PDA

View Full Version : Need A Little Atc 70 Help

Cvt88fan
10-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Ok so I've had This atc 70 since I got it for christmas. Its an 1984 model well now im wanting to let my kids ride it but it isn't getting any fire so I bought a new coil and plug still no fire so I got one of those boxes that replaces the points and condenser put it on still no fire well now im stumped and hoping someone here could help what else could be the problem only thing I can think of would be the on/off switch thanks for any help you can give

Trouble
10-26-2007, 03:58 PM
unplug the on/off switch and see if you get spark.

Cvt88fan
10-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Ok I unpluged the on/off switch still gets no fire

Cvt88fan
10-29-2007, 09:25 PM
anyone have any ideas thanks in advance

Vealmonkey
10-29-2007, 10:22 PM
well, besides unplugging the starter switch, you have to put the 2 loose ends into each other to complete the circuit. Also a good thing to check is to make sure the coil is well grounded to the frame. If the coil ground is rusty, it might keep it from working. Also you have to check the points through the sight holes in the flywheel to make sure your points are opening or closing. If your points aren't opening or closing, it won't create the spark to fire the plug. You could check your points gap to make sure it's correct also. Make sure you have a nice fresh and correct spark plug in place and that it is gapped correctly. If all of those things check out, or don't check out as the case may be, you might want to put new points and condenser in it. You have to remove the flywheel to do this and you need to obtain a flywheel puller. You can find them on ebay or from a website called dratv.com
Dratv.com has alot of parts for the atc70s. You can still get the tune up parts from your local honda dealer, and should be able to get the flywheel puller too, but the dealer is usually kind of expensive.

KASEY
10-29-2007, 10:26 PM
WHERE DID YOU GET THIS BOX? is it made for lawnmowers? i tried that route tears ago without much sucess,,, i would put the points back in, did you replace the condencer? if not thats all thats left,, did it ever run while you have had it? your flywheel key good? and lined up? check the coil ground,, clean all connections and try it again,,,,