PDA

View Full Version : My '82 Atc 480r *** With Pics ***

Bigbore
10-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I know there was a few guys talking about doing a CR 480 swap into a '81- '82. Did anyone ever do one?

Bigbore
10-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Well I thought I would ask before I showed my project that I was working on.

I bought an '82 250R 6 months ago, from a guy in Las Vegas for $225, with the intent on turning it into a 480R. It's been sitting up on the top shelf of " The Rack" for a while now waiting for a '83 480 to come along.

JasonB
10-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Im planning one for after xmass. I've seen atleast one on this site too

Bigbore
10-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Well I bought a 480 on e-bay a month ago. It showed up last week. As soon as it did I got the '82 R down and yanked the motor. Set in the 480 and went to work engineering the motor mounts. The motor fits in perfectly. The 480 is a little taller but the cases have a smaller foot print than the 250 motor and has more room in the frame than the 250 does because it doesn't have a counter-balancer.

My assistant: This is my "just turned" 6 year old. He thinks we're working on this for him. He makes time go by fast and asks a million questions.

Bryan Raffa
10-28-2007, 11:29 AM
thats awesome! love your shop! check and see if you can still get the plug out.. I had to make this because of the down tube.. A regular socket wouldnt fit around the fins..might not be a problem on the honda.. I can see the 480 is taller.. thats gonna be one wild ride!

Huffa
10-28-2007, 11:45 AM
That's going to be one heck of a wild ride! Really nice man.

What's the blue and white one on top ? Any close up shots of that ?

Great shelf collection buddy ! All your machines look fantastic !

Don't tell me you have more then one shelf ?!!!!!

1upfront
10-28-2007, 11:48 AM
That's going to be one heck of a wild ride! Really nice man.

What's the blue and white one on top ? Any close up shots of that ?

Great shelf collection buddy ! All your machines look fantastic !

Don't tell me you have more then one shelf ?!!!!!

It's a calvin franks that and the four wheeler both.

Bigbore
10-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Took a couple days to get the mounts exactly the way I wanted them. I made 8 different sets of rears and 12 different sets of fronts before everything fell together. The nice thing is having a CNC plasma cutter. I couldn't imagine making these by hand!

The spark plug will come out with a plug scocket. The oil drain plug is set perfect to get to and the motor sits .150" above the frame rail.

Bigbore
10-28-2007, 12:01 PM
I machined the aluminum spacers for all three mounts. I used a Sprocket Laser to align the sprockets so the dimensions for the spacers would come out perfect. The front motor mount bolt won’t pass through because of the frame rails so I had to make a double-ended bolt for the front mount ( threaded on both ends / smooth in the middle).

I've got another set of shelves coming that same size. I have a few more machines to put up. Right now their on the roof of the office and on benches around the shop.

Anyway here's more on the build....

Black86tri-z
10-28-2007, 12:06 PM
1 question not to be takin in a negitive way,with all those nastey and bad ass trikes you got why would u mess around with junk?yard beater?bored?

Bigbore
10-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Once the mounts were right it only takes 20 minutes to put the 480 in and bolt everything together.

Now its time to tear it down. The frame and other stuff to powder coating. The motor gets torn down and rebuilt. I pipe is also in the works. In a week or so I'll post more phot's on the progress.

If anyone is intrested in doing a 480 conversion on a '81 or '82 250R let me know. I'm putting together a conversion kit with all of the hardware (motor mounts, bolts and spacers). The kit will be $180 and should save someone a lot of time and fustration.

Old 179
10-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Good ole "Old School" Thumbs up!!!!

Bigbore
10-28-2007, 12:25 PM
1 question not to be takin in a negitive way,with all those nastey and bad ass trikes you got why would u mess around with junk?yard beater?bored?

Nothing take negitive. I like junk and turning it into something. My Cagiva was a basket case and according to my wife " I shouldn't have wasted the money on that pice of crap". Glad I didn't listen to her.

I'll have $2,300 into to this ride when it's done, including the West Coast swinger, paint, plastic, rims & tires, shocks etc. Thats less than a '85 R is in less than OK shape. Alot faster too. When it's done it'll be another "bad ass trike". Let me know what you think when its done.

Best of all I love doing it.

hondaracer11
10-28-2007, 12:36 PM
thats really cool are you gonna keep the same color scheme or are you gonna do something els

thefox
10-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Are you still use the kick starter?

steven 250sx
10-28-2007, 01:29 PM
sweet shop and sweet idea

dizasterzrfun69
10-28-2007, 01:35 PM
If anyone is intrested in doing a 480 conversion on a '81 or '82 250R let me know. I'm putting together a conversion kit with all of the hardware (motor mounts, bolts and spacers). The kit will be $180 and should save someone a lot of time and fustration.

how about 83-84 R's?

GoodKarma
10-28-2007, 04:14 PM
VERY nice work! I'm happy to see someone jumping out there and doing this, because I have been collecting parts to do one myself on an 83-84 frame.

That's also a cool idea to share the experience and offer a kit for other people that can save them a lot of time!!!:w00t: :beer

Keep us updated! I think the cool factor of this whole 480R is that it's almost a "sleeper" that most people wouldn't even know.

Dirtcrasher
10-28-2007, 06:00 PM
I think FOX asked about your kicker because if it kicks rearward, it doesn't look like it's gonna work...

Bigbore
10-28-2007, 06:02 PM
The color scheme will be; Red frame, red plastic and red tank (just like stock). The seat will be black. The motor... Maybe a bead blasted aluminum with a clear coat, maybe red:wondering . The swingers already done...its white. Going to get stock looking tank decals for it except to say 480.

It's still going to be a kick starter. The kicker get heated up and bent just a little to clear the frame. It is a rearward kicker and does work.

'83 - '84R's... I've got my '84 black and silver R, but I really don't want to tear into it to make mounts. Maybe I will, the 250 is due for a new set of rings anyway. Wouldn't be for a while, this one took a few days to work out.

Thanks for the compliments

Bigbore
10-28-2007, 06:18 PM
I wish I could take all of the credit for coming up with it but Wax had one in '82 that ran in the open class.

But... I was re-reading one of my 3 Wheeling Magazines I came across this one. I must have seen this 50 times and never really read it. The only difference is that the one in the article is a CR450. The problem with the aritcle is that they didn't show enough to be useful other than it did work and someone had done it before. "They" said it could be done in an afternoon... BS! The rear mount "needed to be cut and reworked", try throw it away and start over.

mike from long island
10-28-2007, 06:57 PM
You are having an exhaust head pipe made?? What about those awesome big bore pipes?? This is a very interesting thread.I will follow your progress.I might give up on trying to get a 300r kit together.I could probably sell off what I have and find a good running 480 motor.HMMMMMMM??? :D

cr480r
10-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Nice project!!! I would love to build one of these... The problem is I like the bike too much... Keep up the great work... I cant wait to see the finished product:)

BigGreenMachine
10-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Great thread! Nice rack! ha!

Cannot wait to see the finished trike.

Orangecnty250r
10-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Thats a great project ...Nice work!!!!!!

factoryX
10-28-2007, 09:55 PM
whats all in that shop pic? espeically the the blue quad...

Bigbore
10-29-2007, 08:58 AM
whats all in that shop pic? espeically the the blue quad...

Blue quad is a Frank's, There are a lot of trick things about that quad. FAST TOO! Possibly for sale soon.

Blue and white three wheeler, also a Franks.

The one that looks like a 350X, is a Nicholson 500X.

BigGreenMachine
10-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Stick with stock colours, what a sleeper. Take it to the dunes, you simply have to!

steven 250sx
10-29-2007, 10:55 AM
i agree keep it as a sleeper

cr480r
10-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Sleeper X3...

Chevy200s
10-29-2007, 03:46 PM
great project man, I'm glad to see someone actually getting it done, I started doing this about a year ago and just ran out of time and money. I hope to get back to mine soon, but it wont be done nearly at the rate your going.

Can you post some pics of the modified kick starter? I realize my 83 R is a different frame but I would still like to see how much it took to make yours work. Also, if you could post some pics of the shifter that would be great. Seeing this pictures is inspiration to get back to work on mine, hope to start doing that soon.

Great project, and your making great time doing it too, keep us updated and as always, more pics!

toocheaptosmoke
10-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Sweet project man!:beer

edog
10-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Nothing take negitive. I like junk and turning it into something. My Cagiva was a basket case and according to my wife " I shouldn't have wasted the money on that pice of crap". Glad I didn't listen to her.

I'll have $2,300 into to this ride when it's done, including the West Coast swinger, paint, plastic, rims & tires, shocks etc. Thats less than a '85 R is in less than OK shape. Alot faster too. When it's done it'll be another "bad ass trike". Let me know what you think when its done.

Best of all I love doing it.

Very nice conversion.I hope you will be addressing the suspension with all this new found horsepower?

Bigbore
10-29-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm glad that it's an inspiration for some. I know how it is to get stuck in a rut.

I tore the bike down last night and it went to Powder coating today. I'll get some photos of the Kick starter as soon as I can get it back and start putting it back together.

Suspension: Progressive Suspension springs and valve kit for the front (bought these 4 years ago). New Fox Podium for the back.

