PDA

View Full Version : 250SX questions

jbezan
10-21-2007, 06:36 AM
I have always owned 200M's and 200S's, but i am starting to look for a machine with reverse and better suspension.

I came across an 85 250SX that is fairly minty for around $1500 in manitoba here. Everything still works great. new rear bearings, tires, and exhaust.

was wondering whether a 250SX is a good reliable machine or not? What kind of problems should i expect to have with them? Should money come tight, would it still hold a decent resale value?

thanks for some help guys

tapper190
10-21-2007, 07:25 AM
I think that the 250sx is a great choice. When I bought mine, I had to replace the head (didn't know it at the time, the valve cover was just leaking) because the cam jurnals were worn out.
Make sure that the rubber boot from the motor to axle is sealed good. There was a factory recall on it. The ones that were fixed was suppose to have an x stamped on the swinger. I've heard that the rear brakes are a problem and alot of people put the '86 rear ends in. (better seal for the brakes?) I've also heard and read some of the '85 models have a cold starting issue. That's all that I can think of but it is still an AWESOME trike! I've pulled out 4x4 quads before with mine! In the trials, I can easily keep up with every one I'm riding with. ( haven't had it out with RoscoW with his R yet :naughty: ) I wouldn't sell mine for anything!
Tapper

Tri-ZNate
10-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Any SX is aan AWESOME upgrade from a non or even a semi suspended bike. $1500 sounds a little high so i would hope it is near mint.

Problems are mainly the rear ends on the '85s. The dust seal lets water into the brake pads and bearings. I've had pads go bad (no not intended to rhyme) after just one ride(as in the pads came of the metal shoes they come on). One supposed way to fix it is to silicone the dust seal and put the brake drum on, I dont go muddin anymore so i could care a less.

Dirtcrasher
10-21-2007, 09:53 AM
The SX is near bulletproof. Everyone has mentioned the water entry problem. There is a pin in the left case that supports a spring which returns the shift lever after up or downshifting - it comes loose and or breaks. Other than that, there are virtually no other factory problems.

That is expensive unless it is near mint.

Remember that aside from an OEM defect there is always the previous owner "I'm a stupid moron and can't fix my own machine, so I'll just screw it up and sell it" defect :)

Frankencelery
10-21-2007, 11:24 AM
I agree with everyone else who said $1500 is a bit high. I paid $800 for mine, and it needed swingarm bearings, and the plastics were shot, but it was and is really solid mechanically. I think you can get one cheaper. It's a killer machine though.

rally4x4racer
10-21-2007, 03:45 PM
thats a lot of great info guys.

I just traded a .22 to my friend for his 85 250SX. It is uglier than a fat toothless arkansas white trash woman - but it is complete and runs.

It has a shifting / transmission problem (probably what DC just mentioned) and it wont move when you put it in 2nd or 3rd.

Rough value of the trade in was $100. I can't wait to clean it up and get it running.

Chazzwazzit
10-21-2007, 04:03 PM
i would pay it if its mint,i paid $1100 for mine but put alot of parts into it so it wasnt worth it really.we pay more for them in canada it seems.ive seen em for $2000 around here

jbezan
10-21-2007, 04:29 PM
yah canada is ridiculous. big reds in manitoba are selling in decent shape for 2000, good shape in 3000. there is another 250sx for sale for 2200 in about the same shape.

sj13
10-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Mine is now for sale to all canadians!

rally4x4racer
10-22-2007, 01:42 AM
does anyone know if a 350x exhaust will fit on a 250sx header?