have got a t4 axle and tried, like I think others would and know 4sure, and this thread wouldnt be here. Asking dont hurt. Fact is only a few say it works, many are still wondering.

Jason Hall
01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
You will play hell getting a honda sprocket hub off a honda axle, they are pressed on. I have never seen a 250r 85-86 sprocket hub come loose on the axle from normal use. Kawasaki & Yamaha hubs do get loose from normal use. No the R hubs don't fit the Kawisaki axle. But honda wheels are much easier to find then the kawi units. The problem Is, you probly have lots of T3 wheels.

OZQUAD44
01-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks Jason
So if your using the Honda sprocket hub I take it then that the Honda sprocket hub has a shoulder for the seal to run on that is very similar in dimension to the Kawasaki shoulder? This would explain how the sprocket alignment worked out.
Yes I have a nioce set of Kwacker hubs I was hoping to use in the event that I find a nice doner axle. Bugger....

Rid3r
Nope never worked for Dura Blue, Nor am I trying to disrespect their product. I have an X33 axle in my YFZ after all. What I'm trying to get across is this. Dura Blue, like many other ATV companies, are retailers. They would be interested primarly in the product they sell for the application to which it was designed. They would not be wasting their time trying to work out if an axle they make for a 20 year old Quad, will fit a 21 year old three wheeler. They are not called "Dura-Trike modifications out of the- Blue".

I belive that it would have been nice if they could have elaborated why a T4 Axle won't fit an 86 T3. Are the splines different? did the bearing surface diameters change? Are the bearing surfaces located at different spots on the axle? Does the person who replied to your question actually know? etc... The answer they provided was this... NO it dosen't work. That is the answer I would expect they, the retailer, would give.

Can it be done? Apparently it can, if you listen to some people that post on here. Do I belive that it can be done? yeah sure, Axles fitting into bearing carriers isn't rocket sience. Would I do it myself? Not without a little more information from someone who has done it.

I hope I made myself a bit clearer

Regards

RID3R
01-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I understand. Im just thinking if they are looking for an easy sale, which makes sense like I think any business would. They would take time out to simply say it will work in the t3, if it really does. If its only going to take " You need a 2+2 Durablue Eliminator axle for the T4. Use a RAD locknut with the stock T3 sprocket and disc hubs. " That sounds simple enough. Does it not? But no they did not explain why it wont fit even though I did ask. But the best way is to modify the swinger is what they said.

Im sure it can be made to fit but, I think its going to take a little more than expected or said. And maybe its not worth it. Or the best way actually is to modify a swinger? Even if the axle fits, does not mean it may work in the long run. Things can be just a little off, and cause problems im sure you know. But hey, it fits.... ?

If its as simple as what has been said here or in many other threads. Why still the question if it really does work? Leads me to think, it really dont. I would love to do it also, myself. But I would hate to have it done knowing its not even worth it in the long run or a better way to go about it. Ill see what I get asking durablue why it wont fit again....

RID3R
01-28-2008, 07:48 PM
This is all I got from them, copied and pasted

Quite simply, it does not fit. Bearing spacing, spline lengths etc are all different, which is why it takes a different axle. If you are looking for prints of each so that you can compare, I do not have this obsolete information any longer.

Gary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BigGreenMachine
01-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Looking for the parts to try the 400EX axle. Anyone know the stock 400EX width?

RID3R
01-31-2008, 10:45 PM
400ex axle is 33" I believe. Do you know if the sprocket/brake hubs from the tecate fit the 400ex axle? A buddy of mine has a ex just down the road, I dont know if he would let me take to it, and try it in the t3 or not. But I can get pics of both axles and more measurments if it helps.

BigGreenMachine
01-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Try it if you can.

BigGreenMachine
02-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Anyone want to sell me a 400EX axle to try?