PDA

View Full Version : i hate projects....

Nightbiker07
11-13-2007, 12:44 AM
well, i got my motor back today. 65 bux for the work, the skirt was too tall and hitting the crank, not letting it mount flush with the bottom end.
the cylinder was too tall, and had to be shaved.

now, getting the motor into the frame sucked. i gouged my fresh paint straight to hell, ALL over the place (on the frame).
after smashing my hand about 7000 times, and re-gouging my finger, i got the motor and suspension together.

i managed to lose my nuts that hold the jug on the bottom end. and i snapped the bolt that goes on the shift shaft.

i may have to tear it back apart because the clutch isnt working properly, its "jumpy" or, well, idk how to describe it. the linkage is correct, both exterior and interior. I will know more after it gets some lube in the case. been 2 weeks dry lol.

i gave up putting the steering stabilizer on, i dont want to remount all the electrical crap.

UGH MY FRAME PAINT LOOKS LIKE HELL!

not looking forward to jetting the new carb. worried i will kill the fresh motor.

need a new front brake assembly, one half the bracket that holds the handle on is broke off.........

i wont ever do another project again....it costs about the same.
cause when its apart, getting minimal work, its "only a bit more to go a step further."

next "project" a 85 or 86 R, i will buy in prestine order, then throw the bigbore kit onto it.

ATC-Eric
11-13-2007, 12:49 AM
That sounds about right :lol:

Just remember, take a deep breath, step back, and take your time. I rushed my Z, and ended up "finishing" it about 3 times. Its on its 3rd topend this year because I had a lot of problems being satisfied with what went on.

Give the clutch a little time before you tear it apart again. It might just need a little lube.

Nightbiker07
11-13-2007, 12:55 AM
yeah.....when i pull the lever , it "clicks" like the basket is extremely grooved...but it aint. i checked it. and it didnt do it before. well, we will see after its together. and it doesnt return quite right either. it clicks as well. if its broke, i swear to god its gettin burned.........

as for the top end, there is not much more i can do to it, i got the 300kit, about left is ported and polished. no race gas for me.

thefox
11-13-2007, 12:57 AM
I have struggled putting an engine in a freshly painted frame before. Key things, make sure the paint is fully dry (wait a week!), have someone help you even though you can lift it in yourself. I also wrap the frame in clean rags, packaging tape works to hold them in place. After the engine is in I then cut the tape and pull the rags out. Last time I put my 4 cylinder street bike engine in this way it saved a lot of paint.

Nightbiker07
11-13-2007, 01:04 AM
i can never remember how to get it in....its mostly playin with angles and tearing it up to get it in. the paint is a month old.

Kintore
11-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Yah, its going to suck for me. Got about a pube hair fitting clearence for my PV motor in my soon to be freshly PC white frame. Take the time!

ceaserthethird
11-13-2007, 04:18 AM
Wow buddy take your time ... Walk away ... come back couple days later ...

O and don't forget to post pictures

Huffa
11-13-2007, 06:49 AM
You gave up putting the stablizer on, just what do you mean you "gave up" you can'r figure it out ?

Nightbiker, for some of the things don't blame the trike. It's you that made the mistakes on the engine install, you should have tried it (practice run) before you painted the frame and took notes while removing it (a few minutes or so!) so you remembered exactly the technique, that way you would not have a care what so ever if you scratched it up.

It's a good rule for any part placement that is a tight fit and that's one reason I'm painting my frame last and not 1st, I'll know from removing/installing everything else just how they go.

I agree with you a 100 percent that the majority of projects on here surpass what you can buy a decent one for, easily, but it does give great gradifacation when your done and can say "Yea, I did that".

One thing that really bugs me is you gripe about the engine install then don't mention a word to us what the correct technique is and for that matter you should of asked on here 1st before trying it.

Everytime I have a problem I just watch :lol: American Chopper then my problem seem so minute that they are not a big deal at all and that's what they do, put the whole trike together 1st, then rip it down and get it painted onece everything is lined up right and figured out.

Hey, if you don't want the damper and are not going to use it, just send it back to me then.

I still don't understand why the skirt was too tall, it's a OEM Honda cylinder, something just doesn't seem right that they had to shave it down ?

