PDA

View Full Version : NEED HElp! 225dx engine removal

trikes4life
10-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know how to pull a 225x engine. Does the rear end need to come off.

edog
10-15-2007, 04:09 PM
I think the swingarm is in the way when you remove it?

trikes4life
10-15-2007, 04:26 PM
how do you get the drive shaft out of the engine.

hondahaulic
10-15-2007, 04:43 PM
if i remember correct, there are 2 short bolts under those plasic caps on the right and left side of the frame where the swinger pivots. take those out and the rear end will just pull right off unless im forgetting something.

84honda200s
10-15-2007, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=hondahaulic;541996]if i remember correct, there are 2 short bolts under those plasic caps on the right and left side of the frame where the swinger pivots. take those out and the rear end will just pull right off unless im forgetting something.[/QUOTE

yea your rite. but you wont get that rear end out far enough if you dont undo the brake cables and breather. them two pivot bolts are a royal pain sometimes too. when we did my fathers it took 4-6 hours of heating and pb blasting them. never again will i work on a shaft driven trike/quad.

oooo i forgot one more thing. (im sure you would figure it out but ill tell ya anyway) there are 4 bolts that hold the drive shaft casing to the tranny them will also have to come out.

that should cover it i think. good luck

trikes4life
10-15-2007, 06:12 PM
ok update....... i had to pull only one pivit bolt out left side. pull the wheels, hub, tank, rear fenders, tank covers, starter, shifter, break lever, carb, all the engine mount bolts, header and exhaust. the engine slid right out. took 4 hours, the rear end and swinger are totaly rebuilt, and new swinger bearings and swinger bolts. got to do it all again tomarrow got to pull the other engine from other bike.

trikes4life
10-15-2007, 06:14 PM
o can some one show a pick of where the battery mounts.

trikes4life
10-15-2007, 06:15 PM
can someone give me pros and cons of the 225dx

84honda200s
10-15-2007, 06:32 PM
battery mounts under the rear fender on the left hand side if you looking at it from the rear end. ill try to get pics tomorrow if i remember.

pros and cons hmmmm well pros first i guess. electric start, 5 speed tranny, sits reasonably high (ok for creeks)

now for the cons. pain to work on the drivetrain, its shaft driven, kinda tipsy, and lacks power.

these are my own opinions though. but really its sad when my brothers us90 powered 125m can almost hang with it. but ill give it one thing it has an ok amount of torque. it pops wheelies soooo easy. if your looking to go fast its not for you. if you wanna creek ride and bomb around in the woods its what you can use for sure.

trikes4life
10-16-2007, 12:55 PM
yeah my brother bought two 225dx parts bike for about 400, one had good fenders and engine, the other had engine with bad clutch and need top end, but completely rebuilt rear end. Well see how this project is going to turn out. Got to go pull other engine. This was just to put anround the woods, and trails.