PDA

View Full Version : draining fuel on a '83 ATC 250R

ATCT
10-26-2007, 12:07 PM
OK, this question isn't a joke, although it might seem to be. I am shipping the trike via ForwardAir, which requires one to drain the fuel. I let the owner know this and he's stating he might have to remove the tank to drain it. This can't be correct, is it? I've owned 3 ATC's in my time (125M, 200X, 350X) and I don't recall any of them being difficult to drain the tank.

You can just remove the fuel line from the tank or the carb, correct? This can't be that hard on an R, is it?

I need to know what to tell him. Although not a big deal, I'd rather not have to put the tank back on when I get it. I just want to check fluids and hit the trails.

Thanks for the help.

chris200x
10-26-2007, 12:26 PM
You city folk are funny...

Its one bolt that holds the back of the tank on.. the front is held on by two grommets.

either pull the fuel line off the petcock and drain... or take the tank off,,, remove cap and turn upside down. simple really.........

ATCT
10-26-2007, 01:18 PM
You city folk are funny...

Its one bolt that holds the back of the tank on.. the front is held on by two grommets.

either pull the fuel line off the petcock and drain... or take the tank off,,, remove cap and turn upside down. simple really.........

I try to be as humorous as possible. ;)

Macs
10-26-2007, 01:28 PM
If you just pull the fuel line it will not drain completly for shipping. He will need to go ahead and remove the tank, pour out all the fuel and let it dry out in the sun.

JasonB
10-26-2007, 01:28 PM
I just delt with this when I sent my tank to syko lincoln to have him paint it. its not as simple as it sounds, removing and turning upside down to empty it doesnt work completely: theres a lip around the hole that keeps some in. I ended up shaking it upside down and then stuck some shop towels in it to soak up the last few ounces worth that I couldnt remove. you could also remove the petcock completely, the stem on the petcock actually makes it hard to get every little bit out of the tank so taking it all the way out helps too.

I ended up spraying it out with brake cleaner and then forcing high pressure air through to dry it. Wrapped the tank in 2 trash bags and boxed it up, then sprayed some axe body spray to mask the smell. The usps, ups, and fed ex are anal about things smelling like gas when you ship them :lol:

but shipping an entire trike is different, good luck getting the gas out!

ATCT
10-26-2007, 02:19 PM
If you just pull the fuel line it will not drain completly for shipping. He will need to go ahead and remove the tank, pour out all the fuel and let it dry out in the sun.

Thanks for the help. I'll let him know.

ATCT
10-26-2007, 02:31 PM
I just delt with this when I sent my tank to syko lincoln to have him paint it. its not as simple as it sounds, removing and turning upside down to empty it doesnt work completely: theres a lip around the hole that keeps some in. I ended up shaking it upside down and then stuck some shop towels in it to soak up the last few ounces worth that I couldnt remove. you could also remove the petcock completely, the stem on the petcock actually makes it hard to get every little bit out of the tank so taking it all the way out helps too.

I ended up spraying it out with brake cleaner and then forcing high pressure air through to dry it. Wrapped the tank in 2 trash bags and boxed it up, then sprayed some axe body spray to mask the smell. The usps, ups, and fed ex are anal about things smelling like gas when you ship them :lol:

but shipping an entire trike is different, good luck getting the gas out!

Thanks a lot. Hopefully they don't expect it be perfectly drained. We'll see, I guess.

JasonB
10-26-2007, 06:40 PM
ya its a pain to try to get it completely empty espescially if your on a short time frame due to shipping.