PDA

View Full Version : Hardfacing rocker arm question??

Dirtcrasher
11-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Why can I build a 200X or 250SX motor with a performance cam and OEM rocker arms but I have to send out my 350X rockers to be hardface welded when I drop in a cam??

I know that the weld they put on their cam is hard as hell and of course the stock rocker arm surface that rides on the cam would take a beating....

All 3 are 4 strokes, all 3 are OHC and all 3 can be and are ridden hard?

I'm about to build a HC piston and Webcam induced 350X motor and I have no problem paying for the hardfacing of the rocker arms but the only explanation I got was that a 350X is a hi performance motor.... I've seen 200X's rev to the moon and my 250SX wasn't treated much better :lol:

Does anyone know what's up?

thefox
11-05-2007, 09:55 PM
I thought webcam (or was it megacycles?) did the hardwelding for the 200x rockers as well?

NINJA
11-06-2007, 12:59 AM
The hardweld on the cam lobes, combined with the pressure exerted by the heavy duty springs will eventually tear up your rocker pads. The stock surfaces are only flash chromed i.e. coated twice. Anytime you run a really hairy cam the rocker pads should be hard welded or cryoed.

Dirtcrasher
11-06-2007, 05:11 PM
The hardweld on the cam lobes, combined with the pressure exerted by the heavy duty springs will eventually tear up your rocker pads. The stock surfaces are only flash chromed i.e. coated twice. Anytime you run a really hairy cam the rocker pads should be hard welded or cryoed.

I understand "why" it should be done.

I don't understand why they don't recommend it done on ALL rockers that ride on a hardfaced cam.

I just built a 200X with an agressive hardfaced cam and they claimed it wasn't necessary but it was with a 350X.

I wonder if it's that the 350X rockers work harder because they open 2 valves at the same time versus one valve at a time with the other machines? :idea: Hmmm, I'll bet thats it...

SWIGIN
11-06-2007, 05:14 PM
you might be right about each rocker opening 2 valves/springs on a 350x but i would still have it done on a 200x

NINJA
11-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Oh, I missed the point. That is interesting, but yeah, I'm with Swigin on this one. It should be done anyway IMO.

Nightbiker07
11-06-2007, 06:19 PM
yeah, id spend the money to have it done, rather than taking a chance at fixing it later.

Dirtcrasher
11-06-2007, 07:12 PM
I'M GONNA DO IT KNUCKLESQUASH!! and always planned on it.

I just wondered WHY they don't recommend it on any machine there aggresive cam fits in. Thats all.....

NINJA
11-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Heh heh heh