Bigbore
11-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Was going to order the DG CR 480 Pipe to day and check fitment. Seeing if the CR pipe would work and how much I'd have to modify it. Glad I didn't!

I was cleaning up around the bench and saw the exhaust flange for the CR... I still have a couple of pipes for the Mugen around... One of the pipes doesn't have the reducer bushing in it... Went over to see what mods would be needed to make the Mugen pipe fit. The exhaust flange fits PERFECTLY! I about pissed my pants.

Now I need to wait for everything to get back from powder coating to see how the exhaust fits with the motor bolted in. I'm thinking it'll only be a few pipe brackets and it should fit.

hondaracer11
11-01-2007, 10:10 PM
is that 500x the one that was on ebay awhile ago

Bigbore
11-01-2007, 10:19 PM
is that 500x the one that was on ebay awhile ago

Well... There's been 2 in the last year. I've had been looking for one for years and found the perfect one. Couldn't pass it up even though it was for $4,500.

Trikeaholic
11-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Anyone interested in my CR450 motor? no electrics though, cheap!

GoodKarma
11-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Woooohoooo, the Mugen pipe might fit! I bought a new one a few months ago for 50 bucks, and was just thinking yesterday that I should see if it would fit the 480R motor. Man, you are a great help! Keep us posted on the progress, so we can all enjoy!:w00t:

freaksfix
11-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Anyone interested in my CR450 motor? no electrics though, cheap!

i might be...

DixiePlowboy
11-06-2007, 10:52 PM
I just bought an '82 CR 480 today with every intention of just riding it. Now I'm imagining that motor in an '83-'84 R frame.

Bigbore
11-07-2007, 10:14 AM
It sounds like most of you are wanting Gen2 - 480R's. If I spent the time to work on the motor mounts and spacers for a '83 - '84, how many would actually buy a set of mounts?

I could use my '83 for a mock-up but since I don't want a 480 in my '83 I wouldn't be able to take the kit the distance. I wouldn't be doing anything with the pipe and you may need to come up with something with the kick starter (I wouldn't know until the motor is in the frame).

Chevy200s
11-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I would probably buy a set of the mounts if you made them, and I wouldnt need to worry about the pipe I've got something started for that already. As far as the kick start, I'm not sure if you could get away with bending it, maybe bend it and lengthen it, and even then I would try and find a way to support it or brace it. Heres a picture of my 480 motor just sitting in the frame back when I was working on this if it helps. The shifter lever is broken here but you can see it wouldnt clear the frame as it is, that could probably be modified to work pretty easily though

http://photos-760.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v63/24/7/43002760/n43002760_30639709_5394.jpg
http://photos-760.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v63/24/7/43002760/n43002760_30639710_6110.jpg

Any new progress on your project man? Definitly looking forward to seeing how yours comes out

Bigbore
11-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Going to the powder coaters todayto get the frame, mounts, and other small stuff.

Just bought a "like new" pair of front forks on e-bay for $15. When those come in I'll have the bottoms powdered red. Taking in the stuff that gets powdered black at the end of the week. Swingarm, steering, axle and wheel bearings should be in later this week.

I had the tank to my '81 Mugen 360 painted 4 months ago, I'll use it for the 480 since the Mugen won't be ready to go until after this one is done.

JethrowMan
11-19-2007, 02:37 AM
hey man! i dont want to be a pest but... i need to see more!!

350xrider911
11-19-2007, 05:12 AM
what is a 500x

cr480r
11-19-2007, 06:14 AM
As far as the kick start, I'm not sure if you could get away with bending it, maybe bend it and lengthen it, and even then I would try and find a way to support it or brace it.

A simple shaft extension and a bearing to support it would fix this problem... guys do it all the time on CR500 and 4-stroke hybrid quads...

I just bought an '82 CR 480 today with every intention of just riding it. Now I'm imagining that motor in an '83-'84 R frame.

I can already imagine seeing a 250R with a broken off subframe... lol... My 480 has scraped its rear fender a couple times... the power is actually pretty mellow, but the flywheel is kinda light...
be careful...lol...

Bigbore
11-19-2007, 10:51 AM
"hey man! i dont want to be a pest but... i need to see more!!"

My powder coaters been asleep at the wheel. Said he was waiting on some fire department stuff to come in and he'd run them all together. He "didn't think I was in a hurry", WHAT! I wanted them 2 days before I took them in!
I get to go pick them up today. Got my bearings in.

