PDA

View Full Version : will a kfx/ltr 400 carb work on my 350x?

SYKO
11-10-2007, 01:04 PM
yep need to know I got one in a trade, I had to order a choke plunger, will it work on the 350x? would it be an upgrade like the 400ex carb? :wondering

1upfront
11-10-2007, 01:18 PM
yep need to know I got one in a trade, I had to order a choke plunger, will it work on the 350x? would it be an upgrade like the 400ex carb? :wondering

HUH? sycolincoln asking a question I thought you knew everything Alan:lol: :lol: Just kidding you dude the only thing I might worry about is if it has any kind of electronics hooked up to it like TPS and so on, I don't get into the new 4 pokes so I don't know crap about the carb's they have.

SYKO
11-10-2007, 01:42 PM
hey what can I say?? im not a 4 stroke guy!! no electrics, and someone is going to have to explain to me how the slide works!! its not hooked to anything other than a diaphram at the top of the carb, the throttle cable only operates the buerfly valve on this carb, does this carb have to have a vacume assist hookup? and how would I go about doing this? is it even worth it? lol

SYKO
11-10-2007, 01:45 PM
apparently it does use a vacum assist on it, there is a line that feeds directly into the top of the carb into the slide diaphram, how would I hook this up, put a hole and a fitting into my intake boot? man.......4 strokes suck! this is all so overkill

SYKO
11-10-2007, 04:28 PM
anyone? come on guys!

Jason Hall
11-10-2007, 06:05 PM
If I was you I would look for a FCR from a crf450. You will probly have to mess with the suzuki carb a while, where the FCR Is alot easier to tune. The FCR Is alot like a 2 stroke carb adjustment wise, except Is has a fuel screw Instead of a air screw. It also has an accelerator pump. That Is just my opinion. I'm sure you can make the zuk carb work, either way let us know how you make out.

SYKO
11-10-2007, 06:10 PM
well thats what I want to know can I make it work? I dont want to go hackin up my only running ride ride now to find out, It also has a full moose stage 2 jet kit with it so its very tunable, also wouldnt that 450 carb be a bit strong for a stock 350?, the main thing here, is that im asking how does the slide work? its not like the stock 350x carb with the linkage to open it up theres nothing like that, it appears to be vaccum operated and I dont know where that needs to be hooked up.

Jason Hall
11-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Since you have It, put It on and see what happens. The vacume from the engine pulling air Is what pulls the slide open. It might work great. Can you make the throttle cable fit the honda thumb throttle? When I put a 400ex carb on my 350x I had to adjust the accelerator pump so It would'nt stumble just off Idle. The 350x engine wanted a shot earlier than the 400ex. See If the suzuki carb has a adjustment for the acc pump If It does, get an Idea of how to adjust It & let er rip. As long as you know what adjustments to make to tune It In, I'm sure you can make It work. Just remember when adjusting the Pilot screw that you are adjusting fuel, not air like on a 2 stroke carb.

One pointer that I always try to pass on Is. If the air/fuel screw Is In front of the slide you're adjusting fuel, In Is less- out Is more. If the A/F screw Is behind the slide you're adjusting air & In Is less- out Is more.

SYKO
11-10-2007, 07:46 PM
I will give it a shot tomoorow, but I dont see where the vacume of the motor will pull the slide open but WTH I will try.

badasskfx
11-10-2007, 08:07 PM
one line goes to a vacume operated fuel petcock. that will need to be blocked off.

SYKO
11-10-2007, 08:59 PM
ok I think I know of that line, but at the top of the carb in the diaphram that operates the slide there is another inlet with a line hooked up to it.

badasskfx
11-10-2007, 10:09 PM
one of them is a vent. it is fairly large, and i think on the left side.. the vacume line for the fuel petcock is smaller in diameter...they have natural bends in them. thew vent goes down the vacume line goes up. if you need some more help i can give more detail monday when i grab the service manuel. i adjusted my friends valves on an 03 z 400 and jetted the carb on thursday and he has my manuel.

torker
11-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Syko, install the carb and try it. I'm pretty sure it will work. It did on my DS 650 with nothing hoked up to it. The hose that worked the diaphram on the DS ran from the airbox and when it was removed it worked without doing anything else at all. The carb you are working with is the same, only smaller. It will pro'lly need adjustment tho.
Hope this helps.

TORKER.

SYKO
11-10-2007, 10:57 PM
one of them is a vent. it is fairly large, and i think on the left side.. the vacume line for the fuel petcock is smaller in diameter...they have natural bends in them. thew vent goes down the vacume line goes up. if you need some more help i can give more detail monday when i grab the service manuel. i adjusted my friends valves on an 03 z 400 and jetted the carb on thursday and he has my manuel.

thanx!!! thats what I needed but still monday let me now the exact rouging and placement of those lines you are talking about, and TORKER I wll do as you and a few others have sugested just put the damn thing on and see if it works.

:welcome:

DIGGER DOG
11-11-2007, 11:03 AM
the suzuki carb you have is called a constant velocity it works via air pressure flowing
through the venturi passing lift holes in the slide causing it to rise also pressure at the top of diaphraghm.
the z 400 and like engines i think are bigger air pumps than the X beacuse of the shorter stroke way more of a revver than the X that = massive air flow that I think the X wont be able to match.
I would try to find a mechanical slide carb for it
I may have an oem 350x carb at work I could part with but it may need a rebuild kit
Drop by the shop tuesday if interested its Honda,Yamaha, Kawasaki of Albany Ga.
Ask to see Steve. By the way Ill just give you the carb.

SYKO
11-11-2007, 11:50 AM
thats cool man, I remember your in albany, but I have my stock carb for it so its no biggie, thanx for letting me know whats up with the carb, I probably plan on putting this carb on the bay and get a 400ex carb for it.

willrideanythin
11-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Its from an ltz400 not an ltr400, Just thought Id let you know. Did you get the Dynjet kit with it?
Luke

SYKO
11-11-2007, 06:24 PM
yea this came with a dynojet kit, did you originaly have it?

willrideanythin
11-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Yea, I was the original owner & it came off a 2004 LTZ400. The plunger choke is a gret upgrade for them, The cables suck. I am thinking of doing a pluger switch on my DVX400. As far as I can figure it would work on your 350X. Try here for a differnt view on the carb swap, www.z400central.com
Luke

SYKO
11-11-2007, 06:33 PM
thanx man!! so let me ask you this where do those 2 hoses goto for sure (since you owned it) and what do I need to do with them?

willrideanythin
11-11-2007, 06:43 PM
I will run out and check my DVX in the shop, BRB.

willrideanythin
11-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Ok the one on the choke side right next to the choke is a vacume line for a petcock, Plug it off with a screw and zip tie or use it for a NOS system. Mine is noe because I am using a Raptor petcock on my DVX. The one on the bottom is a vent line, No biggie just let it hang. I think theres another one but its dark and I cant see but I will check tom night if [I] remember.
Hope this helps,
Luke

SYKO
11-11-2007, 06:57 PM
alittle, Im waiting on the choke plunger so i wont try it untill then