Hey, your really young yet and I'll admit I did stuff like that too but long ago realized it's far better to take notes (and pictures now a days!) and take just a few more minutes which can literally translate into saved hours and hours when it's time to reconstruct.

Like Ceaser says ... Wow buddy take your time ... Walk away ... come back couple days later ...

That's always the best thing to do, just relax buddy, you'll get it done! :beer

cr480r
11-13-2007, 07:10 AM
UGH MY FRAME PAINT LOOKS LIKE HELL!

Thank god for dirt....

Nightbiker07
11-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Thank god for dirt....

EXACTLY!

As for a technique to get the motor in, i dont know it.....
i just played with it till it fell into place. you have to put the back of the motor in first, thats about the only tip i can offer.

as for the stabilizer, when i get the itch to make a change, i will put it on. i have had it on twice now, on both sides, but on one side (last place i had it) the pipe is in the way. i have to relocate the electrical stuff to get it back on the other side, and i dont feel like playing with it right now.

its about 90% together now, have to bolt the jug down to the bottom end, install nu carb, then tube it.

Huffa
11-13-2007, 01:46 PM
EXACTLY!

As for a technique to get the motor in, i dont know it.....
i just played with it till it fell into place. you have to put the back of the motor in first, thats about the only tip i can offer.

as for the stabilizer, when i get the itch to make a change, i will put it on. i have had it on twice now, on both sides, but on one side (last place i had it) the pipe is in the way. i have to relocate the electrical stuff to get it back on the other side, and i dont feel like playing with it right now.

its about 90% together now, have to bolt the jug down to the bottom end, install nu carb, then tube it.

Tube what ?

rally4x4racer
11-13-2007, 02:17 PM
i think he meant plumb it

I have gotten very frustrated before. 9 times out of 10 the stressor is not the project. Maybe I will just be overworking myself, or just have so much stuff to do that I am just working to get it done and out of my way. We all get into these projects because we enjoy working on stuff. If we lose focus and start trying to operate a "project factory" things get frustrating.

Nightbiker07
11-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Tube what ?

tune it lol

tri dee
11-13-2007, 03:50 PM
stick at it dude, look what i've done to my Zee :naughty:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/samuellister/xframe008.jpg

ATC-Eric
11-13-2007, 07:03 PM
stick at it dude, look what i've done to my Zee :naughty:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/samuellister/xframe008.jpg

What in gods name did you do to that thing!!! :eek:

and whats goin in it? :naughty:

NINJA
11-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Heh heh heh, startin to look like a Ducati frame. Nice work man!

NINJA
11-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Oh yeah, and Nightbiker, just drink a beer and walk away. Come back when you've calmed down. It sounds like you've really been crankin on this project a little too fast. Stop thinking about riding it and start thinking about how the project reflects on you. The advice about wrapping your frame tubes is very good advice. That's what the mechanics have to do at the dealers. Hang in there man and take one problem at a time.

Nightbiker07
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
the problem is i waited FOREVER on this shitty shop to get something done that i had to redo myself. so now that i got it back, everything was supposed to be ready to go. Then, well, i needed a carb, the top end needed milled..... on and on and on, you all know how it goes..........

i am perfectly capable of doing almost anything, and for what i have ? about, i come here. yes, i could research and figure it out, but asking is alot easier.

i am just bitchin about the overall pain in the ear this has been......

1upfront
11-13-2007, 08:14 PM
i can never remember how to get it in....its mostly playin with angles and tearing it up to get it in. the paint is a month old.

The 83-84 R's are tough to get the motor in without scratching the frame just put masking tape 3 layers over the problem areas before installing the motor and it only goes in from the right side if it's a fully assembled motor.

Nightbiker07
11-13-2007, 08:39 PM
yeap. i know now which side it goes in. and i didnt know the problem areas until it became a problem LMAO.

oh well, nothing a lil spray cant fix!

tri dee
11-14-2007, 10:18 AM
i'm fitting an Xt600 engine, i had to graft in the lower cradle off an SRX 6 to it all fits snug & thought what the hell :lol: . I'll post some pics soon when i've bolted the forks on - having a break from it at the moment...

rally4x4racer
11-14-2007, 12:52 PM
thats what I get for thinking....