PDA

View Full Version : Rear Linkage Grease - what kind ?

Huffa
10-14-2007, 03:21 PM
I have my whole linkage apart and want to know what grease that comes in the tube for grease gun should I use.

I don't want to grease it by hand 1st with one type and find out it's not available for a grease gun and have to use a different kind.

I looked in my shop manual and can't find what they recommend anywhere in it.

MTS
10-14-2007, 03:23 PM
a good waterproof, marine stuff works good, or something with some molly in it.

Huffa
10-14-2007, 03:27 PM
a good waterproof, marine stuff works good, or something with some molly in it.

So that's no big deal to find that for grease gun? Auto part store ?

MTS
10-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Yup, I think we use Chevron stuff at the shop...cant remember off top of my head.

Old 179
10-14-2007, 05:54 PM
250R book has to use a MoS2 (containing more then 40% molybdenum) grease.

ProCarbine2k1
10-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Bel-ray waterproof grease. They sell it in tubs at most dealerships... Excellent stuff!

Huffa
10-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Bel-ray waterproof grease. They sell it in tubs at most dealerships... Excellent stuff!

:lol: I have that, love it (pretty color:lol: ), but my main concern was when it's all together if it doesn't come in a grease tube for gun, then I can't use it but wait a minute!!, just thought of this, simply take it out of tub and mash it down in an empty tube, yea, that's what I'll do!

Does it have moly (thanks old 179) in it though , I didn't see anything on container about that?

Old 179
10-14-2007, 10:02 PM
:lol:

Does it have moly (thanks old 179) in it though , I didn't see anything on container about that?

My info has Belray Moly-Lube MC-8, Book first printed in 1988. Could have different (nunbers- lettering) now!

Old 179

ProCarbine2k1
10-14-2007, 10:05 PM
read your container dude, its what i use.. if its not good enough for ya im sure autozone will suit your fancy...

honda250sx
10-14-2007, 10:25 PM
huffa, I work at a dealer and we sell Bel-Ray in a grease cartridge. It is a standard 14 oz. cartridge. Look on the web for it. Most won't show a picture. But they will give you the option to buy either 16 oz. tub or 14 oz. cartridge.

honda250sx
10-14-2007, 10:30 PM
My info has Belray Moly-Lube MC-8, Book first printed in 1988. Could have different (nunbers- lettering) now!

Old 179

OLD 179, you are correct. Huffa if your looking for this. Then you are looking for Bel-Ray's Assembly lube. Which is MC-8 these days.

Site states :

-Stable, nonmelting, multipurpose lubricant with a phenomenal capacity to prevent seizing and galling at extremely high temperatures

-Use it whenever tension or torque is applied

-Clings to all metal parts – use on threads, engine components, suspension linkage, etc.

Huffa
10-14-2007, 11:07 PM
read your container dude, its what i use.. if its not good enough for ya im sure autozone will suit your fancy...

I DID read it dude, I said that, it says nothing about moly.

Huffa
10-14-2007, 11:10 PM
huffa, I work at a dealer and we sell Bel-Ray in a grease cartridge. It is a standard 14 oz. cartridge. Look on the web for it. Most won't show a picture. But they will give you the option to buy either 16 oz. tub or 14 oz. cartridge.

Cool, exactly what I want to know thanks!

.......and old 179 & Procarbine I have this MC11, is this what MC8 is too and the #'s were changed like you said 179 and like said, not a word about moly.

Maybe they changed the moly to the Aluminum complex formula, which they state ??

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Belray_MC11_Waterproof_Grease--38-BEL-9.html

ProCarbine2k1
10-14-2007, 11:12 PM
I DID read it dude, I said that, it says nothing about moly.

Sorry about your luck dude, didnt have my container sitting beside me.

Huffa
10-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Sorry about your luck dude, didnt have my container sitting beside me.

hey no problem ......... no biggie :beer

honda250sx
10-14-2007, 11:53 PM
.......and old 179 & Procarbine I have this MC11, is this what MC8 is too and the #'s were changed like you said 179 and like said, not a word about moly.

Maybe they changed the moly to the Aluminum complex formula, which they state ??

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Belray_MC11_Waterproof_Grease--38-BEL-9.html

Huffa,
MC-8-11 is what it says on the assembly lube. I am assuming its better then what they used to have. I would email bel-ray tech support and ask what they can recommend. Maybe get some free stickers to boot!

Dirtcrasher
10-15-2007, 12:42 PM
I have used the Bel Ray on all my suspension pivot points for years and everything I maintained is still tight. I also put that same grease on every single fastner I reinstall and nothing ever breaks or seizes up again.

There is another grease called "moly paste" and it is thick and one speck on you goes everywhere :lol: but it works awesome on splines. Ever notice the play in your hubs? or the play in an SX ring gear hub to axle connection? It's because they are normally left dry or just regular grease is used there.

I had an SX rear end I cleaned up but it was tired. I ran that thing for years before the bearings finally went. It was an 85 style so water always made it's way in there. When I tore it apart, that black grease was still on all the splines and there was no wear to speak of.

honda250sx
10-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Steve, after talking to you about moly paste. I hit up the local john deere dealer which is HUGE place to say the least. One of there long time repairmen led me to what he referred to as "Open gear case" grease. Its more of a paste and a drop the size of a dime goes a million miles. Its amazing stuff. Used it on that NOS 86' SX complete rear swinger i bought when i tore it down.

Huffa
10-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Huffa,
MC-8-11 is what it says on the assembly lube. I am assuming its better then what they used to have. I would email bel-ray tech support and ask what they can recommend. Maybe get some free stickers to boot!

I just got some today in a cartrige for grease gun, it's now known as #9500.

Yea, i would assume that too, that it's better but I did call them, waiting for a rep to get back to me.

http://www.belray.com/consumer/product.fsp?pid=13631

Old 179
10-15-2007, 07:53 PM
I use Kendall SHP NLGI #2 Grease. It's a Calcium Sulfonate Complex. It is what the construction company I work for uses on there trucks and heavy equipment. They get into mud, water, sewage,chemical plants, ect.

Old 179

ProCarbine2k1
10-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Havent seen any Kendall grease around here, but I have started using their motor oil. Very impressed so far, and its cheaper than anything else - at least where Im at.