PDA

View Full Version : Decide by Friday,200x or Yamaha 225dx??

ChaoticBastard
11-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Ok I have until friday. I can either buy a very nice Yamaha 225dx or a 200x. The 225 is all stock and runs good. No flaws that I can see. The 200x runs excellent,has a DG chrome pipe Plastics are good. It smokes a little on startup and might need rear hub bearings in the future.They are OK for now. I wont spill the price but they are within 50 bucks of each other..

I am 6'0 tall and 272 pounds. I like the shaft and elec start of the Yamaha but I have always been a Honda guy. Here are pics of the 2.

edog
11-14-2007, 06:42 PM
225 all the way to the bank!!!!!!!!!!
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/edog_02/new-5-for-3wheelerorg.jpg

oldskool83
11-14-2007, 06:44 PM
wow you big for a 200x, i am only 5"6 135 in gear, you may find a 200x kinda small if ya never hav been on one. 225 is nice but parts are hard to find vs a 200x. if you go 225 make sure you get another one for spares. i say go for the 200x and when the motor goes do a auto-x swap.

write down the positives and negiatives of both...by friday see what ones wins out on paper.

edog
11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
wow you big for a 200x, i am only 5"6 135 in gear, you may find a 200x kinda small if ya never hav been on one. 225 is nice but parts are hard to find vs a 200x. if you go 225 make sure you get another one for spares. i say go for the 200x and when the motor goes do a auto-x swap.

write down the positives and negiatives of both...by friday see what ones wins out on paper.

Why must you get another 225 for spare?

Huffa
11-14-2007, 06:52 PM
How aggresive of a rider are you and what type of riding will you be doing, that we should know 1st.

ChaoticBastard
11-14-2007, 06:55 PM
A few more pics of each. I have ridden 200x's before. I am only using these machines as trail bikes. No mountain climbing or racing. Good idea to write a list and compare.I will do that.

I am basically putzing around the woods by my property and maybe doing some not so steep hill climbs,lol

super90
11-14-2007, 06:59 PM
200x, plentiful parts, good trail machine, modifiable, manual clutch!

TwoHundredEx
11-14-2007, 07:01 PM
I've never seen a 225 in person, but from the looks of it, it might be a little smaller than the X. So I'd say the X would be a little better suited to your size.
225's are auto's right? So it would also depend on wether you want a clutch or not, probably won't matter, but I know some people prefer an auto for really technical trails. I know I'd rather have a clutch because I feel more in control, but it's something else to think about. The 200X also has front and rear hydraulic discs as opposed to the mechanical drums on the 225.

ChaoticBastard
11-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. From what I was told and read, 225dx Forks are easy to bend But I do not plan on hitting anything if I can help it. This 200x Smokes just a little bit when you start it but it does not leave a trail. And yes the 225 is Auto,Shaft. How hard is it to change Hub bearings on a 200x? I looked on ebay and parts are everywhere for hondas. There some for yamahas but not as many. Fortunatly for me I live near an ATV/CYCLE Junkyard . So I am not too worried about getting parts

SYKO
11-14-2007, 07:14 PM
hub bearings are a cinch!! thats a no brainer right there! got for the 200x homie!

Dirtcrasher
11-14-2007, 07:22 PM
It's just a stepping stone anyhow so have at either of them.

The Honda is most certainly a lighter trail blazing machine. I think of the 225 as a lazy, cruise around fun machine. Nothing wrong with that, I love my 250SX (similar machine) but I like to go fast and jump so I don't ride that tank much anymore.

How much do you ride and it's just trails? Parts do wear out, junkyard or not and most junkyards have junk.

The 200X is a light fun trike. Just check it out real good because they get beat up bad and don't start for crap when the compression gets low.

SYKO
11-14-2007, 07:36 PM
and if you get tired of building the 200x motor for about the same price as a rebuild you can just buy a new lifan motor and swap in with little modifications, ( do a search, been done a few times allready!)

