PDA

View Full Version : HELP! SX carb leaking gas!

Name Brand
11-12-2007, 05:23 PM
I have the day off and want to go riding in the snow but here's the problem. This is on my '85 SX, carb is stock. When I turn the fuel selector to ON, gas immediately runs out of the drain hose of the carburator. If I hold the end of the hose closed with a finger, gas runs out of the overflow hose. What's going on? Is something stuck open (or closed) on the inside? The gas flows steadily like it's uninterupted from the fuel tank, not a drip. :wondering

I rebuilt this carb about two years ago and haven't had any problems. I'm not interested in swapping carbs right now. I want to go riding!!!

Do I just need to pull the carb off and clean it? The trike has always run fine though...

mgenest
11-12-2007, 05:32 PM
I had this problem last week my float was stuck. Had to take the carb off and jiggle it around. Was fine after that.

Bo0YaA
11-12-2007, 05:51 PM
yup, sounds like the floats stuck.

Dirtcrasher
11-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Do you run an inline filter? It's a must even with plastic tanks but esp. metal tanks....

Name Brand
11-13-2007, 02:32 AM
Well, after a few good, strong shakes it completely stopped leaking. If it keeps doing it I'll tear it apart again I guess. I think it was just a fluke. It's been inside for about two weeks and does this. This past year it was stored inside for seven months and was totally fine. :crazy:

No, I'm not running an in-line filter at all. My metal tank is totally shiny inside and I only fill it from the gas pump or my plastic reserve tank. When I rebuilt the carb it was clean in there too. Not saying I don't need one, just haven't really considered putting one in.