"what is a 500x"

A wild guy, Nick Nicholson, built custom frames in the early 80's. He built some of the first suspended frames for; Curtis Sparks' 185S, Marty Hart, Wax and others. He built a frame to hold a XR500 and using some 200X components. The frame was stretched out a little and made for a perfect desert racer. The one I have, has been in a time capsule of sorts since '84. It has a built 500, punched out to a 580cc and ported. The motor has around $4,200 of work (that’s '84 dollars) in it, with receipts. I bought it from the original owner.

It's a wild ride... Pulls hard, yet rides so smooth.

Bigbore
11-19-2007, 11:01 AM
A simple shaft extension and a bearing to support it would fix this problem... guys do it all the time on CR500 and 4-stroke hybrid quads...

Got any photo's? I know what your talking about. The extension would need to be EDM'd for the splines, both on the motor side and the kicker side.

I have been looking at it for a week now, I can make a support bracket that would come off of the swingarm bolt to brace the kicker, but the kicker would stick out from the motor 3" farther than stock.:wondering

1bad450r
12-24-2007, 04:16 PM

My powder coaters been asleep at the wheel. Said he was waiting on some fire department stuff to come in and he'd run them all together. He "didn't think I was in a hurry", WHAT! I wanted them 2 days before I took them in!

"what is a 500x"

A wild guy, Nick Nicholson, built custom frames in the early 80's. He built some of the first suspended frames for; Curtis Sparks' 185S, Marty Hart, Wax and others. He built a frame to hold a XR500 and using some 200X components. The frame was stretched out a little and made for a perfect desert racer. The one I have, has been in a time capsule of sorts since '84. It has a built 500, punched out to a 580cc and ported. The motor has around $4,200 of work (that’s '84 dollars) in it, with receipts. I bought it from the original owner.

:drool: :drool: :drool: nice

NINJA
12-25-2007, 03:26 PM
I almost forgot about this thread. Sooooo, any progress yet? Let's see some new pics.

bigpimpin
12-25-2007, 07:10 PM

"what is a 500x"

super trick swing arm. who made that?

Bigbore
12-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Got a few hours yesterday to play with the '82 480R. I started doing some post powder coat assembly.

The nicely powder coated white Westcoast Swinger has all new swingarm pivot and axle bearings and seals in it.

The axle is in. Man is it nice! I'm waiting for the paint to oven cure for the brake disk hub. Once it's dry then I can tighten the axle up. I got a new set of TRX 450R rear hubs for the back.

The shock is in. It's a new Fox Podium.

The steering neck has new All-Balls roller bearings in it.

I turned a new "Stainless Steel" swingarm pivot bolt for the '82. No more rusted sticking in and need to cut out swingarm bolts. What do you think? I'm going to start a small production run and sell them. If anyone needs or wants on let me know. They're going to be $79 w/ a new lock nut.

The foot pegs and PRM grab bar are bolted on.

Here's a shot of the 480R conversion motor mounts freshly powder coated red.

I just ordered new rubbers for the tank and rear fenders, a rebuild kit for the rear master cylinder and a rear brake reservoir.

I got the new rims and tires in the day before Christmas. The rears are Bandit AT with 9" rims with a 3+5 offset, 4 on 110mm.

There is a problem... nobody has an 8" or a 9" rim anymore with a 4+4 offset, and the front hub is a 4 on 130. I've got the problem solved. I bought a Track Star 20"x10"x9". The rim is a 9" and has a 3+5 offset. I'm going to make a new front hub assembly. I picked up the aluminum to turn a new hub, hub shaft, and disk brake holder. I should have it done and welded up by Sunday.

maggiesboy
12-28-2007, 12:50 PM
sweet project, keep the pictures and update coming. :D

cr480r
12-28-2007, 07:00 PM
There is a problem... nobody has an 8" or a 9" rim anymore with a 4+4 offset, and the front hub is a 4 on 130.

Douglas wheel will make them... Althought it sounds like you already have a solution of your own

Bigbore
01-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Just an update.

After ordering a rebuild kit for the rear caliper and master cylinder and ordering a new rear brake reservoir, I got an e-mail saying that the rebuild kits for the rear master cylinders as well as the other stuff has been discontinued.

SO... I upgraded! I just ordered a Gremeca rear caliper 1055 rear caliper, rear brake master cylinder/ reservoir and a 1019 front brake master cylinder/ reservoir. As soon as they're here, I start building brackets for them.

I thought I would have the new billet aluminum front spindle/front hub assembly done on Sunday, and I could have, but I'm not done yet. I started playing with my EZ Path lathe and decided that instead of making one manually that I'd just write a program for it so I could make more if I wanted to. 5 days later I'm almost done. It's been 4 years since I've had the lathe fired up and forgot a lot about the programming. I need to pick up some more material for the spindles and disk brake hub. It'll now support the 5+3 offset rim with a 4 on 110mm.