Yamada
11-14-2007, 09:07 PM
get both, The yamaha to have fun day after day..., and the honda to modify.

PaTriker
11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Go for the 225DX. Had both, preferred the Yamaha.

RacerRichie
11-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Dude you need a much bigger bike than a 200x or 225 ..........
but if you must choose.............. for 'riding around' the 225dx is the way to go.

pickleweasel_00
11-14-2007, 09:40 PM
come to the darkside... go with the yamaha :naughty:

ChaoticBastard
11-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Dude you need a much bigger bike than a 200x or 225 ..........
but if you must choose.............. for 'riding around' the 225dx is the way to go.

Na I rode 185's at my size. They still pull just as hard. The way my mindset is now I think it will be the 225. This is going to be a first of many 3 wheelers. I can already feel the itch and I havent bought one yet.:Bounce

cr480r
11-14-2007, 09:46 PM
why must you decide by friday? and why are these your only options? Have you considered a big red?

ChaoticBastard
11-14-2007, 09:56 PM
why must you decide by friday? and why are these your only options? Have you considered a big red?

They are probably only going to be held at the price I am getting them for by friday. And I love big reds,But everyone in my area is INSANE on the prices they want for them. $1200 for a busted up big red with a leaky case is what I have been running into. And mostly all of the 200es,200 big reds I have seen have rotted,rusted frames where the frame bends back up behind the motor. Also I have been looking for 4 mons now and these are the best deals I can find.

NINJA
11-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Go with the 200X! You absolutely can't go wrong with it. Parts are plentiful enough, far better brakes, far better suspension, far better handling, and it's lighter. Need I say more.

atctim
11-14-2007, 10:57 PM
For trail riding and your size - you would be happier with the 225 - electric start is really nice to have - plus the 225 has more lugging power - might not be as quick - but has more torque for what kind of riding you described. I'm a hardcore Honda fan and a large mammal, and for trail ability - I'd take the 225 all day long!

edog
11-14-2007, 11:11 PM
For trail riding and your size - you would be happier with the 225 - electric start is really nice to have - plus the 225 has more lugging power - might not be as quick - but has more torque for what kind of riding you described. I'm a hardcore Honda fan and a large mammal, and for trail ability - I'd take the 225 all day long!

Finally someone with some common sense:p

Dirtcrasher
11-14-2007, 11:27 PM
That Yami does have reverse correct?

Isn't the 225 maybe 40 lbs give or take different than the 200X? Thats allot more weight to be turning around. It doesn't have a manual clutch you can rev up and dump to spin her around either does it?

NINJA
11-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Man I love arguments. Oh yeah, it's on now. I actually favor Yamaha in snowmobiles, dirtbikes, streetbikes, and quads. When it comes to trikes though......

bigreddaddy
11-15-2007, 01:12 AM
I'm roughly the same size as you, a little taller though. I had an '85 200x a few years ago and it was fun, but it did seem too small for me. My main ride now is a 250es big red and it is a much better fit.
If it were ME, I would go with the 225dx.
Also, in my area a 225dx in that condition would hold a much higher resale value than the 200x.

RID3R
11-15-2007, 04:30 AM
I would get the 225 dx. I had a ytm200 and that was probly one of the best rides I had as far as the fun goes. I remember me and 2 other friends on it pulling us through mud, and thats like 600lbs or so.. I was driving, one was on the rear rack and the other was on the front rack.. good times.

Huffa
11-15-2007, 07:05 AM
They are probably only going to be held at the price I am getting them for by friday. And I love big reds,But everyone in my area is INSANE on the prices they want for them. $1200 for a busted up big red with a leaky case is what I have been running into. And mostly all of the 200es,200 big reds I have seen have rotted,rusted frames where the frame bends back up behind the motor. Also I have been looking for 4 mons now and these are the best deals I can find.

A few things .........

In your area ? I'm in your "area" and don't agree with that at all. I sort of take it you don't really want to travel too far to find one ?

