PDA

View Full Version : stock R thumb throttle cable / bigger carb = not long enough

Huffa
10-06-2007, 06:47 AM
Well the cable itself is long enough, running it on opposite side (R instead of L) but it's the actual travel that was just a bit too short and would not give me anyfree play.

Any of you R guys run into this ?

I have a 36 on and had to cut the threaded endpiece for carb cap off the stock cable because Honda made the diameter just a hair smaller, so it would not slide off and then I used the shorter one from the twist throttle to give me just the right amount of freeplay.

I could have taken the threaded adjuster off at other end too and possibly that would have been enough but I prefer to leave that adjustment on.

Once idle is set (had carb apart) I may gain just a bit more but what I have now is acceptable and I don't like much freeplay in it anyway.

deathman53
10-06-2007, 07:16 AM
what cable did you use??? Call Motion Pro about what cable to use. I didn't have any problems with a stock throttle opening a 39mm carb, nor cable fitmet problems. I do know the stock 85 cable will work with alot of the aftermarket carbs, but you have to unscrew the cable from the carb and screw that cable into the new carb cap.

Bryan Raffa
10-06-2007, 07:42 AM
83 R cable will have plenty for you

Huffa
10-06-2007, 08:02 AM
I said I have the stock 84 R thumb cable Raffa & deathman, as far as I know, I won the 84 assembly (thumb throttle/cable) off ebay, all looks stock to me.

I didn't have a cable fitment problem, just simply not enough travel and needed the shorter endpiece for cap, it's fixed now though.

Maybe my 36 mikuni has just a bit more travel then yours but I always assumed all carbs had basically the same amount ?

Have no idea if this carb was intended for a 84R or it was off some other type of machine? I'm still in contact with the former owner so I can ask.

Really, it works perfectly fine, turned into a time consuming project though till I figured out what to do.

SYKO
10-06-2007, 10:11 AM
yea if its a mikuni it wasnt for your machine, im not sure what a 36 mikuni came on, I think a quadzilla 500? I know I have a 40 mikuni going on my 300 and it never came stock on anything, it was ordered

Liquid-Darkness
10-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Well the cable itself is long enough, running it on opposite side (R instead of L) but it's the actual travel that was just a bit too short and would not give me anyfree play.

Any of you R guys run into this ?

I have a 36 on and had to cut the threaded endpiece for carb cap off the stock cable because Honda made the diameter just a hair smaller, so it would not slide off and then I used the shorter one from the twist throttle to give me just the right amount of freeplay.

I could have taken the threaded adjuster off at other end too and possibly that would have been enough but I prefer to leave that adjustment on.

Once idle is set (had carb apart) I may gain just a bit more but what I have now is acceptable and I don't like much freeplay in it anyway.

The only problem I had with my R and a 39mm PWK with stock thumb assembly was I had about 1/4th inch of the throttle valve that was still in the venturi at WOT. I zapped off the little nub in the thumb throttle that let the throttle open 1/4th of an inch more making the throttle valve come up completely.

Huffa
10-06-2007, 01:38 PM
The only problem I had with my R and a 39mm PWK with stock thumb assembly was I had about 1/4th inch of the throttle valve that was still in the venturi at WOT. I zapped off the little nub in the thumb throttle that let the throttle open 1/4th of an inch more making the throttle valve come up completely.

So you had the opposite problem, I'm quite sure mine opens all the way but now that you mention it I'll be sure and check that, that little bit could be the difference between winning and losing a drag, although I'm not into that, still important to me that it functions how it should.

I noticed on mine too, that with a reed block on, it shoves the carb back to where you can not have it perfectly vertical because the cable just above cap will hit the frame backbone then. I have it cocked to the R just ever so slightly.

Liquid-Darkness
10-06-2007, 01:57 PM
So you had the opposite problem, I'm quite sure mine opens all the way but now that you mention it I'll be sure and check that, that little bit could be the difference between winning and losing a drag, although I'm not into that, still important to me that it functions how it should.

Thats exactly how I feel, lol. I may not drag all day long, but if I get into it with someone or need the power hit at full I want the bike to hit at its full potential.