Brockey
01-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Sweet, what would one of those bad boys cost? Like to have one in the future so I can replace from front wheel and have it nice looking.

Bryan Raffa
01-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Right ON BIG BORE !!!!!!! super stoked! 4 years..wow I would pay someone to stand there and make trike parts all day long..:naughty: nice investment..

SYKO
01-03-2008, 01:24 PM
HEY bigs can you show us what that caliper looks like?? I just recenty got a master cylinder rebuild kit for my 83 250r

Dirtcrasher
01-03-2008, 08:47 PM
OMG I'd kill for that LATHE!!!!!

Nice project, looking great!!

Isn't the 83 rear caliper the same piston as the 84 and 85 and 86/87 calipers?? I didn't know they were discontinued? I was buying those kits aftermarket...

Bigbore
01-03-2008, 10:52 PM
HEY bigs can you show us what that caliper looks like?? I just recenty got a master cylinder rebuild kit for my 83 250r

The caliper was the least concern of the 3 parts. The '82 caliper looks just like the '83. Rebuild kits are still available for the '83's. The '82 uses a longer threaded shaft and one of the seals on the inside is different. The part of the threaded shaft that in inside of the rubber boot, where the shaft has the round disk on it was badly rusted. I cleaned the rust off which left a pitted shaft that would leak. I thought about using a master cylinder from an '83 but it just didn't make $$$ sense after finding out that the '82 reservoir was out of production also. The '83 reservoir just doesn't look right on the '82.

The Gremeca master cylinder and reservoir are one piece and were only $109. I can cut out a small bracket and weld it to the brake lever, make a small bracket for the master cylinder to bolt onto the frame and I've got a new and upgraded assembly. The rear caliper is a twin piston double acting caliper, not like the stocker that has a single piston and single acting floater.

I'll get some shots of the work in progress

Bigbore
02-19-2008, 09:22 PM
It's been 6 weeks! And I've barely gotten anywhere.

The brake parts came in. I bought a Grimeca rear master cylinders/ brake reservoir and a few calipers. I'll get the master cylinder bolted up, make a linkage rod, and rework the brake lever tomorrow. It'll have Grimeca masters and calipers front and rear.

The CR 480 is bolted in with one of the production kits, fits perfectly. The bad news... The Mugen 360 pipe won't work. The pipe rests where the head is and the head is way too big. I'll order a DG CR480 pipe tomorrow and see what can be done. If it won't work with mods, then I'll need to have a pipe made. The Mugen 360 kit I have has a "tank raiser" so the pipe will work using the 360 kit. I might have to look at that.

Does anyone know who can build a custom pipe patterned after a standard styled "high" pipe?

The motor comes out tomorrow and is getting a complete teardown.

The '82 came with a leftover '81 front end. The front forks were only 30mm. I bought a newer set of '82 forks and triple but after looking at every thing I decided on something else. I bought a set of '83 YZ 80 front forks, 33mm. I'll put them into the stock '82 triples.

iowarotax
02-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Looks like your using the same rear brake setup as the Tigers. Does your Franks have a similar setup? Project is looking great! Nice Husky in the back.

BigGreenMachine
02-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Very nice work. Always liked the early R.

EDIT* Your shop makes me jealous!

cr480r
02-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I hope you like wheelies... that thing is going to be dangerous...

Bigbore
02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Looks like your using the same rear brake setup as the Tigers. Does your Franks have a similar setup? Project is looking great! Nice Husky in the back.

Hey if it's good for a Tiger, it's good for me. The Franks is almost identical to the Tiger.

I forgot the Husky was there when I took the photo. It's for another project...:naughty: It’s a '85 Husky CR500 soon to get a third leg! I found it shortly after seeing a photo of Tricky Dick's Husky CR250 3 years ago and thought it would be cool to do something similar, just with a little more HP.

Thanks

iowarotax
02-20-2008, 06:40 PM
A Husky 500 would be pretty cool! I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a Husky 430. Tiger used them in one of there rides. Heres a pic, you have probably seen it before.

Bigbore
02-20-2008, 11:23 PM
I haven't seen that photo before, looks cool! I bet that 400 run nice in the Tiger. What year is the motor? Is it an XC 430?

The Husky CR500 has almost crazy hp. It run a lot harder than a KX500 but smoother.

Bigbore
02-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Before I order a CR 480 pipe I thought I would cut one of the Mugen pipes and play around with it.

