PDA

View Full Version : 83/84 R air filter ???

Huffa
10-01-2007, 07:02 PM
What brand air filter are you guys running and any negatives about them ?

I have a K&N on mine, it's a monster of a thing and I don't care for it, I'd rather have a stock one, Twin Air or Uni unless there are other good ones out there that I don't know about ?

I don't have the #4 screen on here either, do I need it ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/huffa/1839_AIRCLEANER83-84.gif

edog
10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Use the K+N if it fits in the airbox.

No need for #4.

Huffa
10-01-2007, 07:20 PM
What's wrong wih a foam one ? I heard the K & N's can pass fine dust through and as far as breathing better I think that's a crock and they just don't seem suitable for a machine that sees a lot of dust/dirt and I'd rather have a filter where it's a 15 minute job and your done.

The K&N you have to wait a day and make sure it's dry before you oil them, I just don't like anything about them and they weigh a ton !

SYKO
10-01-2007, 07:24 PM
I got a uni on my 83 works great, wait a day? is this in the winter? man k&ns dry fairly quick I dont know what your doing, and if your worried about the weight of the k&n take a dump....

jason85atc250r
10-01-2007, 07:30 PM
keep the K/N filter they work way better if you oil them rite. alot eaiser to clean also.

Huffa
10-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I got a uni on my 83 works great, wait a day? is this in the winter? man k&ns dry fairly quick I dont know what your doing, and if your worried about the weight of the k&n take a dump....

Not worried about the weight at all, just saying they do weigh a lot more then a foam job.

How can you tell for sure your's is really dry since it's like a cotton weave in cased in the screening ?

That's why I wait a day to make sure.

Huffa
10-01-2007, 08:04 PM
keep the K/N filter they work way better if you oil them rite. alot eaiser to clean also.

Not if you use no-toil, then a foam job is just as easy.

I must say though, you guys seem to like the K & N's very much, appreciate your comments, but I'd still rather have a foam one.

edog
10-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Here is what I use.Stop being cheap and get this!!!!!

Huffa
10-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Here is what I use.Stop being cheap and get this!!!!!

My filter is 3 times that size 5 " diameter X almost 9" !! Why did they make the airboxes so small on yours? It's wimpo man !

Looks like a 110 filter or something, that filter sucks or doesn't suck ? :lol:

jason85atc250r
10-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Not worried about the weight at all, just saying they do weigh a lot more then a foam job.

How can you tell for sure your's is really dry since it's like a cotton weave in cased in the screening ?

That's why I wait a day to make sure.

the stuff you spray on is sticky it stays tacky so the dirt stciks

jason85atc250r
10-01-2007, 10:02 PM
My filter is 3 times that size 5 " diameter X almost 9" !! Why did they make the airboxes so small on yours? It's wimpo man !

Looks like a 110 filter or something, that filter sucks or doesn't suck ? :lol:

edog has a factory style k/n that waht i have on my 85atc250r. it's about 5" by 4" long. it clamos on the side of the air box.

Huffa
10-01-2007, 10:15 PM
I had two K & N on my vehicles, I was not impressed at all, they claim better gas milage and an increase in power, I didn't get either in either vehicle, that's another reason I'm turned off by them.

If the power was better, you would surely have to dyno it to tell.

If your happy with them, that's cool, I'm sticking with the foam. If they are so good, why are they not made for motocross bike then ?

Tri-ZNate
10-01-2007, 10:32 PM
I got a twin air on my R because I'm Cheap. "Supposedly" they flow as well as K$N and have the protection of a uni

Huffa
10-01-2007, 10:34 PM
I got a twin air on my R because I'm Cheap. "Supposedly" they flow as well as K$N and have the protection of a uni

I really wouldn't say your cheap, Twin airs are good filters !

Rustytinhorn
10-02-2007, 12:48 AM
We have stock foam filters in all our bikes but one. I've never had a stock foam filter let me down. And when left in the original air box, they last forever. I think the foam filter is easier to maintain, and cleanings and oilings cost a lot less because you dont have to buy the specail solvents and spray on oil. With foam its dishsoap and regular old 90w oil.
The exception bike has a K&N on it, but I also have a uni dual stage foam filter I am going to try out and see how I like.

Tri-ZNate
10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
I really wouldn't say your cheap, Twin airs are good filters !

Comparing K$N to twin air. $52 compared to $28. I'm Cheap :lol: