PDA

View Full Version : question about starting a 350x

longbedGTs
11-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Does everyone start at the compression stroke? How about kicking from the intake stroke through the compression stroke? My problem seems to be that Im not kicking fast enough. I physically cant. If I started at intake stroke, Id have enough momentum to go through the compression stroke with less trouble than starting at the compression stroke. Any ideas on this theory?

Nightbiker07
11-08-2007, 09:20 PM
fix the decompression lever?
try different methods, and see what works for you.

SWIGIN
11-08-2007, 09:24 PM
i find that if you tap the throtle right as the kicker is at the end of the kick most 350x motors light right up

other then that just kick like a man.....lol

longbedGTs
11-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Something was causing the cable to hold the decompression lever open resulting in backfires and sputtering. Its almost like it was too short. Also, yes, it was adjusted as far as it would go.

longbedGTs
11-08-2007, 09:52 PM
i find that if you tap the throtle right as the kicker is at the end of the kick most 350x motors light right up

other then that just kick like a man.....lol

I tried that and it works well. Also, I cheated by using a shot of starting fluid in the intake tract. Hey, it works so Ill run with it. I have no problems starting it when warm, atleast during the little test I just did. I shut it off after a minute of running, and kicked it over without starting fluid and it started just fine. Did that two times and it started fine both times.
Reading previous posts, I see the 350s are just cold natured engines so its good to know Im not alone. Thanks!

rally4x4racer
11-08-2007, 09:55 PM
i didn't realize you had this post here..

yea they are fun to start!!

SYKO
11-08-2007, 10:04 PM
OMG!! lmfao!! I just noticed your sig jason!! thats a riot!!

ATC-Eric
11-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Heck, wait till the thing has been ragged on for a while, then they are absoluted PIGS to start. That is once they are nice and hot.

My X still has no decompression lever. At TF during the poker run she died on me in a small creck. I tryed and tryed and tryed to start it, but just didnt have it in me. I even got others to try and start it too. They get stuborn when their covered in mud, and hot!

longbedGTs
11-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I think alot yesterday, had to do with the fact that I was already worn out since I have been starting an ailing machine all day. This morning, 40 degrees, I went out and fired it off no problem. Full choke, kick, No choke, kick, FIRE! I didnt touch the throttle at any point.
2nd kick in 40 deg weather it fired up easily, so Im learning what this thing likes and doesnt.

SYKO
11-09-2007, 10:00 AM
I cant believe how many people have a problem starting these things, even without a decompression cable not hooked up on jasons or not even having one on mine I can start them with relative ease! am I just that big of a gorilla? whats the dealieo!?

ATC-Eric
11-09-2007, 11:01 AM
I cant believe how many people have a problem starting these things, even without a decompression cable not hooked up on jasons or not even having one on mine I can start them with relative ease! am I just that big of a gorilla? whats the dealieo!?

I wouldnt have issues if I had a set of MX boots like you.

I ride in Hiking boots, or work boots. Both are a little soft, making it harder.

MX boots are on my list to buy for sure!

SWIGIN
11-09-2007, 11:23 AM
there is a nack to starting them..... some people have the nack and some dont

johnny's X
11-09-2007, 11:35 AM
This is my trick and it works everytime. I put my leg over seat, put feet on the pegs pull the kick starter out and put my foot on it and push it down with some muscle. seems to work everytime and I dont even think about what stroke the motor is on. Kick it like a man and it will start right up. If you cant start is you shouldnt ride it. Just like when my nephews ask to ride it I tell them you start it you can ride it. Good rule of thumb.

The Goat
11-09-2007, 12:15 PM
well look at it this way. no shortage of compression!

longbedGTs
11-09-2007, 01:17 PM
If you cant start is you shouldnt ride it.

I see it the same way. If I cant start it, I wont ride it until I can start it. :)
Though, if thats the case, then theres lots of people who shouldnt be riding their 350x. ie:Those with Goki kits. So where do you draw the line between who should and shouldnt ride something?

johnny's X
11-09-2007, 01:22 PM
if you cant start it dont ride it. You dont want to get out riding and have a hot machine thats a b*tch to start and have someone else have to start it for you. If one of my riding friends asked me to start there machine they would get left behind and I hope they would do the same to me

ceaserthethird
11-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Had same problem here , Tryed for days ... I Was So Shock at this BioTch - Thought i should just get rid of it and move on ...

Cleaned the Carb , New Plug , New Air Filter OEM , Adjust Valves , Set Idle & Air Screw !

Starts Second Kick .... every time !

rally4x4racer
11-09-2007, 02:07 PM
you think work boots are soft, you should try starting one in vans when it is in a bad mood. STONE BRUISE!! I wear my running shoes if I plan on riding the X.

Dirtcrasher
11-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Mine fires right up, I'm 200lbs but a good healthy kick is necessary.

If your cable didn't seem to adjust right, I'd take a look at the cam that goes on the kickstarter shaft. If it isn't assembled correctly, the cam is pulling on the cable before it's getting kicked over.