PDA

View Full Version : carb is acting weird.

storm_impulse
10-22-2007, 06:38 PM
ok so this is what happened. i got my other carb from TRR today. before my trike would only run while giving it gas. i looked a my jets and noticed they were alil wore. everyone keeps telling me to upgrade the carb so i did. i went from a 112 jet through all the sizes and found a 122 works best. well after doing all that and replacing some more jets i noticed the jet that goes onto the float was really wore. i got my new one and noticed the top was alil flat. then i took the one outta the carb i got from TRR any noticed that it was really pointy. wtf? well anyways the trike would run and idle by itself for only 2 mins max. after it died the seam where the bowl bolts to the carb was dripping gas out bad. so i drained the carb and took it all back apart and there wasnt anything wrong. float wasnt stuck or anything. took my plug out and it was black but bone dry. i put the carb back on to see if i was getting any gas at all in the cylinder and its not. its still flooding really bad. why does the carb flood but not shoot gas into the cylinder? by the way. when i put the 122 on it the whole jet itself seemed longer. i swaped in the shallow bowl off TRR's carb and put it on. think the shallow carb bowl is causeing it to over fill and flood out?

team-red-rider
10-22-2007, 06:58 PM
if its from the seam its a bad gasket...

storm_impulse
10-22-2007, 07:01 PM
so i thought but after rebuilding everything with new gaskets and seals, basically the whole motor and carb it cant be. for some reason the gas in the bowl is getting to full. the gas shouldnt even fill up that far. and y isnt gas getting to the piston? the plug is dry and shinny from where i pulled it and cleaned it off. i dont know wtf to do know. i have a new xr200 carb coming but i wanna ride now. spending 35 bucks for a jet kit was kinda usless besides the 122 jet.

bigreddaddy
10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Well, it sounds like its a float problem. If its still leaks at the bowl then it has to be the gasket or your not tightening the screws down hard enough. There should be an overflow on the carb where excess fuel comes out.
Is the "pointy" jet your talking about the float valve? If so its supposed to be pointy. Check your float height.

bigreddaddy
10-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Try putting the stock carb back on. By the way the main jet doesn't control your idle. When you take the bowl off you should see an o-ring gasket. Make sure its in their correctly. Have you cleaned or changed your Pilot jet? What about the settings on the side of the carb while idling?

storm_impulse
10-22-2007, 08:35 PM
i have cleaned everything, and swapped back to my deep bowl. out of 3 carbs including mine, all 3 are diffrent. i took everthing apart and the first carb( the round bowl carb) had a shallow bowl but was round. i noticed the flaot valve was also shorter then the other 2. it bolted on but was a smaller carb. the other carb i got from TRR had a square shaped bowl like my 85 x carb but was also alittle shallow. i used the float valve outta it but didnt notice that it was shorter then my original carb. i guess since it being shorter it caused my float to go beyond its float limits. i put my new float valve and the 122 jet and it starts and idles. i still gotta adjust the idle and mixture screws, altho all this BS is just temperary untill i get my xr carb. also going for the 6 speed bottom end.:twisted:

Dirtcrasher
10-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Can I ask how you knew your jets were "a little worn"??

bigreddaddy
10-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Glad you got it working. Yeah these carbs can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.

Satsol67
10-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Can I ask how you knew your jets were "a little worn"??

I was wondering the samething. I didnt think that the gas flowing through the brass jets could eat away at the jets.

storm_impulse
10-23-2007, 04:30 PM
I was wondering the samething. I didnt think that the gas flowing through the brass jets could eat away at the jets.

let me correct myself. POS, OLD, JUNK,. y use somthing that is POS,OLD,JUNK when i have new ones? sorry for the wrong usage of words.

storm_impulse
10-23-2007, 05:19 PM
ok...... well i did a plug chop to try to dial in the carb real good and adjusted something to far and dont know what it is. it runs but only idles for about 5 secounds and putters out. its smoking blue? the plug is black. i assume that its running alil rich correct? i took the air hose off to see if it was spitting gas out or sucking gas in. when i hold the throttle the carb is sucking great and dont miss. when i hold it 1/4 way in, the carb sucks but then misses and spits a mist of gas out the air side of the carb. im confused now and dont know what else to do. im thinking since i now have a bigger jet that the air/gas screw should be alil more adjusted to the lean side. i guess insted of 2 1/2 turns out i may have to go 2 3/4 maybe 3. i dont wanna try it yet cause i already phucked up.