PDA

View Full Version : Very Stubborn Brake Cam...

bigreddaddy
10-27-2007, 01:09 AM
I'm trying to get the brake cam out of my sons yammy yfm100. This is the most stubborn damn thing I've had in a while. I've tried pounding it, a propane torch, more pounding, more heat, liquid wrench.
I tried turning the brake shoe side with a wrench and broke the damn end off. This thing won't budge!
Man I pounded on this damn thing for over 4 hours earlier also using heat and I think I may have moved it about 1/8 of an inch. Is there anything else I can try besides the above methods?

Howdy
10-27-2007, 09:30 AM
I used some PB blaster over a period of a couple days and was finally able to get one out. This was quite a few years ago though.

Start with trying to get the pin to move ( like it normally would ), then slowly work it out.
Howdy

bigreddaddy
10-27-2007, 09:40 AM
I have been using Liquid Wrench and I already tried twisting it but thats when I broke the shoe side end off. I already have another cam for it, I just have get this one out.
Oh well, I guess just more heat and pounding.

Howdy
10-27-2007, 09:42 AM
I have been using Liquid Wrench and I already tried twisting it but thats when I broke the shoe side end off. I already have another cam for it, I just have get this one out.
Oh well, I guess just more heat and pounding.

I don't think I have ever had one that bad. You may end up having to drill it out ( worse case ), and that won't be fun because it's hardened.
Howdy

bigreddaddy
10-27-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't think I have ever had one that bad. You may end up having to drill it out ( worse case ), and that won't be fun because it's hardened.
Howdy

Yeah I forgot to mention that I tried that too. Didn't make a dent. I think I'm going to have to get out the sledge.

ccdhowell
10-27-2007, 11:57 AM
If you have a vise you could rig a larger deep socket on the outside and a smaller, pin diameter, socket on the inside and tighten it in and apply constant pressure. Tigten it up, tap on it with a hammer, tighten more, tap more, may take a couple days of constant pressure with some tapping, but this always works for me. Or just get the sledge and start pounding.

DeePa
10-27-2007, 12:00 PM
how about a new rear axle hub? or the part the cam goes into?

bigreddaddy
10-27-2007, 01:57 PM
how about a new rear axle hub? or the part the cam goes into?

Well on the yfm100 the backing plate won't come off like the one on my big red, its one assembly and attaches to the diff. The shock also has to be taken off. I didn't want to go that far yet, but I guess I'm going to un-bolt it from the diff. and get a better angle at the cam to knock that fu***r out. I have bearings for it as well and might as well do all of it at one time.

jason 32
10-28-2007, 12:24 AM
im suprised you havent broke the housing - try a press if possible-
if not-