I cut it just after it goes vertical, just in front of where the shifter would point to. Put the exhaust flange piece on the motor and played with the placement of the rest of the pipe. There is a 1.5" gap in the two sections of pipe that I'll need to fab a new section of pipe and weld it back together. I think the pipe will work fine. I'll need to make some new brackets. The kick starter also had to be reworked so it would not go in towards the motor as much, it was hitting the pipe.

Pic's tomorrow.

iowarotax
02-21-2008, 12:31 AM
I think I was wrong! I think the engine in that Tiger was out of 1985 or 86 WR400.Most of the 430s were air cooled. A few of the liquids were the auto shift. Some of the earlier Husky 3 wheelers were the 430 air cooled. Im not sure the year on that pic.

Bigbore
02-24-2008, 09:53 PM
OK. A little progress.

Photo of the modified kicker.

Photo of the before and after rear brake lever.

Photos of a new rear disk I machined for the rear of the '82R, since the aren't any new replacements. There's no offset to this one since I was going to do away with the OEM rear caliper. Now after doing all of that work I was thing that the rear axle is interchangeable with the 200X right?! So I went through some parts and the 200X rear brake hub, the '83 250R rear brake hub and the '82 R rear brake hub all interchange on the axle spines. There are a couple of differences; The '82R uses a 8.2" offset disk on a larger bolt hole diameter and it is offset away from the bearing carrier .815" The '83R and the 200X use a straight 8" disk and the hub is only offset .580". I did some measuring and I think if I use the '83R or the 200X disk and hub that I might be able to bring the disk into the same alignment as the stock '82 disk! It might need to be spaced.

I know... WHAT! Since the '82 rear hub can't be had, someone can change out the '82 brake hub and disk for an '83R or the 200X and have still available disks.

I'll get some more done soon.

Bigbore
02-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Here's some more photo's...

cr480r
02-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Lookin good!!! Way overkill on the brake calipers though... Is the kicker all the way tucked in in the photo?

Bigbore
02-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Lookin good!!! Way overkill on the brake calipers though... Is the kicker all the way tucked in in the photo?

Some people ask "why"... because you can.

In the photo from the front, Yes the kicker is in all of the way. With the pipe mounted it actually sits in from the outside edge of the pipe.

xerkie
02-28-2008, 07:37 PM
I posted this in another thread but....Does anyone know if the 82 cr 480 electronics while work for the 83 480's...Having trouble finding an 83 coil, but I'm seeing them for the 82's. And if so, will the 82 coil work with the 82 CDI or should I use electronics for the same years? I know this is a 3wheeler forum, but as soon as Bigbore is manufacturing the mounts I'm putting in the beast....

cr480r
02-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know if the 82 cr 480 electronics while work for the 83 480's.......

The ignitions will interchange.. I have an '82 system on my '83.. the connector plugs are different between '82- and '83 though... so you must cut and splice, or use the same year cdi and stator... the coils should interchange just fine... I am using a coil from an '83 CR125

Bigbore
03-17-2008, 10:22 PM
I had 2 hours to work on my project...

Worked on boring out the '82 250R triples. For some reason they were only 30 mm's instead of being 33 mm's. Maybe they were '81 left over’s. Anyway, their bored! I have a set of '82 R 33 mm forks and a set of '89 YZ 80 33 mm forks. I need to play with them and see which ones I like better. The YZ's forks are softer and would need to have a spring kit installed.

They came out perfect. I've blasted them and their ready for either nickel plating or powder coated aluminum... Not sure which yet?

Anybody that would want triples bored let me know... $40 (top and bottoms) plus the cost to ship back.

Bryan Raffa
03-18-2008, 06:54 AM
Anybody that would want triples bored let me know... $40 (top and bottoms) and shipping both ways.

thats great!!!:idea: :p

honda250sx
03-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Bravo bigbore. Very nice work.

JethrowMan
03-22-2008, 08:39 PM
hey bigbore any progress with the pipe? i just shaved a little off some of the cooling fins of the head and the mugen pipe fit preaty good. i dont know if the shifter will work with it yet though. but keep up the great work! oh and what is the lenght of your rear shock from center to center?

Bigbore
03-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Post up some pics. This isn't just a thread about me doing a 480 it's about everyone that is doing a 480. I'm just helping out.

The rear shock is 15 1/2" eye to eye.

Black86tri-z
03-29-2008, 05:27 PM
http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/623046946.html

Bigbore
08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Pipe is done. I cut it and it need to be space .450" and rewelded. The spacer is lap welded on the bottom and butt welded on the upper splice. Funny... my weld suck as much as the stock Mugen welds, the weld right above my upper is their's.

The tank fits with no mod's or needing to be raised. I did have to shave the upper 2 fins on the head a little.

cr480r
08-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Nice work! I am curious of why the .450" was added to the pipe?

