PDA

View Full Version : 250es filter mod

McDerry
11-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Well it seems of late everytime I can find a good price on a trike, tis missing its filter, and usually the bracket and everything else in the airbox.

Now one could stretch a newer honda element over the flange inside the box, but tis a big stretch, and without the frame theres no filter support to keep the foam filter from collapsing under heavy vacuum.

The answer, rigid framed automotive filter.

So took a measurement off the outside diameter of the flange inside the box, and some basic air box specs.

K&N Part Number RC-3180 (universal fit) with minor modifications will fit the airbox.

Tools needed for this mod:

Screwdriver

Hands

Cutting instrument (I used a hacksaw)

Soldering gun and solder

A Dime (nickel might work easier).

The automotive filter (found it online at a few places that sell volkswagen hop ups) has a nipple on the end of the filter. Most likely a vacuum line for the pcv system of the vehicle. We wont be using this piece, so I cut it off with a hacksaw real quick to about 1/8 long so to clear the box. You then solder the dime into the hole to fill it.

Then you collapse the outer most edges of the filter at its base to clear the taper of the box. A little hand pressure and push in on the ridges in the filter with your finger tips and it will snap into position.

Apply filter oil and attach filter with hose clamp to the flange in the airbox. Tighten with the screwdriver.

Hair Bear Bunch
11-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Hi, neat idea. Will the lid go back on? And, has it affected the mixture settings?
Thanks, Rob.

Bryan Raffa
11-03-2007, 08:51 AM
pop some 1" Uni vents in the lid!

McDerry
11-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Lid fits back on. Had to richen up the pilot screw a little to get the desirable idle.

Hair Bear Bunch
11-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Got to be worth a look then. How did it compare price wise against oem?

McDerry
11-03-2007, 07:37 PM
After shipping ran $46.34

OEM filter runs about $30

The bracket for the filter is $47.40 if its available.

So all in all about $16 dollars more then just a new element, or about $31 cheaper then buying a element and a new air element holder if yours is missing.