PDA

View Full Version : what paint to use for fenders??

deathman53
10-31-2007, 10:47 PM
I got a set of short track shrouds for a whole $20, they looked rough in the pictures. I opened them up today to find something like sprayed fiber glass on them, cracks and scratches. I want to fix there cracks, put a smooth serface on them and paint them black, anybody know what to use for that??? I was thinking of putting on that dino-liner stuff for truck beds, that should do the job in one step. Will this eat up the plastic??? These shrouds are too bad to try to get back to a shiney red. I guess for $20 including shipping, you get what you paid for, now to use them for something.

Nightbiker07
10-31-2007, 10:50 PM
well, rhino-liner will NOT be smooth. it will look something like alligator skin.
i dont believe it will harm the plastic.

deathman53
10-31-2007, 10:59 PM
I know that, both of my trucks have that liner. I want a durable black color that will also give the shrouds some kind of support. I have grip tape on my shrouds and tank anyway, so they aren't smooth anyway.

Kintore
10-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Alota my buddies on there plastics use Krylon Fusion paint Deathman, holds up really good and bends with the plastic. Im pretty sure there is flat black as well.

SYKO
10-31-2007, 11:10 PM
send them to me man, I'll hook you up I got some plastics that need to be painted and also some parts that need to be black as well.

Razgriz-Fighter
11-01-2007, 04:42 AM
Sand down the plastics with rough then to smooth sand paper (using water is better, but no water will still work) and once you have a desired smoothness, clean them up by washing them and drying them.

You could use either Krylon or Bedliner..whichever is up to you. The bedliner will obviously be quite a bit thicker than the Krylon, however as long as you got a good brand that holds up good...It should outlast the Krlyon. Or if you decide to just paint with Krlyon, it will hold up pretty good as well. My plastics were black for oh about a year, and all I used was Krylon, helped up pretty good actually. I had quite a few coats on the plastics, but still held up well. I also painted them again probably a month ago, so now they are silver...and I used Krylon again....

84honda200s
11-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Alota my buddies on there plastics use Krylon Fusion paint Deathman, holds up really good and bends with the plastic. Im pretty sure there is flat black as well.

that fusion paint is pretty durable for being spray paint. i used it on a pair of junk fenders to see how it holds and its doing good considering i didnt clean them too well.

now wouldnt bed liner weigh them down before it dries and hardens ? if they sag from the weight it would not look good and you could have trouble fitting them. but i dont know because ive never seen it done.

Nightbiker07
11-01-2007, 11:14 AM
nag that stuff isnt that heavy.

jeffatc250r
11-01-2007, 06:14 PM
I saw them shrouds on ebay, if were talking about the same ones. I would have bid on them but the fiberglass drove me away, i figured they were cracked. Out of curiosity are they?

deathman53
11-01-2007, 06:37 PM
yeah, the same ones. Under the fiberglass they are cracked, I'll see what I can do to fix them. They aren't very bad. My current shrouds are cracked more than those. It will be a really desperate day when I take my nos short track shrouds out of the box and put them on. They are worth the $20.

Dirtcrasher
11-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Can you fiberglass them a bit more then just resin and hardner a smooth top coat and let SYKO paint them for you? They'd be durable and have a great paint job.....

The Rhyno liner sounds good to me to, that stuff is tough!!

1upfront
11-01-2007, 07:44 PM
If all the pieces are there you could plastic weld them.