Like said by RacerRichie as in needing a bigger trike, I agree, for your weight they are really both too small, your really working those motors hard but if that's all you can afford, I understand that too. A 350 X, by all means, is what you should have if you would save more .

I live in Slatington PA and will be selling my 1985 250 SX (nice machine, no POS for sure ) for $800 if you are interested in that at all ? Free delivery.

Has stock pipe on, not this one in pic.

ChaoticBastard
11-15-2007, 09:51 AM
A few things .........

In your area ? I'm in your "area" and don't agree with that at all. I sort of take it you don't really want to travel too far to find one ?

Like said by RacerRichie as in needing a bigger trike, I agree, for your weight they are really both too small, your really working those motors hard but if that's all you can afford, I understand that too. A 350 X, by all means, is what you should have if you would save more .

I live in Slatington PA and will be selling my 1985 250 SX (nice machine, no POS for sure ) for $800 if you are interested in that at all ? Free delivery.

Has stock pipe on, not this one in pic.

Yes in my area everything I have looked at within a 80mile radius is junk. I spent an hour driving to NY to look at a 250 Big red with a rotted frame. I drove to Lehighton and saw a very nice 250sx. The engine rattled more then my weedwacker. It gets tiring. Yours is very nice but just for a barnburner I am keeping my budget low. Even with a low budget people shouldnt be selling 200s's for 500 and up. Especially when they are garbage. In jan I plan on buying a much nicer one.

Yamada
11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Go with the 200X! You absolutely can't go wrong with it. Parts are plentiful enough, far better brakes, far better suspension, far better handling, and it's lighter. Need I say more.

The 225 come with a mechanical rear disk brake. If your cable are properly ajusted I'm sure you can stop has quick has a 200x can. The brake of a ytm-200 and 225 are identical and let me tell you that with used pad on the rear I'm able to lock the brake on pavement. Sure they are not hydraulic and the front is a drum, but in trail, personally, I never use the front brake anyway.

Meat-BoX
11-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Man if your getting the Yammi and Honda for under $500 each, I would buy them both and that 250x and get started on a collection.:beer
Serious either of those two machines for close to $500 is a great deal I think, if they are good as you say. That 225 looks really nice and is a nice cruiser. Easy to ride. Everyone knows about 200X's, they are solid machines, fun and easier to get parts for. But if it were me for a few more hundred dollars I would be jumpin on the 250x with both feet if shes nice. That machine kicks ass :w00t:

Huffa
11-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Yes in my area everything I have looked at within a 80mile radius is junk. I spent an hour driving to NY to look at a 250 Big red with a rotted frame. I drove to Lehighton and saw a very nice 250sx. The engine rattled more then my weedwacker. It gets tiring. Yours is very nice but just for a barnburner I am keeping my budget low. Even with a low budget people shouldnt be selling 200s's for 500 and up. Especially when they are garbage. In jan I plan on buying a much nicer one.

I'm with ya there, that's why when I go to look at stuff any more I tell the seller right out I get extremly upset if I get there and it's not how they described it to me.

So the guy never said a word about the rotted frame or he acted dumb like "Gee, I never saw that before" :rolleyes: :lol:

........and the SX guy ..... ":wondering What rattle ? " :lol:

I traveled 400 miles to get a dual sport bike and while it was very nice, it was no where near immaculate like the guy had said. OH, he sent me a dozen pictures of everthing that looked fine, where the minor rust and dirt was he didn't bother to take those pictures.

Then the IDIOT says ...."Well no one is forcing you to buy it" , What and IDIOT MAN, I said DUDE, I traveled 400 miles to get this thing, it's not like your 5 miles down the road, some people man are unreal, I feel for ya buddy :beer

ChaoticBastard
11-15-2007, 09:07 PM
WELL Its off for now. I had my Jeep sold tonight and I am probably selling it too cheap.The lady said she could not get insurance but still wanted it. And wanted to drive it home in my name...NA So until I sell it I cant buy anything..yay!