PDA

View Full Version : questions about clearances after chroming and powder coating

JasonB
10-01-2007, 04:28 PM
For my 83R : Im looking at having my durablue axle chromed and having my 400ex hubs powder coated black. Now when this all happens, I realize there will be more material in the way of the splines fitting like they do now. They fit nice and tight as it is, i know a powder coater can tape off something like the inside of the hubs where the splines are before spraying and baking, but I know nothing about the chroming process. Will there be alot more material in the splines from the chroming?

I am still new to both powder coating and chroming, my brother has done a lot of powder coating but thats about the only experience with it I have. any thoughts about this would be great! Thanks :cool:

jason

SYKO
10-01-2007, 04:58 PM
chrome is very very thing, way thinner than PC and shouldnt pose a problem

jeffatc250r
10-01-2007, 05:31 PM
chrome is very very thing, way thinner than PC and shouldnt pose a problem

Im not so sure about that. I too thought the same until i had my swinger and axle done. The chrome in the pivot area and also the carrier section had to be ground out with a dremel, it sucked and took forever. Also had to do the same to my axle where the bearings ride, i couldnt get the bearings to go on. So if your gonna go with chrome, make sure they rubber-plug these areas, along with anything that has threads! i have a tripple tree with a broken bolt in it because the holes werent plugged off, i should have taken my time and got a tap to chase the threads, but you know how it is when you get shiny things, you just want to put em on!. Powder is much easier to get rid of if it ends up in places it isnt supposed to be.