PDA

View Full Version : Stock 86 250R flat out flies with this jet setup

whyzee
10-16-2007, 09:02 PM
bone stock,original piston Temp today 58 .
main jet 140
pilot jet stock
needle clip positon : all the way to the top
air screw 3/4 turn out from full in
32 to 1 mix.
I know you guys will say this is way too lean but the bike is flat out arm ripping
10 degree change in temp is noticeable. I can usually get that in the air screw
bike is crazy fast,no death rattle, no lean bog just sick bottom end alll the way to the rev limiter:drool:

Best setup I have found for woods and tight tracks where you are only wide open for 2-4 seconds up to 4th gear.

jeffatc250r
10-16-2007, 09:07 PM
ok...:wondering

oldsking86
10-16-2007, 09:10 PM
We'll be here when you have an issues later on down the road....

Have you checked the plug after riding?

whyzee
10-16-2007, 09:16 PM
point is The honda stock jetting is wayyyy to rich for almost every application and this setup could not be any better at all for these conditions. Remember there are alot of newbies here.Guys buy bikes in Az and ride em in the east and say its fast but it falls off. Well they probably have a 155 main jet in there.

This setup is the ticket for those of you on the east coast for a BONE STOCK 86 250R. that means stock air filter also!!!:beer

whyzee
10-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Insulator looks great, light brown... I know I am waiting for the hole in the top of my piston. I don't get to do any 5th or 6th gear wide open, but 1 to 4th wide open...holysmokes it is sick!
Basically is is a great woods, tight track, setup if you can hang on.
I am sure sand or alot of wide open long throttle runs I would instantly see that I am to lean, but alas, no Glamis in CT.
I will certainly richen it up for the cold and our sand (snow)

edog
10-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Well I got mine properly jetted.It will take you breath away!
It isn't stock thow.

I run the main a little lower 150.I have my needle all the way up.

edog
10-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Insulator looks great, light brown... I know I am waiting for the hole in the top of my piston. I don't get to do any 5th or 6th gear wide open, but 1 to 4th wide open...holysmokes it is sick!
No 5th and 6 th...Where are you riding?

Rustytinhorn
10-17-2007, 12:26 AM
I dont think you are lean. I also notice a big difference in performance as soon as it turns into jacket weather. Then again, I dont have a lot of air up here at 5280 feet. The manual recommends a 140 main for certain conditions anyway, so if it checks out o.k., then I see no reason to worry. But be careful, if one is running lean it will make it rev up quicker.
I have spent since Feb. 2007 dialing my jetting to were I want it. Its just about perfect, and I tell you what, I have some great bottom end-top end power.
I'm not stock, but FYI I run a 130 or 132 main jet.

Liquid-Darkness
10-17-2007, 08:21 AM
I ran a 140 before. My old R had power reeds and a DG exhaust+unifilter. I also repacked the silencer and threw on fresh topend. It does rip, but I recomend 110 with these bikes. They run so smooth and fast with high octaine. 200psi max compression. With a few main jets richer and a whole lot of small aftermarket mods, the bike will scream with even more power.

1DEADPRESIDENT
10-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Hey Zee!

32.1 isn't really that lean. I use the MOTUL in my 88 R & @ 40.1 it rips all the way through and I too have messed with the mixture in the stock ATC's and the factory recomendation is rediculous.

ceaserthethird
10-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Moved from thee 160 main jet -

Man this is so true i just drop my main Jet to 145 , Stock Pilot , Need Clip second from the TOP .... Still Running Rich But Made a huge difference !

whyzee
10-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Moved from thee 160 main jet -

Man this is so true i just drop my main Jet to 145 , Stock Pilot , Need Clip second from the TOP .... Still Running Rich But Made a huge difference !

Go to the 140 main, needle clip all the way to the top. even more wow!!!!:beer :w00t:
I had a 145 main and I didn't think it would make that much of a difference... wow!! Do the needle clip also!

dwolf8u
10-17-2007, 07:18 PM
im at 7200 ft 50-80 degrees normally 140 main,stock pilot,clip on top groove,and run 32:1 honda syn.:w00t: :w00t: :beer .htfo.. and let the fun begin.

NINJA
10-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey Zee!

32.1 isn't really that lean. I use the MOTUL in my 88 R & @ 40.1 it rips all the way through and I too have messed with the mixture in the stock ATC's and the factory recomendation is rediculous.

Yeah, you're right, it's not lean, in fact it is rich. The stock 20:1 is lean, more oil and less gas=lean mixture.

1upfront
10-17-2007, 07:42 PM
I ran my 84 250r motor with a 108 jet for a full season at the drag's using 110 octane mixed at 20:1 with amsoil dominator and with an open uni filter, that thing flat out screamed it ran a fastest time of 5.611 in the 300ft never had any problems, that's the way these thing's are made to run stock jetting is just mainly for break in purposes and also to tune the bike down. Also 110 octane is a richer fuel than pump gas and requires less fuel per air to do the trick so it usually requires dropping a couple jet sizes.

3Razors
10-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Hey Zee!

Honda has the factory jetting setup for a 20:1 mixure. If you do change ratios YES you should lean out the jetting for peak performance.

On a side note 20:1 works great in my 250r's. 2 of them are still on the original crankshafts/bearings/piston, and the third is on its first over after 20 something years. The harder you run your machine the more oil it needs to live a long time.

whyzee
10-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Ok finally got the chance to take my R to an open field and really hold her wide open in 5th and 6th gear. I noticed a lean bog at around 3/4 throttle to wide open only in 5th and 6th gear tapped out.
Conclusion.... awesome short track , woods setup up through 5th gear mid throttle. If you need to go faster than that or ride in the sand this will be too lean.

Sick bottom through top pull 1st -4th. You need to sit on the tank to keep the front end down:D

burnoutboy
10-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Yeah, you're right, it's not lean, in fact it is rich. The stock 20:1 is lean, more oil and less gas=lean mixture.

20:1 is very rich..20 parts gas to 1 part oil. 40:1 is 40 parts gas to 1 part oil..

NINJA
10-26-2007, 03:53 AM
20:1 is very rich..20 parts gas to 1 part oil. 40:1 is 40 parts gas to 1 part oil..

LMAO!
Hmmmmm, why don't you think about that one a little while longer, because, apparently you don't understand how this works. At a 40:1 mixture you now have 50% less oil in your gas as oppossed to a 20:1 mixture. 40:1 equals more gas and less oil, therefore it is a richer mixture. That is why nobody else has argued with me about this. If you ever mix anything with a Ratio Rite you will quickly figure this out. Please don't argue about something if you do not understand how it works.

stoney420
10-26-2007, 04:13 AM
At a 40:1 mixture you now have 50% less oil in your gas as oppossed to a 20:1 mixture. 40:1 equals more gas and less oil, therefore it is a richer mixture.
i think its the other way around man, you are right 40:1 equals more gas and less oil as opposed to 20:1 obviously, but i beleive since u have less oil at 40:1 that is a leaner mix isnt it?.. am i missing something here???....

NOS_350X
10-26-2007, 04:16 AM
On the stock bikes ive played with i end up around a 160 main. Amazes me how lean you got these things. Im real courious how long that piston will hold up in there. But you also said you arnt getting in 5th or 6th. Out west here we will run in the desert for miles wide open. You defently want it on the rich side here.

whyzee
10-26-2007, 06:32 AM
On the stock bikes ive played with i end up around a 160 main. Amazes me how lean you got these things. Im real courious how long that piston will hold up in there. But you also said you arnt getting in 5th or 6th. Out west here we will run in the desert for miles wide open. You defently want it on the rich side here.

definitly. When I finally got it to a field where I could run it wide open in 5th and 6th I could feel the lean bog set in.

This setup I am suggesting is for woods or tight tracks . I am lucky if I have it wide open for 2-3 seconds before shutting it down to make a tight turn.
Wish I had some riding like you have!

NINJA
10-26-2007, 02:59 PM
i think its the other way around man, you are right 40:1 equals more gas and less oil as opposed to 20:1 obviously, but i beleive since u have less oil at 40:1 that is a leaner mix isnt it?.. am i missing something here???....

OMG! I am really getting sick of this you guys. Do your effin homework and learn how this works before you argue it! You are missing something here, it's called oxygen. Say you have a 20:1 mix, that's 20 parts gasoline to one part oil. Now, think of that mixture going through the tiny little orifice of a main jet. You've got more oil displacing the gas through that tiny little hole. Now that mixture is pulled up through your main jet and into your emulsion tube where it gets blended with air, that mixture finally gets pulled into your carburetor venturi. Now stay with me here. If you were to mix your gas and oil at 40:1 you would now have more gasoline going through your main jet and into your emulsion tube to mix with the air coming through your main airjet and into the emulsion tube. This mixture would be a richer mixture because it is more gasoline, less oil, and the same amount of air.

3Razors
10-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Well put Ninja

stoney420
10-26-2007, 04:44 PM
lol damn u got me all confused now, o well i guess thats why i dont have any 2 strokes! sry for the thread highjacking..
~Stoney~

burnoutboy
10-27-2007, 12:19 AM
um ok...now im real lost. guess the whole air thing ads a third dimension to fuel to oil ratios. so in another words the more oil i use the leaner it is?

NINJA
10-27-2007, 02:31 AM
That is correct, the more oil that is in your gas, the leaner your mixture is going to be going into your engine. That is why the stock 250Rs have such large main jets from the factory, to deal with the factory recommended 20:1 mix. They recommend 20:1 because all that oil will help the machine cope with alot more abuse and last longer. Chainsaws for example commonly use a 16:1 ratio because they get run wide open frequently.

RedRider_AK
10-27-2007, 03:24 AM
What people need to learn to do is figure out that "rich" and "lean" can mean two different things. If your "MIX RATIO" is lean, it means that you used less oil in proportion to gas. If you have a lean "mix ratio" (or whatever you want to call it), you have a richer jetting, because of the fact that it's letting more fuel into the cylinder per intake stroke, due to there being less oil in the gasoline premix.

NOS_350X
10-27-2007, 03:41 AM
An easy way to put it, the more oil means you will have better lube on the berrings and crank. BUT your piston (combustion) will be running lean so you can fry the pison.
Running less oil, means your combustion will be richer (assuming same jetting) but lube on the berrings and crank will not be as good. (Leading to a possible froze crank)