PDA

View Full Version : broken exhaust stud and epoxy..

super90
10-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Ive been riding my trike with only 1 exhaust stud for a while now and its been fine and it never leaked until today. The sound is really annoying and give you a headache from all day of riding like that. The previous owner decided to do a self repair and dill the old stud out but screwed up the hole pretty bad. I dont think it could be repaired by tapping new threads in since it would have to be like a 3/8 bolt and that wouldnt even fit through the exhaust flange. So I was thinking about getting some high heat epoxy and filling the hole in and tapping new, smaller threads in there. How hot does the engine cyl. get? Most epoxys I've found only resist to 500 deg F. Besides the heat issue I think this would work pretty well. What are your opinions on this?

NINJA
10-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Don't waste your time with epoxy. Take the head in and have the hole welded in and redrilled and retapped. I have an extra 86 head if you really need one.

jason 32
10-28-2007, 12:12 AM
yea i think you could just take the motor off or in to a welder they can fill the hole with aluminum re drill it

Nightbiker07
10-28-2007, 12:43 AM
just drill it out and tap it yourself......drill the hole in the flange out too.........save time, effort, and money

Dirtcrasher
10-28-2007, 01:14 AM
JUNK it, and get a used head. Waste of time if it's that bad and a helicoil cannot be used...

SWIGIN
10-28-2007, 10:03 AM
JUNK it, and get a used head. Waste of time if it's that bad and a helicoil cannot be used...

its that attitude that is the reason parts are drying up

Dirtcrasher
10-28-2007, 10:18 AM
its that attitude that is the reason parts are drying up

Well, I'm not one to "give up" very easily.

But, he says it would take a 3/8 bolt so helicoils aren't gonna work.

Most of us don't have the ability to repair aluminum and I don't believe that epoxy works well when it is used to hold an exhaust onto a head. That repair around here would be a 50$ repair with welding and new threads, I wouldn't pay that when I probably buy 2 heads for that amount.

I have a pile of parts made from aluminum that I'm saving until I get a spool gun.