PDA

View Full Version : 250 SX Final drive help!!

Dirtcrasher
05-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Well just as I mentioned before, one of my SX's had let water into the differential through the rubber boot to the previous owner. Sounded ok and ran fine but the front bearing is shot. Gears are good though.
I got that dam nut off the pinion gear shaft - heating it cherry red! and got the case apart but that pinion shaft seems held in with a threaded connector that is stacked to the case inside. At least thats what it seems has to come apart before I can put in a a new pinion shaft bearing.

Not sure if this is covered in the Clymer but someone must've done this?? Any input?

Looks like 3 new bearings and seals are needed along with 3 axle bearings and 2 seals. All the EBAY rears are cooked, hard to find a good one.

Howdy
05-20-2003, 10:22 AM
There is 2 nuts you need to remove to get the pinion out. To do the rear end correctly you need a total of 4 bearings and 3 seals.
Howdy

Dirtcrasher
05-20-2003, 12:15 PM
2 nuts?? The front one came off and a splied connector came out. Cleaned up all I can see is a weird inner nut about 2.5" in diameter and it looks staked to the aluminum.
Yeah I think there's 3 seals and bearings in the diff then one side has 2 brngs and a seal and the other has one bearing and a seal, i think.

Looks like I need a special tool to get that whacco nut off??????

Howdy
05-20-2003, 02:44 PM
2 nuts?? The front one came off and a splied connector came out. Cleaned up all I can see is a weird inner nut about 2.5" in diameter and it looks staked to the aluminum.
Yeah I think there's 3 seals and bearings in the diff then one side has 2 brngs and a seal and the other has one bearing and a seal, i think.

Looks like I need a special tool to get that whacco nut off??????

Yes, That wacho nut is a pain it %$#.
Howdy

Dirtcrasher
05-20-2003, 03:39 PM
I didn't count it but it looks like a 20 some odd point metric inner allen type type or socket - you know spline better than us so I think you know what I mean.

Did you use the actual tool or something made up??

Thanks Howdy!

Howdy
05-20-2003, 07:33 PM
I didn't count it but it looks like a 20 some odd point metric inner allen type type or socket - you know spline better than us so I think you know what I mean.

Did you use the actual tool or something made up??

Thanks Howdy!

Yep that is it. The first time I had the dealer remove and install it. The other times I had a home made set up made out of a piece of Pipe, a socket and lot's of welding and grinding ( for the teeth ). It wasn't easy but it worked. I loaned it out 2 years ago and never got it back.

Howdy

Dirtcrasher
05-21-2003, 10:16 AM
Now I know where the 4th one is, it must be the opposite end of the pinion shaft in the ring gear housing area and I can't see it till I get this stupid nut off!! I bet I'll have to heat it up some.

Those kits on ebay didn't have the pinion bearings I don't believe- probably poor quality bearings too. Did you just hit up Service Honda on that Howdy??

Thanks

Howdy
05-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Now I know where the 4th one is, it must be the opposite end of the pinion shaft in the ring gear housing area and I can't see it till I get this stupid nut off!! I bet I'll have to heat it up some.

Those kits on ebay didn't have the pinion bearings I don't believe- probably poor quality bearings too. Did you just hit up Service Honda on that Howdy??

Thanks

Yes there is a needle bearing at the bottom of the pinion shaft. Replace it no matter what. If it goes bad and not replaced, the gears will be damaged. Gears $300 +

My motto there was this: Fix it right the first time with Quality parts ( Honda isn't a fly by night company ) and it should last a long time.

Why do I say this? Because it's a royal pain in the arse to change those bearing and seals in the differential. Honda knows how to build them so why settle for anything less? I don't feel this way on all parts mainly the hard to replace ones.

If you go the cheaper route and buy a Ebay kit ( I didn't know they made them ). You might save some money up front. But if the bearings aren't as good of quality and they go out again in say a year or so and you have to replace them again, did you really save anything? What if it damages the gears because of cheap bearings? If you saved a $100 on the bearings but ended up buying a new set of gears your gonna lose big timeif you know what I mean.

That's another 2 cents from me. ;)
Howdy

Dirtcrasher
05-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Couldn't agree with you any more! Unfortunately I wish it wasn't a needle bearing wish usually the shaft O.D. is the journal for the needles and this front bearing is cooked. So I'll bet that the pinion gear shaft is shot, I'll get it apart for a learning experience anyhow. Too bad now I've only got 4 good rear diffs! :twisted:

The inside hub splines are good as are the gears so maybe I'll just give this one a proper burial.

Howdy
05-21-2003, 07:24 PM
Couldn't agree with you any more! Unfortunately I wish it wasn't a needle bearing wish usually the shaft O.D. is the journal for the needles and this front bearing is cooked. So I'll bet that the pinion gear shaft is shot, I'll get it apart for a learning experience anyhow. Too bad now I've only got 4 good rear diffs! :twisted:

The inside hub splines are good as are the gears so maybe I'll just give this one a proper burial.

In a case like that you might check to see if you can get the shaft turned down on a lathe untils it good and a different sized bearing to fit. It still is cheaper than a new unit. lol
Howdy

Dirtcrasher
05-22-2003, 07:04 AM
Yep, but unfortunately when I lost my job I lost my Mill, lathe, plasma cutter, mig, surface grinder, etc. etc. etc. So now what use to take me ten minutes and free - someone wants 85$ an hour to machine :evil:

Thanks for the help.

Dirtcrasher
05-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Here's the kit link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35600&item=2415567900

Looks ok but I would rather open up a honda wrapper ;)

plkmonster2
05-22-2003, 05:43 PM
heating up the gears or the shaft could be bad. you could lose the temper. o dont have a 250sx, so i dont know exactly what yur heating up. btw, 85 an hour? my yammie shop is only 50, no matter the machine, or the job.