PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil 4 stroke synthetic for ATC

KDBCAPT
10-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Has anyone tried the Amsoil synthetic 4 stroke ATV oil ? According to the manufacturer it is recommended for wet clutch applications. I'm thinking of trying it in my 200M.

Local Canadian Tire store has it in 0W-40 grade, which is supposed to cover all climate temps from summer to winter.

Thanks.

ccdhowell
10-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Are you talking about the 0w40 oil? If so, it is an outstanding oil and would work well in your 200m. You wouldn't have cold start issues with it over the winter. Try it, you'll like it.

KDBCAPT
10-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Yes, that is exactly the oil... I read some posts about synthetics possibly damaging older engines, I never had any problems with Amsoil synthetic, I have been running it in my VTR1000 for years, it's a twin and generates lots of heat..

thefox
10-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I use the full synthetic Amsoil in my motorcycle too. It did burn more oil then normal until the first oil change, now it burns less. I started running it when the bike was 25 years and 15,000 or so miles old. I don't run it in my trikes, for the number of times I change my oil it would not be cost effective. For the trikes I change it based on how dirty it gets with a minimum of 1 change per year, For the 200 miles (on a good year) that I ride each machine I don't think there would be much difference between conventional oil and synthetic. Now putting thousands of miles on the bike each year has me only using the synthetic in that engine.

I’m no expert though.