PDA

View Full Version : tracking down a title

cbrsoy
10-18-2007, 01:15 AM
just wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to track down a title for a atc. i purchased a 350x from my brother inlaw and it has been on his farm for about ten years and has no idea if he even got a title with it. but you have to be registered here in iowa to ride about anywhere.thanx

stoney420
10-18-2007, 02:32 AM
i could be wrong, and im sure someone will correct me if i am.. but i dont think u need a title for machines as old as these, i think all u need is a receipt from the previous owner (your brother in this case)..
anyone know?

bigred1
10-18-2007, 05:35 AM
i live in omaha nebraska and ride in iowa south of councilbluffs and i asked about being registered, i was told i just had to take the vin id from the threewheeler and go to walmart sporting goods and pay i think 10 or 20 bucks for reg fee. of coarse i have not done it though but that is what i was told by the pott. county office. they also said title was not needed.

Rustytinhorn
10-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Did your brother ever register it at one time or another???

Get a Bill of Sale from your brother. It should say something to the effect of " I (sellers name) do hereby sell this (year and model of trike) with vin number (list vin number) to (Buyers name) for (X amount of dollars) on this (list date/current year i.e. 10/12/07) Then you both have to sign it. Microsoft word has the standard bill of sale you can print out.

This will, should, work if your brother was the last one to register the bike. If he wasn't, then you will have to go back and find the next previous owner and get a bill of sale from him. If no previous owner can be found then you can get some sort of paperwork for a lost title from the Division of Motor Vehicles. This is how we do it here in UT. It is not hard. You have to write a bunch of information on the trike, have a police man run the vin number to make sure its not stolen, and then the police man has to sign it. After that have your brother sign it, and I think you have to sign it too. Then take that back with the Bill of Sale and a lot of $$ and you should be good to go.
We register ours at our county court house. Find someplace where you can go to the Division of Motor Vehicles, same place you register your car and boat, snowmobiles, etc... Chances are they have dealt with stuff like this before.

ceaserthethird
10-18-2007, 01:17 PM
It takes time & Money $$$

Took me 4 months to get mine and $140 dollars total ... ( writing letters traking people down , running vin numbers ect ... Mailing Certified mail ect ...

( it's a Pain in the As ) but it can be done !

Just like RustyTinHorn Said !

oldskool83
10-18-2007, 01:31 PM
talk to ATCtim....hes gotten them resitered and titles i belive this collection of like 20 or so.

atctim
10-18-2007, 01:51 PM
I can get most any ATV registered here in PA - NOTE - most any - as long as it has never been registered her in PA before. You'd get a Title from the state of PA - and a registration plate through the PA DCNR. In your case - I would have to have it all done in my name - then it would have to be transfered into your name. I think my part costs like $58 for the plate and title - then you have the cost of transferring the title to your state.

Let me know if you wanna go this route.

cbrsoy
10-18-2007, 11:44 PM
i just want to thank everyone for all the suggestions. I have to do some investigating and see what i can come up with. thanks again