PDA

View Full Version : Tecate ignition

white rat
11-09-2007, 09:20 PM
I have just traded my ol' KX80 for a 86 KX250. I've read somewhere here that a tecate stator, flywheel and ignition will fit it. I'm trying to soften the rush it has because I ride in the woods most of the time.

Will this work and does the tecate have a lighting coil on the stator?

Cheers

nd4speed
11-09-2007, 10:46 PM
The Tecate flywheel may require the stator and the CDI box. Usually all the igniton parts have to be used together and can't be mixed. I really do not know if it would work. Tecates have a lighting coil.

I do not suggest buying the OEM Tecate flywheel. The flywheel magnets are glued on and fall off eventually. After market flywheels are available from companies like Ricky Stator. Try asking them or look for flywheel weights.

I have a 1986 KX250 and a 1986 KXT250 and the motor for the 86-87 3 wheeler is the same except the cdi/stator/wheel.

I am looking at a parts bike on ebay right now so I may have that in the future.

Check mine out here:
http://forums.everything2stroke.com/kawasaki/17112-my-250-kx250-1986-a.html

cr480r
11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
I have just traded my ol' KX80 for a 86 KX250. I've read somewhere here that a tecate stator, flywheel and ignition will fit it. I'm trying to soften the rush it has because I ride in the woods most of the time.

Will this work and does the tecate have a lighting coil on the stator?

Cheers

It will work... and it will definately soften up the power delivery and gain traction... but, unless you want the headlight you might consider just building a flywheel wieght for the kx system....

The Tecate flywheel may require the stator and the CDI box. Usually all the igniton parts have to be used together and can't be mixed. I really do not know if it would work. Tecates have a lighting coil.

The stator must be changed for sure... And I think the CDI's probably do too...

white rat
11-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys. I'll look into getting a weight for it before I hunt for the tecate stuff. I'd like to have a light but in realty I could live without it.

nd4speed, you stole that bike. How'd the 84 shock fit? Did it lower it or keep it at stock hight? I need all the hight it has. I'm going to look at a 87 KX250 this week that need a top end, now I need to find a tecate roller close to me so I can drop one of these motors in it.

Cheers

nd4speed
11-10-2007, 10:46 PM
I believe the 84 shock was shorter and I lowered it a bit with the dog bone.