PDA

View Full Version : Looking to have topend work done.

edog
10-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Who does the best cylinder head work on the board?
I will be using my FMF Power Core muffler,Nickel plated pipe.

Things I would like to do.

1.Port and polish
2.Be Cool head
3.High comp gasket kit
4.Clean the cylinder up
5.New Wesico Piston

What can I exspect from this top end rebuild?
How much will this stuff cost to have done?

Dirtcrasher
10-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Better make sure that Mr. crank and Mrs. counter balancer are in great shape before you build a nasty top end.

edog
10-25-2007, 07:53 PM
anybody:wondering

Nightbiker07
10-25-2007, 08:09 PM
anybody:wondering

depends on your area, what you can come across parts for.
check the local machine shop, or somewhere on this site, theres a link to a company that does porting and whatnot, just ship them *Edited**Edited* jug.....

84honda200s
10-25-2007, 08:13 PM
hey dog see if ronnie can do it. but i dont know if he does what you need.

Dirtcrasher
10-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Are you certain the cylinder just needs to be "cleaned up" I acquired a mint 85 250R awhile ago with little side case scraping etc etc and the cylinder still had hone marks but when I mik'd it up, the cylinder was egged out quite a bit. It was VERY FAST and sounded quiet, but it was definately ready to blow up....

Anyhow, if you bore it, port it and add a cool head and gasket kit and piston I'd say your looking at about 700$. Which of course will be some nice gains, but then again - an 85 250R motor is a lightswitch, very little bottom end but a great topend. On an MX track, I didn't find mine easy to ride and thats probably why I'm a 4stroke guy now. 2 stroke motors crank when they are tired, everything is loose and worn and revs to the moon.

I wasn't trying to be a wise guy in my 1st post, it's a 2stroke and most cranks and mains on a 2 stroke which are not bathed in engine oil need to be replaced. When people put a nasty top end on a tired older bottom it usually skyrockets itself. The 250R has a crappy counterbalancer mount and the bolts fail too.

Who to go to? I'd just worry about the porting and simply ship it out to anyone that use to build TRX250R motors. They will probably recommend the 88 long rod crank as an upgrade. I don't trust anybody with anything, there just doesn't seem to be anyone around that CARES, unless you are racing and have their sticker on your bike.

Most local shops are still hiring 19yo kids that don't know what they want to do with there life except for getting there next tattoo and a piece of arse. I just don't trust my parts with them, even my local dealer that has been around at least 40 years and has a bunch of boneheads working there.

Dammit!
10-25-2007, 09:39 PM
P. R. Racing Engines
(419) 472-2277
2790 Tremainsville Rd
Toledo, OH
43613-2569

They built mine in the 80's and it's still running strong. Only re-did the top end once since I've owned it.

Not sure I'd spend the money on a cool head. Use a CR head gasket and if you really want more power have the dome done on the stock head. Even just using the CR gasket alone will force you to run at least 100 octane.

Nightbiker07
10-25-2007, 09:43 PM
mine had good bottom end, at least it did before. waiting to get it back together.
although, the strong bottom end could be attributed to the stroker crank?

jason85atc250r
10-25-2007, 11:10 PM
the cool head is worth the money just for the better cooling. get a oring model.

Nightbiker07
10-25-2007, 11:17 PM
P. R. Racing Engines
(419) 472-2277
2790 Tremainsville Rd
Toledo, OH
43613-2569

lol i live right down the street from them. they do excellent work.

Kintore
10-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Halls performance In MI does lota work here on the boards, and builds some SLICK stuff!

RideRed250R
10-26-2007, 01:00 AM
dont get a regular cool head... they havent changed the design since... 87? get a esr head, its abetter design and increased water jackets, get the cylinder done by a pro, not by someone on the board, i can port my own engines but i still say no to freinds....

icp4life162005
10-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Hey Ride Red, I believe by someone on the board the board they were referring to 'pros' such as Jason Hall and others.