Bigbore
08-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Nice work! I am curious of why the .450" was added to the pipe?

The pipe wouldn't fit any other way. I tried a stock pipe and the larger section of the pipe sat too low and wouldn't clear the frame and was too close to the cylinder fins. So I added the .450", it raised it up and gave me the clearance I needed. If I added any more then the tank would need to be raised and that leads into other issues. This was the easiest way to do it.
Now this mod with work with the Mugen pipes. If you have any other pipe, then you'll need to change the exhaust manifold flange on the pipe to match the dia. of the 480. I wonder if the exhaust flange would change out with the 250? It would really restrict the flow though.

A stock CR pipe won't fit either. It sits in towards the centerline of the frame almost 1.5" closer than the ATC pipe.

atctim
08-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Nice Work!!!!!!!!!:drool:

JethrowMan
08-30-2008, 12:47 PM
nice work bigbore! what kind of carb is that lying on your bench in that first picture. looks nice

82 250r
08-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Any update to this project?

Bigbore
08-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Well... It's almost been a year! Where does time go?

The 480 is almost done. The only thing I have left is the polish (decals, the finished pipe and thats it.

I got the motor back in February; fresh bore, new piston, ported by Flowtec, decompression release installed, new Kevlar clutch. I bought a Mosberger high flow 8 petal reed cage and intake and 39mm PWK Air Striker carb.

I rode it in late may AND IT RIPS!!!!!!!!! Even with a +3" the front end won't stay on the ground:w00t:

I'm waiting on Harlan to make the tank decals and just sent the pipe I made to CPI to have them make a new tuned pipe.

I'll post up a full photo spread on the build as soon as I can get the pipe on and the decals.

Bryan Raffa
08-06-2009, 08:11 AM
very nice bigbore.. I have been waiting year.. cant wait!!!!!! CPI will be a nice touch.:naughty:

Saul
08-06-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm tearing my hair out waiting to see the finished product. Kudo's Mario!

82 250r
08-20-2009, 12:00 AM
and just sent the pipe I made to CPI to have them make a new tuned pipe.

I hate to be ignorant but what does it mean to make a new tuned pipe and what does it do?

Thanks
Marc

Bigbore
08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
The pipe I made to fit the 480 is fine but was designed ffor the flow of the Mugen 360 kit, for the 250R.

The new pipe would be designed and tuned for the flow rate of the 480, plus getting the power curve dialed in for mid to top end. The end pipe also needs to be increased to 1.250" up from 1" for the larger diameter silencer.

JethrowMan
08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
so are they making just the one for you or could they make a couple more? i use the completely unchanged 360 pipe and it scares the crap out of me! but i would love one specific for the 480 motor!

JasonB
08-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Pictars!!!

Bigbore
08-25-2009, 11:13 PM
so are they making just the one for you or could they make a couple more? i use the completely unchanged 360 pipe and it scares the crap out of me! but i would love one specific for the 480 motor!

I'm going to get 3 of the 480 pipes made. It's the only way to get the price close to reasonable.

JethrowMan
08-28-2009, 10:42 AM
let me know when you get them! and do they make specific silencer for there pipe?

FLOTEK
08-28-2009, 01:40 PM
I got the motor back in February; fresh bore, new piston, ported by Flowtec, decompression release installed, new Kevlar clutch. I bought a Mosberger high flow 8 petal reed cage and intake and 39mm PWK Air Striker carb.

I rode it in late may AND IT RIPS!!!!!!!!! Even with a +3" the front end won't stay on the ground:w00t:

cool ,im glad to have had a small part in your badass project ,looks like youve done a great job bro

trikerooster
10-13-2009, 10:34 AM
It's cool until you fly off the trail and crash. The power to weight ratio is retarded!
Those front shocks are too small. I had to change my 82' front end because it was too small(85'). The front end was pointing down.

Bigbore
10-13-2009, 06:43 PM
It's cool until you fly off the trail and crash. The power to weight ratio is retarded!
Those front shocks are too small. I had to change my 82' front end because it was too small(85'). The front end was pointing down.

:wondering ?????? Who Crashes???

Power to weight ratio.... Yea! Equal to a Formula 1.

I guess 185S would work nice for you.... but some of us can handle a little more.

This is going to be my bare tire ice racer this year.:lol:

Front shocks too small???? Their 33mm forks from a 200X, thats a 3mm upgrade from the '82 R and with another 2.5" of travel. Some of the cool things done... Terrycable 200X front fork guide rods and cones, Progressive springs, equal air cross over and newly machined aluminum fork caps. No oem replacement on the fork caps...anywhere. So I made some.

