PDA

View Full Version : 250SX Brakes?

sj13
10-21-2007, 05:28 PM
What are the signs of needing new cables....?

The brakes work well but there is no tention on the hand levers always feel kind of loose.

The rear brakes never totaly release after you stop... If I pull back on the arm on the rear wheel they free up very easily. where the cable attaches by the foot pedal there is nothing holding the cable firmly. looks like there should be its just floating in a little clamp on the frame.

Any help would be great... Its still very rideable I am loving the 250SX.

thanks in advance.

T3 LOPES
10-21-2007, 06:33 PM
I take it all apart and clean everything real good . Grease it up where needed and buy new cables. It will make a world of differents.

bigreddaddy
10-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Did you try adjusting the cable?

Chazzwazzit
10-21-2007, 08:56 PM
haha brakes are a luxury,i think i had em for about 2 weeks,downshift brotha

Dirtcrasher
10-21-2007, 09:29 PM
If the cables are old, at the end of there adjustment, open somewhere or don't slide with ease then you need new ones. The SX cables can be a PITA to adjust. Even with new cables for some reason it's tough to get the same freeplay and feeling in both the foot lever and handle lever and or one of them always feels mushy. You have to screw around with all the adjusters and it's best first to yank that drum, clean the pads and grease both the pivot points and shaft that the brake arm connects to. If any of this stuff is worn, you'll never get it right without drag or too much freeplay in one or the other. Make sure that they are routed correctly also.

I mostly ran just a foot lever cable but a 200X disc front end. Then you end up using the front disc more than anythin else.

sj13
10-22-2007, 10:04 AM
wheres the best place toi get the cables? (Want to avoid dealer high $)

Huffa
10-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Don't go getting new cables if they only need lubing, do you know how to lube them ?

Your back brakes just need a good cleaning and most likely the cam that spreads the shoes has a lot of dirt on where it goes thru the plate and needs to be slid out, cleaned and lubed.

If you have a 85 they are terrible at sealing out dirt and water.

That's one thing (cleaning brakes) on the 85 that needs constant attention if you go in mud/water a lot.

This place here has cables for you, if you do order them, measure yours 1st, make sure they are the same length.

http://www.hyperparts.com/wc.dll?ctwp~getitemclass~1001~1002~1~page~00007~00 089~Honda~21

sj13
10-25-2007, 10:42 AM
will the cam just slide out?