Liquid-Darkness
10-26-2007, 09:13 AM
I have already tested the limits of high compression with a waterpumper R. Started with 205 psi. Even with 110 race gas it will over heat after a few runs. I had to lower my R's compression to 200psi exactly before I could use the 110 and not overheat. You can race all day with that compression and not have a problem. Some may say otherwise, but I am telling you from my experience. It will idle smooth and not blubber from overheating but do not exceed the limit. Its a two stroke, they run hot.

Huffa
10-26-2007, 10:02 AM
What are you after more low, mid or top ?

There are different porting specs usually for different needs.

Just be careful in your choice, so big deal you gained some on top, then part of the low end most likely will be lost.

Wes from Boyesen engineering has been porting (his specialty) 2 stroke motors for 20-25 years now, he used to be down by me but moved up your way some where.

Give him a try if you wish ......... WESJG@aol.com

NE250r
10-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Most local shops are still hiring 19yo kids that don't know what they want to do with there life except for getting there next tattoo and a piece of arse.

So I see youve been to Cycle Pro's too eh? lol

3Razors
10-26-2007, 01:21 PM
the cool head is worth the money just for the better cooling. get a oring model.

Truth be known a modified stock head gives the same performance only much cheaper.

Also go easy on the compression. Too much compression will take away from peak high-rpm abilities.

NINJA
10-26-2007, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE

Most local shops are still hiring 19yo kids that don't know what they want to do with there life except for getting there next tattoo and a piece of arse. I just don't trust my parts with them, even my local dealer that has been around at least 40 years and has a bunch of boneheads working there.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Yeah, that's how I started out. Fortunately I got a good education before then from the shop next door and alot of mentoring. Then I went to MMI when I was fresh outta highschool. I was a service manager by the time I was 21 years old. All I've ever done is wrench on toys. But it is true, everyone that is in their late teens knows everything and is a bonehead. You stop being a bonehead when you start getting experience and people point out what you're doing wrong and you listen to it. Most dealerships these days don't pay much and yet there is a line of kids wanting the job because of all the fast toys there. You can tell a good dealer if they've had the same guys there for years. The Big Box dealers are the worst.
On the other note, stick to the guys that specialize in your engine for work. ESR is awesome. Trinity is awesome. Those are my favs for 250r work. I port all my own stuff if I have the time.

Yamahondaman
10-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Trinity and ESR are good along with Alan over at CT Racing when it comes to sending out the Pro-X 310-330-350 and the 370 Cyl's and what not but.......
there are a few "Board" Member's that can make a Stock Based 250-R Cyl. FASTER than them "Thing's" for a Cheaper Price.. :naughty:
Jason Hall's Stuff Doesn't Play .... They GO FAST !

3leggeddog
10-27-2007, 09:56 AM
i would talk with Jason Hall,hes done alot of work for me,with great results everytime!!he really knows his way around them "lil" ol 250's

Mosh
10-27-2007, 10:18 AM
i would talk with Jason Hall,hes done alot of work for me,with great results everytime!!he really knows his way around them "lil" ol 250'sI agree.I have Z motor and a 250R motor done buy him and they haul the mail.:)

Jason Hall
10-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words you guys.

Moshman355, I just realized you wound up with Derrick old motor. That cylinder turned out real nice for a MXer. I rode Kintore's bike at the dunes & thought It could use a little more top end power for silver lake. If ya want more, let me know :beer

Mosh
10-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words you guys.

Moshman355, I just realized you wound up with Derrick old motor. That cylinder turned out real nice for a MXer. I rode Kintore's bike at the dunes & thought It could use a little more top end power for silver lake. If ya want more, let me know :beerThanks bud.I like the set-up as I will be making this R my primary trail and mx machine.I am tired of riding the Z all the time on the track.

I will however have a 86 Trx cylinder for you to do this spring.That I want some horespower from:D .

Hey I need to give you a call.I have some questions to pick your brain on;)