Why was your front end pointing down? or was the ass end up too high? '85 forks on an '82.... the rake has got to be unreal on it now(OCC :rolleyes: ).

fabiodriven
10-13-2009, 06:46 PM

If you can't handle the power then stay on your 250. This guys got a legit bad-ass build and there's no reason to try and crap on it.

JethrowMan
10-25-2009, 05:19 PM
hey bigbore! any new updates on the pipe?

seadoo650
10-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Please keep the name calling outta here. If you guys can't debate nicely then don't debate at all!

Billy Golightly
10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the best displays I've seen in recent times in how to get a perma-ban.

seadoo650
10-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Trikerooster just got banned! Anyone else? This bickering and seriously crapping on Bigbores thread is just plain disrespectful.

Bryan Raffa
10-26-2009, 08:50 PM
and now that I took 20 min out of my night to clean this thred up for bigbore..anyone that post anything that dont pertain to his build..I will ban..Pure childness,

Bigbore any updates?

Bigbore
10-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Someone was talking about the weight... The 480 motor is lighter than the stock 250 motor and double the hp. Torque is what makes a real trail bike as well as going fast. If he thinks that a 250 would run as fast... put up or shut up.

Thanks for the rest of the support guys.....

UPDATE:

Pipe's are in the works. ETA on the 3 pipes is the first week of december. Anyone else want one later, call CPI, by mid november not before, and ask them for the '82 ATC 480R pipe. The tank "480" decals are done. I had 20 sets made. Sprocket Specialties finally sent the red anodized rear sprockets. Cables are done and need to be put on.

MonroeMike
10-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Very nice build.

fabiodriven
10-26-2009, 09:23 PM
That is awesome that the 480 motor is actually lighter. It's win-win. I'm guessing that has to do with the 480 not having a counter balance?

Bigbore
10-26-2009, 11:43 PM
That is awesome that the 480 motor is actually lighter. It's win-win. I'm guessing that has to do with the 480 not having a counter balance?

:idea: :idea: :naughty:

Bunnyhop
10-26-2009, 11:53 PM
That is very cool. Sorry for littering in your thread, I was hoping to get that other guy banned:lol: Didn't realize that was "trolling or baiting". Nonetheless, a very cool build indeed, I've been following every step of the way. Heck, it's why I finally signed on to the forums. So, THANKYOU! I cannot wait to seeit all done and hopefully some vids?:drool:

motoman1012002
07-05-2010, 06:25 AM
how is this project comin along

troybilt
10-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Just finished reading all 8 pages of this build very sick build! Wondering if you've made anymore progress? I've been planning a similar build for my near future. Just got a few other projects to button up, first. ....btw, nice collection too!!

Thanks! Troy

teddcmiller
10-26-2010, 07:31 PM
That is one sweet trike! I bet she flys!! Awesome man hope to see more of your mods!

mullet
11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Please post some pics of your finished trike!! I just read all 8 pages and kept thinking..1 more page, and I'll get to see the finished bike.. What a tease! Awesome build man!! I am so impressed by your skills and your shop!

CanadianThomas
11-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Well, I'm new here and must say this is truly amazing. Your work on this Trike is nothing short of awesome! I have subscribed to this thread and am eagerly awaiting more updates and pic's. You are a God among men.

j@y
11-10-2010, 05:20 PM
dont know if this is allowed but here are some pics of the 480r from airfoolers.com

http://airfoolers.com/forum/index.php?topic=2079.0

willreed03
01-27-2011, 05:25 PM
awww I thought it was a new site for the foolers...but it's my fav site :D

How come it says air cooled 250rs instead of airfoolers?

And bigbore...I think I've said this before at AF but man your bike is just...I dunno...perfect is about the only word I have to describe it :D

**edit
When I typed a1rf00lers before the forum changed it automatically...weird

Klondike1020
01-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Where are the pics of the finished trike? ..... are they in a different thread?

edog
01-28-2011, 10:02 AM
**edit
When I typed a1rf00lers before the forum changed it automatically...weird

It's because of a guy that usder to be on here...His name was S a u l

ama009
01-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Awesome build!!! I read through the thread, and unless i missed it, how do you get the bikes of the top shelf?! or back up there for that matter. LOL I am assuming you have a forklift? If not what?

Darius1502
05-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Any final pics of this beast?

Darius1502
05-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Whoops...I found one:

christph
05-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Wow, what a build! Thanks for the inspiration. I have a nice 82R that I was going to leave a 250. After reading this, however, the wheels are turning.

Taiser
05-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Indeed...quite a wicked build. Any video of it zipping about? That would be wicked to see and hear! :)