PDA

View Full Version : New 86 200X!!!

motoman110
10-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Well i bought a 86 200x off ebay a week ago, going to pick it up saterday night on the way to the races. Its been a while since i had a three wheeler that is capable of something since i sold the two 250r's i had. Its in alright shape prolly needs rear fenders and axle bearings but the motor was rebuilt. Just needs some TLC! lol

My dad says that the axle bearings will prolly be a real b$%ch to get out and that it is prolly easier and smarter to buy the whole bearing carrier. So i think il see what it all needs once pick it up and il get some pics too. Any ideas for aftermarket pipes? I dont hear the best things about cobras? I hear they blow the packing out alot ect... But im not one who complains about noise!!!

Dirtcrasher
10-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Give us the link to that auction... I was watching a few 86 and 87 200X auctions...

SYKO
10-09-2007, 07:17 PM
man axle bearings are easy wtf?! EVERY BODY whines and moans about them hell I changed both my R's witch still hade the 25+ year old bearings in them in less than an hr by myself up a hill both ways in a snowstorm and I was blinded that day with flash burn to my eyes and had both hands tied behind my back.....

super90
10-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah there not hard at ALL to get out. And carriers and hard to find and are quite pricey. Best bet it to make a custom exhaust setup too.

Dirtcrasher
10-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Whole bearing carrier? For an 86 200X? That is the holy grail and right up there with the Tecate scoop... Here is the one I just got, read it and weep fellow 86 200X lovers :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSAA%3AUS%3A11&viewitem=&item=150162961397

I'm just kidding, but man oh man was I lucky to score this carrier!! I would have easily bid 200$ for that carrier, I haven't seen a aftermarket 86 200X carrier.

No sweat to rebuild, most of the housings are junk though.... I have a couple of junkers if anyone wants to buy one??

super90
10-09-2007, 08:55 PM
I have a RAD aftermarket carrier that holds tapered bearings on mine. There not cheap but im guessing it will last a while. It came with the trike btw.

ProCarbine2k1
10-09-2007, 10:13 PM
hey dirt, why dont you take that to a machine shop and let somebody blueprint it, unless of course you do that kind of thing. it would sure be nice to know there are some available for sale.

motoman110
10-09-2007, 10:53 PM
i just got off the phone with the seller and i gues the parts machine is an 87 almost all complete just needs to have the motor rebuilt and a new axle because the splines are striped. he says the 86 runs real strong very fast, i cant wait to pick em up! what kind of tires would be a good choice for this machine i was thinkin more of a low profile flat track style tire and just gear it up more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190157921533&rd=1

Trouble
10-09-2007, 11:07 PM
il trade my 81 200 for your 200x :D lol, looks awesome man, nice find.

motoman110
10-09-2007, 11:28 PM
hahahah too bad its mine now:P what are peoples opinions ideas on maier plastics? how do the look? how strong?

brrcuda
10-10-2007, 03:43 AM
What are you saying you dont want to run those rare "super flaps". I think those are from the elephant ear series.:lol:

Nice snag though. A full parts bike too.

Maier plastics are pretty good. Hold up better compared to honda oems. Thicker and more forgiving to abuse. Just dont expect the lines to be as sharp/clean as oem.

Yup - a set of plastics, stickers and polish those red shrouds out and you will have a sweet ride. The frame looks real clean too and will shine up nicely.

What are the other holy grail parts for 86/87 200Xs? I have an 87 coming to my stable next month.

super90
10-10-2007, 07:14 AM
The kick starter definitely! I only saw one new one before and it went for over 300 on ebay.

Aka_am
10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
holy crap...

Dirtcrasher
10-10-2007, 03:16 PM
The kick starter definitely! I only saw one new one before and it went for over 300 on ebay.

I bought a brand new kicker 2 months ago for 85$, they are still available.

hey dirt, why dont you take that to a machine shop and let somebody blueprint it, unless of course you do that kind of thing. it would sure be nice to know there are some available for sale.

It's not a difficult part to make. It's all done on a lathe and just some simple measurements can get it done. It could esily accept 4 bearings instead of 2. I use conventional machining tools, this part requires a CNC or YAMAHONDAMAN to get it done. Once they have the program they can make them up easily. The problem with most OEM carriers is the chain adjustment notches. They are open on the chain side and a chain that falls off or the screwdriver that gets used to adjust the chain ruins the carrier. Not to mention that no one takes it out to grease it (then adjustment requires a hammer!) or they let the bearings go for so long that they get ruined. Most aftermarket carriers or one made on a CNC get about an 8mm blind hole for the chain adjustment and it's in the center of the metal so there isn't an "open" side for the tool to slip out of.

What are the other holy grail parts for 86/87 200Xs? I have an 87 coming to my stable next month.

The thing with the 86 is that you can get by with using some other model parts - like 400EX hubs or earlier year brakes, forks and headlight, but the OEM parts used or new are hard to find such as the headlight or the keyswitch on the 87. The motor is near bulletproof so if you have one that has been taken care of, your all set. The rear axle and carrier are tough to find in good shape as are the tank and seat. The compression release cable is gone both used and new.

the great gazoo
10-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Check out www.ronniesmailorder.com for the decompression cable, I was just ther, & they have 'em! 14 bucks & some change. They've probably got the kicker, too.

yamaha_ripper98
10-11-2007, 08:08 AM
a 250x or 300ex b-carrier will work on the 86 200x.

motoman110
10-11-2007, 02:49 PM
how much of an improvement are the 86's and 87's compared to the older 200X's? personaly i havnt rode a 200X for a long time

super90
10-11-2007, 03:31 PM
That ronnies mailorder seems to have every discontinued part for the 200x?! And only 23 bucks for a oem air scoop? Wow, im going to have to see if thats real :wondering

Comparing older 200xs to newer ones, I really think the older ones top out a little faster. But when your riding an older one youll notice the 86 200xs feel much more sporty and handle much better jumping.

NINJA
10-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I've already been through this. They get their parts through Honda and if it's discontinued, they don't have it. I just called them and they don't stock them either, so, no dice.