PDA

View Full Version : Setting timing from scratch

VenomRS4
10-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Im thinking about picking up a 185s from a board member. All it needs to run is for the timing chain to be hooked back up. I guess it fell down into the motor. I figured put the piston at TDC and close the valves then hook the chain back up. But I have a feeling its more complicated than that. (btw, im used to 2 strokes, ive never done internal work to a 4 stroke before)

I tried a search but couldnt quite find exactly what i was looking for. Can someone explain (or show me a link to a website) how to set timing on a 185s. Its needs to be step by step from the beginning. Im assuming I need to set everything...valves, spark, etc.

Thanks

84honda200s
10-03-2007, 06:52 PM
naw man u hit it rite on the head. tdc then valves closed and thats it. then put the generator on then set the gap and your ready to roll.

VenomRS4
10-03-2007, 09:03 PM
hmm. Ok then. Anyone else have a different opinion. i just thought it was going to be much harder than this.

What tools do i need?

Liquid-Darkness
10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
A rough out-line. Get a manual. Ask Dammit on the boards, he should be able to help you out. :cool:

VenomRS4
10-03-2007, 09:35 PM
damn, I dont want to spend $ on a manual yet because I dont know if i want to pick the trike up yet. i want to know how difficult of a job it is first.

84honda200s
10-03-2007, 09:40 PM
its not hard man. ive done it a million times on mine. ive done it so many dam times i almost have all the specs stuck in my head. its a very simple motor once you get into it.

rally4x4racer
10-03-2007, 09:43 PM
make sure you are at TDC on the compression stroke. also, make sure your cam sprocket marker is lined up with the notch in the head and your lobes should be facing down. pretty easy job.

get a manual and get the trike!

VenomRS4
10-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Does it really matter if its on the compresion stroke or not? I figured tdc was tdc...and thats all there was to it. Damn, I guess i need a manual.

stoney420
10-03-2007, 11:51 PM
you can download a manual at http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=56218&highlight=manual either for free or 1$ im not sure if he changed it yet, i didnt see the 185 but it may be in there..or you could download the closest one to it and im sure its not much different if any, will atleast give u a general idea for now..

Black86tri-z
10-04-2007, 12:29 AM
that easy, maby ill fix it and beat on it more, nahhhhhhhhhh to lazy still have it if intrested

84honda200s
10-04-2007, 06:32 AM
Does it really matter if its on the compresion stroke or not?

yes it matters. if its not tdc on the compression stroke it wont spark when it should. it will spark while the piston is at the bottom (bdc). but as long as you use the marking on the fly wheel you should be ok. contact dammit for a manual. his are cheaper than ebay as far as i know.

atctim
10-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Wait a minute - if that cam chain just "fell off" while the engine was running, you may have more internal engine damage than just putting the cam chain back on it and resetting the timing. You could have a bent valve at the very least.

Just a heads up to you on this - sometimes these really "simple" jobs can be a real headache and money pit as well.

Black86tri-z
10-04-2007, 08:38 AM
no my buddy pulled it out because hes a retard